Two Umbrellas

Marinette Dupain-Cheng was an amazingly easy girl to fall in love with. No, seriously! Half of the class at Francois DuPont has had a giant crush on her. But she had her eyes on only one person-Adrien Agreste (we are NOT talking about Kim).

I mean, it's debatable as to whether or not they could work as an actual couple, considering Adrien's refusal to oust Lie-La and Marinette's frustration with that, but I digress.

The first time Marinette fell in love, it was all because of an umbrella (the second time too, but we're getting to that! Wait your turn, Damian).

Marinette was walking into class on a Monday morning. She had heard about a new kid, one of Chloe's friends, joining the class from Chloe's annoying ramblings. Hopefully he wouldn't be too big of a jerk.

She was just inside the classroom when she saw a blond haired boy bent over her seat, concentrating on sticking gum to her chair? What the heck!

She stormed over to him. "Hey doofus! What do you think you're doing?" His head shot up as he heard her speaking. "Who, me?" He pointed to himself. Marinette rolled her eyes. "Yes, obviously! Why are you sticking gum to my chair, Chloe 2.0?"

The pretty boy sighed. "I'm trying to get this off your chair. And I know that Chloe is annoying, but she can't be that bad!"

Marinette and the entire class scoffed at him. "Yeah right. Chloe is the worst, and the fact that you're defending her isn't helping your case. Get. Off. My. Chair!"

He quickly scrambled away and towards his own desk, next to Nino.

And that's the first time they met. Not a great start, but they eventually get to the dating stage. Eventually, Adrien and Marinette get into a fight, and he breaks her heart. She decides to move to Gotham, New Jersey, the land of opportunity (not).

So now we have a young, broken hearted, super talented woman who moves to the big city, meets a handsome, also broken hearted businessman, and they fall in love. Hallmark who?

Anyway, this is how they meet.

Unfortunately for (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) Marinette, Damian Wayne is a notoriously blunt man. Seriously. The guy should probably tone it down a little.

He has chilled out a little in the time he's lived with Batman, but only that little. To put it in Jason Todd's words, he 'still has a stick up his ass the size of Texas.' Or maybe he was talking about Bruce. We'll never know, unless somebody happens to ask him. Anybody willing?

Getting back on topic, Marinette had just moved into her apartment in Gotham, and was getting the 'lay of the land' or so to speak. She didn't know anyone, so she was understandably nervous. She had gained quite a bit of confidence during her years as Ladybug, but she was still human.

And so, she decided to get a head start on designing by walking to a quiet coffee shop around the corner.

Unfortunately, like it often does in Gotham, it started to rain.

The door chimed as she opened it, the soft tinkle disturbing the quietness of the shop. She shivered as the heat of the shop worked to combat the chill of the outside, her nose and fingers immediately thawing. She quickly got in line, picked her drink and ordered.

She decided to start designing while the barista made her drink, so she pulled out her tablet and started working.

A while later, a sharp poke startled her out of her spell. "The barista has been trying to get your attention for awhile, miss." Marinette looked up to see the deepest emerald eyes she had ever seen. She quickly shook herself out of it, sighing internally.

"Thank you, sir." The mysterious man nodded slightly before walking away to another table.

Marinette grabbed her drink, packing her things. She noticed the other man doing the same. They both made for the door. Marinette opened it first, making her way out onto the front step of the coffee shop. She would've been immediately soaked, had it not been for the awning.

The mysterious guy stepped out after her. She felt him side eye her, before he said, "Ma'am, if it isn't too much trouble, would you like my umbrella?"

Marinette sighed. "Thank you sir, but I don't want you to get wet at my expense." The man shook his head. "I'll have a car coming in a few moments. I will not get wet. You, however, need this more than I do. Please accept it."

Marinette's lips curled up in a trace if a smile. "Okay, sir. If you insist."

That day, Marinette took the umbrella and the man's phone number (to know how to give it back, she said). And that's how Marinette fell in love for a second time.