Betrothed

Marinette's POV

After Lila turned my friends to my bullies, I was sent to Gotham by Sabine Cheng, now my adoptive mother. I bought an apartment, hoping to find my Demon at some point.

I needed to enroll in a school to look less suspicious, so I chose Gotham Academy. Luckily (pun intended), they have a scholarship program, which I entered and won.

Today is my first day, so I quickly dress in my new uniform, eat breakfast, and head to school. I ask a student for directions to the front office.

"How can I help you, sweetie?" The woman at the front desk asks. My voice comes out sweeter than spun sugar. "My name is Marianne Cheng, the scholarship student. I need my schedule, Miss." She gives me a sweet smile, printing it out. "Have a good first day, sweetie!" I nod obediently before walking out.

I already have the schematics of the school memorized, so I immediately know where I'm going. I walk at a fast pace, accidentally slamming into someone. He goes down, hitting the floor hard. "I apologize....Demon?" His head jerks up, looking at me with jade green eyes, surprised at the nickname.

"...Angel?" He shoots off the floor and grabs my face in his hands, kissing me. Tears track down my face when we finally separate. "I thought you were dead! That is what Mother told me." I shake my head. "No. The assassin that was assigned to keep me safe wanted to escape the League, so I went with her."

He nods, understanding that. "But, I did know that you were in Gotham. I apologize for not coming sooner. I had a supervillain (or supervillains) of my own to deal with."

He stares at me, shocked. Then he shakes his head. "I should not be surprised that you know, Angel." I shrug.

"I had a huge crush on Robin for awhile, so I figured that I'd be dead if it was anyone but my Demon." He stares at me, a shocked look in his eyes at my confession. I give him an innocent smile, laughing internally at his stupefied state.

I finally manage to snap him out of it, dragging him along with me to my classroom. That boy will never be smooth.