49. Puzzle games and shit

I braced myself as I waited. At the bottom of the screen, I could see a loading bar running. I closed my eyes until I heard a ding. 

When I opened my eyes, I was no longer in a chair. In fact, it didn't even feel like I had a headset on. There was a bright light above me. I laid face up in a blank room. 

"..Woah." 

I stood up, observing my surroundings. This wasn't real; it was easy enough to tell. There was no...smell to this place. I felt the wall. The texture was a pattern, not only visually. I could feel small, pointed yet organized bumps on the wall. I suppose without those bumps, it would be hard to create friction, but still...it's odd. 

A small mirror sat in front of me. I looked at myself and was shocked to find that my appearance had completely changed. The proportions were completely off. I could only describe the feeling as being forcibly chibi-fied. 

I giggled to myself. No, I don't want to become a marketable plushie! 

I examined the mirror further, and I discovered that it was able to be opened. I pulled it open and found a large kitchen knife. I also found a small instruction manual. I flipped through the pages and discovered a shortcut to my inventory. There was a wristband on my wrist that displayed my inventory and my health. Like a video game. 

 I tapped the knife on the wristband, and it seemed to dematerialize in my hand. 

"Cool. So that's how I put stuff up, huh?" 

I walked back to the center of the room, where there was a button that read "Start Puzzles." I hesitated before pressing it. 

The first one was a simple sliding puzzle. It was a Monokuma head made up of eight blocks. I was given a ninth, and I was supposed to slide the pieces around until the Monokuma head was perfectly visible, then add the ninth block to the spot that was missing. There was a five minute timer, but I didn't need it; I finished the puzzle in less than half the time. 

The next one was a bit more complicated. The classic fox, chicken, corn puzzle. The narrative is that a farmer has to get a fox, a chicken, and a sack of corn across the river. Left alone, however, and the fox will eat the chicken. The same would happen if the chicken was left alone with the corn. The farmer can only have one item in his boat at a time. I smirked. The trick was to get the chicken across first, go back with an empty boat, bring the fox, go back with the chicken in your boat, then leave the chicken and take the sack of corn across. Since the fox won't eat the corn, you're then free to take the chicken to the other side of the river. 

Next was another classic puzzle. The two guards. One only told lies, and the other only told the truth. Figure out the liar and you win, but you only have three questions. I smirked again. Simple enough. I asked for the name of the mastermind of the first Danganronpa killing game. One said "Junko Enoshima," and the other said "Mukuro Ikusaba." Fuck. They're technically both right. I then asked who died first between the two. That got them. I found the liar easily after that. 

I was released after three puzzles, and found myself spawning into a different location. I smirked at my luck. Three easy enough puzzles...so I still have three hearts.

It looked like I had spawned alone. I was in a large, mostly blank dormitory. It looked like some of the textures on the walls were blank, which was surreal considering how the simulation felt like real life. I could see an area outside the dormitory. Obviously, the simulation was modeled after the first game. 

In the center of the room was a large sign. It read as follows: 

Dear participants, 

You are now in stage two of the trial. The puzzle phase gave you a certain amount of hearts, which are impossible to show to others. To gain more hearts, you must eliminate another participant and steal their hearts. But be careful! If you gain hearts, and everyone knows it, then you may become a target for those looking to gain hearts. It's best to eliminate another participant privately. And remember: Elimination does not mean you will not be chosen. Please await further instruction as we move into this stage. 

So...I thought to myself. It's a motive. 

The rooms had all blank labels on the doors. I approached one and placed my hand on the handle. Instantly, the label read my name. So this room is mine now. 

I walked into my room, exploring a bit. It was similar to the outside; mostly blank, no real decorations. I suppose it's a budget issue.  

I smirked, leaving my door slightly open. I went to the bathroom and turned on the light to create the illusion that I was in there. I then waited in the closet. 

Soon enough, I heard the door open. Just as I suspected. Someone saw how small I was...and thought I was an easy target.

I pulled out my knife and observed as Araya walked into my room, a metal bat in hand. She closed the door behind her, muttering to herself about how sorry she was. She then approached the bathroom. 

I sprung into action, getting behind her and placing the knife against her neck. 

"Drop. It." 

Her metal bat clattered to the floor. Araya froze entirely. 

"You came in here to kill me. Didn't you?" 

She gulped before nodding. 

"You only have one heart, don't you?" 

Another small nod. 

"And you assumed I had more than one heart, right?" 

"...Y-You seemed smart when we first met..." She muttered. 

"I am smart. Not smart enough to beat an impossible puzzle though." I sighed. "Truth be told, I'm just like you." 

"...Eh?" 

"I only have one heart." I lied. 

"Oh..." She sniffled. "So...you're...gonna k-kill me now?" 

I smirked to myself as I pulled the knife away from her neck. "No...no, I won't kill you. In fact...I want to help you, Araya-san." 

"...You mean it?" 

"Of course...we're friends, aren't we?" 

She sniffled. "T-Thank you...thank you so much!" 

"Don't worry about it. So, here's how this is gonna go..." 

I explained to her my plan, and soon, we set things into action. I wrote a note to Iwasaki, asking him to meet me in a classroom later, and slid it under his door. Me and Araya made our way to the spot, and my new friend hid herself well. I stood there, waiting. 

Words: 1128