Betrothed (Prologue)

Marinette's POV

   My Master and I are walking through a blizzard, Wayzz shielding us from the cold and snow. We eventually reach the League's Base, and Master Fu requests an audience with Talia Al Ghul.

  My parents sold me to the Order when I was a baby, as the Guardians sensed the creation magick in my blood and my parents needed food. I have apprenticed for Master Fu my whole life. He cares for me as if I were his granddaughter.

  An assassin brings me to a bedroom while Master Fu and Talia talk. There is a boy around my age sitting on the bed. He asks, "Who are you?" I answer, "I am Marinette Fu, apprentice to the Great Guardian of the Miraculous. You must be the Demon Heir, Damian Al Ghul." He gives me a calculating glare, surprised, but recovers and throws a blade at me. I catch it inches from my face. My lips curl up in a deadly smirk. "I guess this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Five Years Later

Talia comes into our shared bedroom. The time has come. Demon and I are ten years old, the earliest age of acceptable betrothal in the League. We are corraled into different rooms by the servants, and dressed up. I wear a beautiful set of bone-white armor, and my Demon wears a set in Talia's-soul black.

We walk to the altar at the front of the room in sync, a procession following us. We kneel and present our hands, face up. Talia takes a double bladed dagger and makes a tiny cut with each blade on both of our palms. We don't flinch, having been trained to withstand pain.

She drips our blood into a cup with Lazarus Pit water. When the blood touches it, the radioactive green seems to burn brighter. Talia holds the potion to our lips, and we each drink exactly half. She announces, "It is done. The Demon Heir and his betrothed!" The procession of assassins cheer.

Suddenly, explosions ring in the courtyard. Everyone's faces turn grim. Talia assigns me to her advisor, Sabine Cheng, and takes Damian to see his father, in Gotham.

We were separated.

I have never forgotten my Demon, and I hope he hasn't forgotten me.