65. The End

A few weeks went by, and our letters came in the mail. We opened our letters together on call with our friends. I couldn't believe my eyes. We had all been accepted into Danganronpa 53! As soon as I had read the words, I jumped up from my spot and tackled Shuichi with glee, which kinda sucked because he was still reading. We enjoyed a good laugh and a great celebration that day. 

The studio process took three months of planning and writing scripts and essential scenes. We went through scenario after scenario, trying to find the most satisfying end. We settled on a few important scenes--the protagonist switch, motive videos, Harukawa's talent being exposed, Yumeno's crisis, and a few more--and we established the character's baselines, but we decided that we'd let our characters run a bit wild.

I was required to keep a journal of events, so I started writing everything from my recent move in with Saihara to what I ate for breakfast. I tried to keep the more...concerning parts of my past few months out of the journal, so I wouldn't be arrested or questioned if it was taken up. I was glad enough to have a way to talk to my future self though.

I felt so...excited when we walked into the room filled with tech. I would be there for quite a while, I was sure, enjoying a false reality that would neatly write over all the horrible things I had ever felt. I'd become someone new. Someone extraordinary. Someone who would be better prepared for life. Someone who would never meet the old me.

Saihara was by my side. He didn't seem as excited as I was. I couldn't place why. After all, he'd never be suspected for the various murders. Kiibo had orchestrated a leak of the files pertaining to the Gas Mask killer, and as soon as the information was made public, copycat killers took the reins. There was no reason to suspect a highschooler with no connection to the crimes. 

I felt like whatever was bothering him wasn't that. I didn't know what exactly it was. We logged out of all our accounts and only wrote down the passwords in our journals. Kotoko was adopted officially by Koma. His uncle supported him, and the time in the spotlight might even bring his absent parents back--they were both in showbiz.

This was good. Team Danganronpa was doing us so much good. So why did Saihara seem so...unnerved?

It was too late to ask now. We were being hooked up to the machines. I squeezed his hand once before we went in. 

After all, we wouldn't come out the same. 

"...O-Oma-kun?"

I heard a voice, but I couldn't place it. I couldn't open my eyes at all. I couldn't move.

The voice paused, then continued. "I, ah...I wanted to see you. I wanted to see if it was true; if you really were...in a coma."

Coma? Yeah, probably. I felt like giving a light laugh, but I couldn't.

"It's...It's been a week. The doctors said they didn't know when you'd wake up, but...I...I believe in you."

A week since what? What...happened? I racked my brain for the answer. I didn't know. I was...frozen. Frozen, and confused.

"I...wanted to thank you. Without you, we couldn't have found out the truth. Without you, we'd be stuck...in the killing game."

Killing...game? I didn't know what the words meant, but I knew they were bad.

"...I..." The voice sighed. "I miss you. I don't know why. We weren't particularly close; at least, not that I remember. I guess I realize part of why you did the things you did. You did it so we could overcome our despair, right? You wanted us to stop being sad, so you stirred us up. You made us angry so we wouldn't be sad. I...ah, we...well, you succeeded. You did well. And I...miss you."

The voice started to break, and I could have sworn I heard a small sob.

"I...miss you so much. I miss your pranks, and your antics, and your big grin, and your stupid schemes, and...and there's just something about you that I just miss. I miss you...so...so don't keep me waiting anymore, okay? Please...come back, okay? C-Come back..."

The voice sniffled before leaving.

I'm finally putting this book to rest. It's been a wild 65 chapters. This counts as a novel hahahah. I may come back to this and write the sequel after a bit, once I'm ready. But for now, I'll leave you guys with this. I had so much fun writing this and I can't thank you all enough for supporting it! Thank you to everyone who read my silly little book. Stay tuned for other cool little projects from yours truly!