64. Sleepy talk

I must have closed my eyes at some point. My sister and I were pretty exhausted by the end of the day, and we were pretty used to falling asleep only a few feet away from each other. A small kiss on the forehead woke me up. I rubbed my eyes and let out a small yawn. 

"...Hey love..." Saihara whispered to me, laying next to me on the bed.  

I gave him a sleepy smile. "Hey...how did it go?" 

"Pretty good, all things considered. I got away with it." 

"Oh?" My eyebrows raised with interest. "What happened?" 

He smiled. "I was the second one to finish my questions and load into the world, so I simply walked into the first person's room, shot them, traded out my gun for their bat, and left. I hid for a while before I snuck back into the rooms and waited for someone to load in with me. That way, I could pick my room in front of them, and they'd assume I loaded in at the same time as them. I would have an alibi for the time of the murder and no connection with the victim, so I wasn't suspected." 

"...Wow..." I stared at him in complete and utter awe. "Y-You're really smart, Shuichi-kun..." 

"Eh, I'm probably not the first person to think about that method." Saihara muttered with a sheepish smile.  

"Still...it's p-pretty cool." I scooted closer to him. "Who did they accuse?" 

"Oh, I didn't know her name. She loaded in a few minutes after I did and picked her room like she was supposed to. The fourth person to load in told everybody about it, and everyone suspected her. It didn't help that he loaded in at the same time as another person, so the two both saw that she was the second person to choose a room. That illusion of an alibi created suspicion around her." 

I smirked. "You're too good at killing people, Shuichi." 

"It's almost as if I'd done it before, huh~?" He grinned, his sarcasm obvious.  

We laid there for a moment, giving each other the same shit-eating grin. I crawled close to him and giggled, laying my head against his chest. 

After a moment, Saihara spoke up. "So, what happened while I was gone?"  

I hesitated, pursing my lips as I thought up my response. "...Nothing too exciting, I can tell you that much. Y-You're the more thrilling family member, it seems." 

It wasn't a lie, exactly. I looked up at him with a smile. His expression...well, I could tell he and Saihara-oji were truly related. They had the same look of suspicion in their eyes. I stared at him for a moment, wondering if his uncle had told him anything. 

"...So...Kotoko just wanted to pop in?" 

I smirked as I looked over to my sister. "Heh, yeah. We shared an old king-sized mattress at our...other house, so we're u-used to sleeping near one another." 

"Really?" He gave me a curious glance. 

"Yeah. Though, compared to this bed, we m-might as well have been sleeping on rocks." I let out a dramatic sigh, stretching my arms out like a cat. "Seriously, I d-don't know how I slept before moving in with you, Shuichi." 

Saihara let out a small laugh, nudging me with his elbow. 

"Hey!" I giggled, nudging him back. 

He wrapped his arms around me with a smile. I felt him squeeze my body as I nuzzled into his chest, letting out a small yawn. Saihara kissed my forehead as I sighed contently. 

"...Hey, Shuichi?" I muttered, a question lingering on my mind. 

He looked down at me. "Yes, my love?" 

"Whatever happens in the simulation...whatever happens to us in the future...we'll always be together, right?" 

"...Of course we will, my dearest." Saihara told me. He leaned closer and gave me a small kiss on the forehead. I let out a small yawn as my eyes started to feel heavy again. I fell asleep in his arms again, the sweet, familiar feeling of his embrace whisking me away from my problems once again. 

Words: 683