46. we just got a letter

We soon decided that I was well enough to go back to school. It had been a few weeks since the incident, and most-if not all-of my injuries were healed. Saihara had been delivering my work to me, which allowed him to snuggle me while I worked. He definitely wasn't cheating off my papers. Nope.

"I'm just looking over a few...you know...it can be hard to understand a lesson when you're not there to hear it." He lied.

I smirked at him as I walked through the hallway. As soon as I sat down at lunch, I got a big hug from Harukawa. 

"You had me worried sick, Oma-senpai!" 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have dropped in on you without w-warning, hahah." Harukawa and Saihara sat down on either sides of me as I recalled the day I ran from home.

"No, no...whatever happened that day, you needed to get away from it. Speaking of which...what did happen that day?"

Saihara raised an eyebrow. "I never got an explanation for that day either."

"I-It's...complicated." I muttered, trying to avoid the question. 

"How complicated can it be? She was holding your sister hostage." Harukawa responded with a frown.

"I'm sorry- fucking what?" Saihara's eyes widened. "I must be hearing things because I know damn well you didn't just say that she was holding Kotoko hostage."

I tried not to look at either of them. "There are...a-a lot of things I haven't told you two. I'm t-trying to find...well, the right way to s-say it."

 "Babe, I work with Saihara to kill pedophiles. I'm sure whatever it is, it's fine." Harukawa responded as Saihara calmed down.

"You know. I almost f-forgot about that."

My boyfriend rubbed my shoulder with a smile. "You can tell her when you're ready, okay love?"

"I..." I turned to her, letting out a long breath. It was hard to force the words through my dry throat. 

Harukawa nodded. "Yes?"

"Well...basically...I'm...an escort?"

"...Oh."

"...Oh?"

She blinked. "I mean...I guess it's not super surprising, considering how you showed up at my house. I just...never put two and two together."

"I see..." I explained what happened between me, Akamatsu, Momota, and my client a few weeks ago.

"And he tried to take it out on you?" Saihara asked, his face growing dark. 

"Yeah. I, ah...e-escaped. I didn't really h-have much of a choice. I knew that she would s-suspect you, Saihara-kun, so I w-went to Harukawa-chan's house."

"...So...then what happened?"

"She...She c-called me after school that day. She'd locked Kotoko in the b-basement and...didn't feed her since I left. I, o-of course, ran home, and that's when..." I froze up. "...t-that's when...it's hard to talk about it..."

Saihara placed his hand on mine. "...That's when she hurt you, huh?"

"...Oh, sweetie..." Harukawa rubbed my back as I started to tear up. 

I wiped my eyes quickly. "It's fine. It's fine. It happened like three weeks ago, and I can't even remember most of it, so it's fine." 

"Oma-senpa-"

"It's. Fine." I cut her off. The bell rang, and I stood up quickly. "I'm good, you guys. Really."

The two looked at me with concern as I walked away. They chatted for a bit, but I didn't stick around to hear it. I was already on my way to my locker.

I opened my locker, the familiarity of the action making me feel a little more grounded. Something caught my eye as I reached for my books. An envelope with my name on it sat on top of my things, as if someone put it through the slits in my locker door. 

I grabbed it, along with my books, and went to class. In class, I opened the envelope and read the contents.

Dear Oma Kokichi,

Congratulations! You have been selected for a virtual trial for a chance to be in the new season of Danganronpa 53! If you are selected, you will be contacted for an audition tape, where you will explain your aspirations for the character you will create to be a part of Danganronpa 53! This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance, so don't miss out!

Qualifications for the Trial

-Seventeen years or older
-Recommendation by a Team Danganronpa Scout Member
-Known love for Danganronpa
-Willing to work with others on the character arc/story

The trial is in a virtual reality simulator--not unlike the ones Team Danganronpa uses in the actual show--and will contain battles, puzzles, DR trivia, and other competitions. You will be given three "lives" and if you lose all three, you will be pulled out of the simulation. Even if you do not "win", you may still be chosen for the audition. 

If you're interested, please meet us at (insert location here). We will book you a date to compete in the simulation within the month.

Signed,

Team Danganronpa

I frowned at myself. Why would I, of all people, be chosen for something like this? I mean, it's a dream come true, but it's still puzzling. Despite my skeptical thoughts, I felt a twinge of excitement as I waited for class to be over. 

Words: 814