Chapter 26

I quickly jump out of bed when I hear a loud noise coming from downstairs

I quickly jump out of bed when I hear a loud noise coming from downstairs. Without hesitation, I rush down the stairs, "Mom?" I call out looking for her. I hear some muffled talking from the kitchen and I walk in to see one of the windows broken. My eyes widened when I see an older gentleman laying on the floor groaning and muttering to himself. He looked familiar with his chocolate brown hair, and tan skin. I couldn't understand a word he was saying. I walk around him and spot his tattoo of the Mexico Eagle logo.

I stumble back a bit holding onto the counter and rub my eyes to make sure. I couldn't believe it. The same scene flashed back into my head.

I run inside dropping my toy plane on the living room floor. I heard my mom yelp loudly and I walk into the kitchen. My dad was on the floor on top of my mom talking funny.

"Momma?" Both of them turned and realized I had walked in.

"Cesar get out of here," She gives me a weak smile.

"But Momma, he's hurting you," I defend stepping closer.

"No honey, we're just playing a game," She forcibly chuckles. Dad was still on top of her holding her wrist down.

"Mom-"

"Momma, momma," My dad mocks cutting me off, "just shut the f*ck up already and get out!" He yells looking at me. I flinch at his words. "Derek he's just a-" The sound echoed through the kitchen. He slapped her. My mom started to curse him in Spanish squirming underneath him trying to be free. He only hit her again but harder this time and my mom started to cry. "You're a f*cking sl*t, b*tch, c*nt, wh*re,..." After every insult, he would slap her. I watched her cry and I started to cry. Anger built up inside me.

Without thinking I ran and jumped on him. Hitting his face and pulling his hair. He yelled and before I knew it, I was thrown off of him about five feet away. My head was throbbing and my vision was terribly blurry. My hearing was tuned out as they rang.

I felt someone pick me up quickly. I knew it was Mom even though my vision was blurry I could see the figure and smell her scent of cherry blossoms.

"Cesar, what's going on down here?" My mom froze in her tracks looking at the scene. "Is that who I think is?" She gets closer to me.

"Yes," I say dryly as my throat feels like a desert.

"I'm calling the police," She says pulling her phone out. As she's making the call, I watch him making sure he doesn't wake up but what was really going through my mind was why is he back? After everything he put us through, he decided to just walk into our lives again. I don't think so.

I walk over to his body and kneel down. I grab him by his shirt some glass pieces fell off face and some stayed causing his face to bleed. I slap his face lightly despite some of glass. His eyes start to open as they roll back. "What the hell are you doing here?" I demand with my teeth gritted.