Chapter 22

I gulp and swing my head back so he couldn't see me

I gulp and swing my head back so he couldn't see me. I start to breathe heavily and shut my eyes. It can't be him. His laugh boomed through the whole house from where he was standing outside the door and it sent me disturbing chills. I heard the door finally close and I run to the window to see him walking with the woman on the sidewalk back to the house.

"Jane? Are you alright?" He asked still at the door.

"Who was that?" I gulp still staring out the window.

"That was one of the neighbors. Why?" He asked sounding concerned and walked towards me.

"Do they usually come by?" I ask watching them walk up to their doorstep.

"Once a week," He simply replies.

"For what?" I snap my head at him.

"Just to see how we're doing or need anything. It's part of the neighborhood club," He says. I look back out to the window.

"How long have those two been together?" I ask again.

"I'm not sure, but I think a year or so. I'm surprised they didn't have their daughter with them," He says and I feel him hovering over me, "What are you looking at?" He draws the curtain back more to see. I didn't respond. My breath was just hitched.

A part of me was angry seeing him with a woman that wasn't my mother. He let a woman into his life and didn't even tell me. She was at least half his age. Young enough to be my older sister probably. Another part of me was sad though. He seemed happy without me there. He has another daughter? He replaced us already.

I didn't realize I was crying until I felt Cesar's thumb wipe my cheek. I snap out of my thoughts and look at him. He was sitting right beside me, concerned, and confused. I don't say anything but embrace him in a hug. He hugs me back and strokes my wet hair. I pull away after a few minutes go by.

"Are you alright?" He grabs my face. I wanted to say yes but I couldn't. My eyes swelled up with tears again and I shook my head no. I could how worried he was, he kissed my forehead. I felt my tears falling, and I started to sob. I moved his hands from my face and covered it with my own.

"Hey, hey," He tries to move my hands but I don't let him. I pull my knees up to my chest and continue to cry. I felt him wrap his arm around me and try to comfort me.

"Sunshine, please let me help you," He lowly said and I lift my head up to face him.

He moves the hair away from my face that had fallen. He lifts my chin softly and wipes them away. He grabs my hands, "Sunshine, by the looks and feels of this I'm guessing he's your dad," He says to me and I look down at his hands.

"Yeah," I say almost in a whisper.

"I'm sorry," He tries to apologize.

"You don't have to apologize for anything, you did nothing wrong. You weren't the one who gave me the trauma," I croak out and clear my throat after. It was silent for a few seconds as Cesar held me. "My dad hit me with a beer bottle," He says.