Chapter 37

After talking to Dr

After talking to Dr. Coleman and checking out of the hospital, Oliver drove me back home while Cesar followed. We arrived together and walked into my house, finding Richard on the couch with Lucy watching 'The Fast and Furious'.

"Jane, what are you doing here? I thought you were in surgery?" He put Lucy down and got up walking over to me.

I took a deep breath as he stood in front of me. "Richard, they couldn't do the surgery because the cancer has spread basically all over my body and there's nothing they can do," I tell him and his eyebrows frown.

"I-but I thought-" He shook his head while holding, "How long?" He paused looking up.

"Six to eight months," I answer quietly glancing down.

He brings into a bone-crushing hug and I hug him back.

"I'm sorry," He mumbled into my short hair.

"It's alright," I whisper holding my tears back.

I let go and cleared my throat.

"I'm going to freshen up," I say to them and walk up the stairs to my bathroom. I close the door behind me and lean my back on it. I look at myself through the mirror and start to cry to myself. I slid down the door and held my knees to my chest sobbing. I'm going to die. There's no more hope or chances. This was it.

I hadn't realized how long I was in the bathroom because there was a soft knock. I lift my head up.

"Jane?" Cesar's soft voice said.

I sniffle, "Yeah?" my voice croaked and I cleared my throat. The next thing I knew, I was being pushed by the door. I guess I forgot to lock the door because Cesar slipped in and closed the door again. He quickly sat beside me and looked me in the eyes. Tears ran down my cheeks and I couldn't stop crying. His glasses were slightly slipping down before he pushed them back up. He intertwined our fingers and kissed my head, which slowed down my tears.

"You alright?" He asked softly.

I shake my head 'no'.

"What a stupid question to ask I know," He chuckles lightly.

"Tell me what's going on sunshine," He turns his body to face me while still holding my hand.

I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. I cover my face with my hands and start to cry again.

"Hey, look at me," Cesar's hand moved my hands out of my face. I wipe my snot with my sleeve and see he's hunched down a bit to meet my eye level.

"I can't let you sit here all day and cry. Come here," He opens his arms for me and pats his legs so I can sit on him.

I don't hesitate to jump into his arms. He wrapped my legs around his waist and smoothed my back with fingers as mine were wrapped around his neck. We sat on the floor like this for a few solid minutes and he let me cry on his shoulder.