Chapter 36

I run into the hospital and get to the front desk

I run into the hospital and get to the front desk. I was breathing heavily and the nurses were staring at me.

"Can I help you?" One of them asked curiously.

"Yes," I pant nodding trying to catch my breath, "I'm looking for Jane Clark."

"Are you related to her anyway?" She types in her name.

"Yeah, I'm her cousin," I lie.

"Date of birth?" She asked.

"It's May 2nd, 2005," I tell her.

"Can I see your I.D. to scan for a visitor's pass?" She asked me and it to her.

She gives me a weird look, "Aren't you Stacey's son?"

I gulp before laughing nervously, "Yeah I am,"

"I didn't know she had relative here," She tells me.

"Well, Jane is my third cousin down the line and we reconnected a few months ago at a family reunion," I make up a story.

"Cesar?"

I look to my right to see Claire, one of my mom's co-workers.

"Hey, Clar," I say as she walks on over to me.

She pulls me into a hug, "How are you?" She asked before pulling away.

"I'm good, how about you?" I smile.

"I'm good just always tired," She shrugs, "Oo, pretty flowers," she points out and I nervously smile.

The nurse at the front desk clears her throat, "Young man, your pass," She hands me the sticker badge with my I.D. photo.

"Visitors pass? You here to see your mom?" Claire asked.

I take the pass and nervously chuckle, "What room is she in?"

"She's in room 461, on the 5th floor," She informs me and I mutter her a thanks.

"The 5th floor? That's the recovery area for after surgery," Claire tells me, and my eyes widen.

"You aren't here to see your mom are you?" She says in a hushed tone.

I took her arm and she yelped silently. "Ouch," She hissed.

We walk towards the elevator. "I'm here to see my ex-girlfriend," I whisper to her.

The elevator dings and the doors open.

"Why?" She asked as we entered.

I can end up explaining the whole situation to her in less than a minute.

"Wow," She whistles and the doors open, "Good luck."

I give her a thanks before stepping off and she presses the button to close the doors. As I'm walking around I find another front desk for the floor. The lady scans my pass and points me in the direction of her room. My throat felt dry and my palms were sweaty from my nervousness. I got closer and my heart was beating out of my chest.