56. birthddayyyyy

"...Huh?" 

Saihara led me through the door, where everyone was waiting. All of my friends and classmates, gathered together to throw me a surprise party. I stared at the cake in front of me with wonder. 

Momota stood next to me proudly. "I learned a few things from my job; whipped up a cake that you'll die for. You're welcome." 

"I know you're not taking credit for the cake decoration." Harukawa said with an angry smirk. 

"Wouldn't dream of it." 

Amami smirked as he ruffled my hair before placing some gifts on the table. "Happy Birthday, little prince. I hope you like everything." 

I stared at the presents for a moment. It looked like I had gotten one from everyone; Momota, Harukawa, Kiibo and Iruma, Amami, Shinguji, and even my little sister. They stood around me as I sat in front of the cake, awaiting my response. 

After a moment of silence, I sniffled loudly. I had a small grin on my face and big, fat tears rolling down my cheeks. "T-Thank you guys!" 

Saihara smiled, placing a hand on my back. "Aw, Kokichi-senpai..." 

"It's...I-It's just..." I tried to wipe my tears away. "No one's e-ever done anything this...this nice to me b-before...I've...n-never had a birthday party this amazing..." 

Kotoko huffed. "Forgive my emotional brother; that bitch always got us a single cupcake and a couple hundred yen." 

Momota frowned, looking over to us. "That bitch refers to...your mom, right?" 

"You mean...you've never gotten a real birthday present before?" Iruma asked softly. 

I simply sniffled in response. It seems like the mood had soured. 

"...W-Which is why..." I started, trying to change the subject. "...I really, really a-appreciate all the work you guys put in. Thank you all very much!" 

Saihara's smile returned. "Yes. Thank you all. Without your guys' help, none of this would have been possible. Now, let's blow out those candles and open up presents!" 

The entire group gathered around, and on a count of three they all sang Happy Birthday to me. I remembered when my actual mom would sing that song. Even then, we couldn't go all out like this. I'd get small gifts and a pitiful cake. The biggest we'd ever celebrated was for shichi-go-san, and that wasn't even a real birthday; rather, it was a celebration of a long life and good luck. I tried to block out the memory of my shitty father yelling at me to stay still while I tried not to cry in the photo. 

I blew out the candles after they finished singing. I was finally eighteen. I wasn't old enough to get a driver's license or go drinking, but I was old enough to rent a house...or get married. The thought of marriage crossed my mind fleetingly, and I blushed as I looked over to Saihara. I had fantasized about settling down with him before, sure, but I never thought I'd see the day where I'd actually have that choice.  

"Now, how about we pass out presents?" Harukawa smiled. "Here, Oma-senpai." 

She placed the present in my hand and I unwrapped it carefully. An expensive set of colored pencils sat in my lap, one that I had to restrain myself from opening up and inspecting immediately. 

"Okay, me next~" Amami smirked. I opened his box to find...a blunt. 

I stared at him for a moment before he bursted out laughing. 

"Okay, okay, here's the actual gift." He said as he pulled out a drawing tablet and stylus.  

My jaw dropped. "Holy shit, Amami-kun, how much did that cost?" 

"Not important. What's important is that I got it so you can take your art to the next level...and to hopefully redeem myself for being such an asshole the first time we met..." He muttered the last part. 

I laughed. "You're more than forgiven, Amami-kun." 

He gave me a big smile. His boyfriend was next. "I knew you enjoyed this sort of stuff when we first met, Oma-senpai." Shinguji said as I opened his box to find a set of hair bands, decorative clips, and a long brush. 

"...Is this a-an insult in disguise?" I asked with a smirk. 

He shook his head furiously, but I laughed him off. I set down the box and was handed another. 

"Just...don't make too big of a deal about it." Momota muttered as he handed me the smallest gift on the table. 

I opened it to see...a QUO gift card for almost ten thousand yen at his cafe. I smiled widely as I thanked him, excited to see those kitties again. 

Finally, Iruma and Kiibo stepped up. "I saw that you were looking at these in your search history." Kiibo stated bluntly. 

"And I helped build and improve it." Iruma continued. 

I opened the small box to see a switchblade. I picked it up and balanced it in my hand before realizing that there was a liquid inside. Inspecting it, I found a small button and a little nozzle. I grabbed a box and pressed a button, being sure to spray it away from my friends.  

"Pepper spray too?!" I exclaimed as I looked up at them with wide eyes.  

"Yep." Kiibo said. "Come to us if you ever need refills." 

I smirked. "Amami-kun is probably grateful he went before you and got forgiven." 

"I am." He chuckled. 

"Happy Birthday, my love." I received a small kiss on the forehead from Saihara before he leaned into me and whispered. "My gift is in the bedroom." 

I blushed immediately, which made everyone at the table laugh. 

authors note: might be smut next chapter??? haven't written it yet so idk 

Words: 938