Chapter 29

It had been a couple of days since I was at Cesar's house but today was Sunday and I was getting ready for church

It had been a couple of days since I was at Cesar's house but today was Sunday and I was getting ready for church. Cesar and Stacey were going to pick up soon. I straighten my denim shirt and fix my white socks. I wore a denim shirt with a cute white long-sleeve shirt and a beige vest, white socks, and my holly platform Dr. Martens along with a tote bag that held my bible, pens, wallet, and keys.

I heard him honk his horn. I run and give Lucy a kiss before walking out the door and locking it. I walk out my gate and Cesar's standing at the car with the door already opened for me. I smile and walk up to him. "Such a gentleman," I give him a kiss on the cheek before sliding in. He closes the door and I say hello to Stacey who was sitting in the backseat.

We make it to church on time and get our seats. The worship team played a few songs before the pastor walked up there and started to preach.

"It is important to forgive others, always. As much as they've hurt you in the past. Jesus forgave people all the time, even when he knew Judas betrayed him..." The pastor leads.

As pastor Tom was preaching someone opened the church's front doors slamming them

As pastor Tom was preaching someone opened the church's front doors slamming them. It caught everyone's attention, even pastor Tom. He paused middle of his sermon and squinted his eyes to see who was disrupting the service. I turn around trying to see who it is but the sun was giving off a shadow. "Stacey!" The man yelled stumbling down the aisle.

I look over at my mom and her eyes widen in fear. "C-Cesar!!" He wooed getting closer to us. He stumbled and was now only a few feet away from us.

Not here.

Not now.

Gosh, damn it.

"Who's that?" Jane whispered in my ear.

I gulp, "My dad."

"Cesar, come on say h-hi to your o-old man!" He hollered getting closer. Pastor Tom got off the altar and called for help. Men of the congregation came and tried to calm him down but then he got aggressive with them. "I want to see my boy!" He barked at them. I stood up moving past Jane and started to walk up to him. "Cesar!" My mom tried to yank my arm but I pulled away.

"Put me down!" He yelled as the men held both of his arms trying to contain him.

I go up to him and he stops squirming.

"Cesar!" He slurred, "I missed you! How good it is to see you!"

"Why are you here? Who do you think you are?" I spat at him not caring if the whole church saw how pissed I was.

"To see you! You've gotten so big oh my," He said smiling his gold tooth exposed. A couple of men held him up as his head swayed forward a bit.

"I thought you were Mexico,"

"I was but then I saw you on the news and her.." He burped pointing at Jane. I look and see her scanning us both with her eyes.

"Go back to Mexico and never come back," I order him.

"Stacey! My love!" He yelled and my mom's face turned red as a tomato from embarrassment. She walked towards us with her head held high.

"Hector, I thought you were in jail," She whispered yelled.

"I escaped!" He hiccuped still smiling.

"And got drunk already! You can't stay sober for more than twenty-four hours!" She said before she started mumbling in Spanish.

"Please, just go," I beg pointing at the door.

"Fine," He said and started to walk away with the men of the congregation.

"Come on ma," I say placing my arm around her shoulders. We turn around and start to walk away when suddenly my mom was pushed forward. I turn around to see who pushed her and it was my dad who had stumbled down. I help my mom up before grabbing him by his shirt and pulling him to walk with me.

"Wait-I'm sorry-Cesar where are we going?" He slurred and stuttered. He smelled like garbage and alcohol.

I yank him up the aisle, "Keep up," I grunt as he stumblingly walks.

We get outside and I push him. "Get out of here!" I yell at him. He gets close to me, "Don't get near me or I'll hit you," I threaten.

"Cesar-a-all I want is to spend time with you. L-Look I know I-I messed up and I-I'm sorry," He steps a few inches closer and I could smell the stench of alcohol making my nose scrunch up.

"No, I'm not believing your lies again," I spat at him and clench my fists.

"C-Cesar-" He stepped and now he was a few inches away. He lifted his arms and reached for a hug and instead, I punched him in the face. He stumbled falling on his butt. I shook my hand out from the hard punch I threw. He was confused wiping the blood from his mouth but angry.

"You little sh*t head!" He yelled getting up. He charged towards me and I moved to the side so he wouldn't hit me. He stumbled again and yelled in frustration. He threw a punch at me but I caught his hand. "I'm not a kid anymore dad, you can't hit me," I tell him and his eyebrows furrow together. He throws another one with his free hand and I catch it as well. I take his fists and push him back. He leans over to his side before standing up again.

He was about to punch me again when I gave him an uppercut and he fell on the floor unconscious. He had blood coming out of his mouth and nose. I was breathing heavily and looked up when someone called my name. I look up to see Jane and my mom running toward me. I saw the whole church outside standing by the entrance watching everything and some were whispering to each other. My mom and Jane both hug me and I embrace them back.

My mom lets go as the police show up. I look down at Jane who's looking up at me, "Nice punches," She says and I couldn't help but smile.

"I learn from the best," I shrug and she laughs.

I lean down and give her a sweet kiss and she complied back the favor. She pulls away, "I'm proud of you," She tells me.

"Thank you," I chuckle bringing her in for another hug.