Chapter 24

It's been a few weeks since I ran into Ms

It's been a few weeks since I ran into Ms. Goodman. I've been avoiding going to Cesar's house so he's been coming over to mine instead. I always make an excuse to him that I can't go over somehow. I've been going to church with him and luckily his mom has been working double shifts so at times I don't see her. I've also been avoiding seeing my dad at church as well. Work at the shop has picked up and so have my shifts at the club. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold it together. With my new meds and double chemo, I feel like I'm on a none stop treadmill.

I place the sex on the beach drink in front of the drunken girl who was whining to me about how her friends were waiting for her on the dance floor. She scurried off into the sea of dancing sweaty pigs. I roll my eyes and go to the back to get a refill of a tequila bottle. Tossing out the holding bottle and getting a new one.

I turn back around to see Jake sitting at the booth waiting for me to attend to him. I sigh deeply not wanting to put up with him. After Cesar saw him talking to my dad at church I don't want to speak to him. "What can I get you?" I ask with a deep sigh while cleaning the counter on the left of him.

"That's no way to treat a customer," He chuckled. I just look at him and place my hand on my hip stepping back a bit. "And how should I greet them?" I ask.

"With a smile and not sounding depressed," He eats a hand full of peanuts from the bowl in front of him that thousands of people probably touched already.

"Who are you to tell me how I serve my customers? I don't see a name tag on you that screams 'I'm the boss'. So are you going to order something or not?" I say with my teeth gritted and a fake smile.

"Mhm, you choose violence today, didn't you? That's alright I can handle feisty. Also, I'd advise you to not speak to me that way," He cockily with a smirk.

"And why's that?" I snap back irritated.

"Because I just bought this place, so that does make me the boss," His smirk turns into a grin and my mouth drops.

"Now, get me a margarita stat," He orders and I close my trap. I can't afford to lose this job. I make him his margarita and hand it to him. "Thank you," He says before taking a snip of it.

"Why'd you buy this piece of junk club?" I ask while cleaning more cups.

"I needed to invest and since this place is a big hit in town. I thought to myself why not?" He takes another sip of his drink.

"So are you gonna fix up and make it your own?" I ask.

"Yeah I was thinking of adding a better VIP section and expanding more for a kitchen," He says while pointing in the areas.