Chapter Seventy

"Our entire case is going up in flames over some thug who sold people for a living!?" Shiro belts, you instantly kick him on the ankle under the table.

"I thought you didn't remember what happened?" Naomasa crossed his arms as an accusing tone settled over his voice.

"We only remember the end result-" You hastily replied, "-because when we walked into that warehouse, we found four children chained up, a scene like that burns a hole in your memory you can never forget."

Shiro's gaze slid over to you, whose lies were smoother than butter.

"As you know Shooter used heroes as a front for his operation and what we have come to find is some of those so-called heroes were in on Shooter's plan and weren't being forced-" Naomasa rubs his forehead. "-the ones we caught are all playing the victim card, trying to rat on others so they can cut a deal, it's all a he-said, she-said situation right now."

"This is bullshit." Gray leaned against his chair.

"That may be-" Naomasa nods.

"When are you gonna let us tell our side-?" Gray wondered, "-so far, it's all been ratting people out, signing NDAs and connecting dots for you, when do we get to bring in the heroes we worked beside and the people we saved as character witnesses, when do we do that?"

"All in good time-" Naomasa went to promise.

"Do we even have time?" You pulled your brows together, "You're over there saying we're on a sinking boat and yet you're not doing anything that will save the ship."

"Trust me, I'm doing everything I can-"

"Then why does it feel like you're a hammer putting more nails in our coffin?" Shiro snarled.

"I'm sorry you feel that way Seven." Naomasa nods. You glanced at the time, it was nearing ten o'clock, you knew he had long gone to bed by now—you frowned—you didn't care you weren't going to see him again tonight.

"Let's call it for the night-" Naomasa massaged his stiff neck. "-we will pick up tomorrow-"

"What-?" Gray looked up, "-no."

"No?" Naomasa repeats.

"We have the Star Festival tomorrow with our families, remember?" Gray reminded, "You said we could have the day off-"

"Unfortunately, that agreement cannot be uphold-" Naomasa went to convey.

"Why!?" Gray sat up.

"Because of this video being leaked, we only bought ourselves a few days before it's given to the media, we need to get ahead of this before-"

"You know who has the video?" You questioned.

"Yes?" Naomasa turned, "But I'm not at liberty to discuss-"

"Tell us who and we'll go deal with them." You leaned on the table.

"N-No-!" Naomasa blurts out, "-I've seen how you deal with people who don't agree with you."

"Are we sure this guys on our side?" Shiro turned to you.

"I'm not sure." Gray leaned over, wanting to be in the conversation.

"I can hear you." Naomasa pinched his displeased face.

"And yet you're not correcting any of our suspicion." Shiro shoots back.

"Like wise." Naomasa stood his ground.

"We will not be here tomorrow-" You avoided your braced leg while standing. "-you agreed to give us the day off, and frankly I think we all need it-"