Chapter 86-So It Begins

Warnings: fighting, decapitation, blood, pain

Newt POV

I walked alone towards the Wicked centre. A mask covered my face, hiding my identity. I could see Teresa and Tommy up ahead. Y/n was somewhere nearby, her gaze burning into me.
Tommy and Teresa entered the building. I tensed but kept walking. I relaxed once they got through the sensors without being stopped. I went through a moment later and met up with them.
We went down to one of the basement levels. A soldier walked up and joined us, Gally. Alex joined us a moment later. We entered a stairwell. Gally stopped and looked at the electrical boxes on the walls.
"Hold on, I can get in here," Gally pulled a drill out and began trying to open it.
"Stay here," Tommy said to me and Alex. "Throw me the walkie."
I did and pulled my mask up for a moment. I could hardly breathe. Tommy forced Teresa to sit down against the wall. I coughed hard, feeling it create a burning feeling in my lungs. Teresa stared at me, I looked away from her. Alex put his hand on my shoulder and the pain vanished.
"Thanks," I said.
"Frypan, we're in. How you doing?" Tommy asked.
"Yeah, I'm getting there. Tell Minho 'Hi,' for me," Fry sounded strained. He was climbing a crane a couple blocks away.
"Hang in there buddy," Tommy said and looked back at Gally who'd finally got the box open.
"This'll work," he said to himself and started attaching a device to it.
"Brenda, what's your status?" Tommy asked.
"Status is, I'm working on it," Brenda said quietly through the radio. She was in the vehicle bay looking for a bus to carry the immunes.
"Copy, just make sure you're ready on your end.
"Don't worry. You know I'm gonna be there," Brenda replied.
"Y/n?" Tommy asked. I moved closer so I could also talk to her. No one responded.
"Y/n?" Tommy asked again, dread started to build. Alex came over.
"I'm here," Y/n's voice whispered. "I'm in a tree."
"Okay, good," Gally finished with the device. "All right, let's go."

We followed Gally down the stairs. Teresa unlocked the door to sublevel three with her fingerprint. The corridor was empty. Teresa guided us to where the immunes were. She used her fingerprint to open another door. Soldier's faces lit up with surprise as we entered. It only took a moment of traded shots to knock them all out with the electrical charges.
I went to one of the cells and opened it. The kids crowded at the back, I pulled off my mask and smiled at them.
"Come on. Let's go," I saw Tommy opening another cell.
He caught my eye and shook his head, Minho wasn't in that one either.
"Newt, check the other cell," he said.
I did, Minho wasn't among the Immunes there either.
"Guys, this might take some time," Gally called, he was inspecting the lock to the safe for serum.
Thomas swore, "He's not here."
He went up to Teresa who looked around at the Immunes.
"Where is he?"
Teresa began looking through one of the computers. After a moment, she frowned at something.
"Somebody's moved him up to the medical wing. Thomas, that's on the other side of the building."
"Okay, take me to him. Right now," Tommy demanded.
"All right, I'm coming with you," I said, picking up my mask where I'd left it.
"Me too," Alex volunteered.
"Newt, no you're not," Tommy protested. "You have to stay here, wait with Gally for the serum."
I didn't want the serum. I didn't wanna live without Y/n.
"You can't do this on your own. Minho comes first, remember?" I'd had a conversation about this earlier with him.
"Just go. We're wasting time," Gally snapped. "I'll get the serum. We'll meet you out back."
"Okay, fine. Let's go," Tommy grabbed Teresa roughly and forced her to walk, "Come on."
"No one protested against me coming," Alex grumbled. "Nikolai would have cared enough to protest."
"Well, other than Y/n, you're the only Enhance we have. We need you," Tommy said as we left the cells.

We went back up to the ground floor via the staircase.
Teresa led us into an elevator, the doors were almost fully shut when someone's arm blocked it. The doors slid back open, revealing Ratman and Nikolai. Nikolai's red eyes flicked over us without much interest. Alex's hand tightened on his gun.
"Hold it," Ratman said. They both entered the elevator. The doors slid shut, trapping us with them. "You're working late."
Teresa looked at him.
Ratman laughed softly, "See, that's what I like about you, Teresa. No matter how bleak things get, you just never give up. Times like this, you need a friend you can count on."
"I'll bear that in mind," Teresa answered, her voice wavered slightly.
Nikolai looked at her and then at us, his eyes flicked to Alex for a second longer.
"There is one thing you should know," Ratman said to Teresa. "One friend to another. Thomas is here."
I froze, did he mean here as in the elevator?
"A surveillance camera picked him up outside the walls. Ava didn't want you to know, but there is a chance he may try to contact you, and if he does, I'd like to think that I'd be your first call."
"Are you going to kill him?" Teresa asked softly.
"Would that be a problem?" Ratman asked.
The elevator door slid open.
"This is me," Teresa said and got out.
We all followed her. Alex brushed against Nikolai as he passed him. Tommy shot them a look back as we walked away. Alex sighed sadly.
"Thomas, you have to listen to me," Teresa said suddenly, "Getting that serum won't save Newt. It might buy him some time, but..."
"Just ignore her. She's trying to get inside your head," I grabbed her and forced her to walk faster.
Alex sped up to keep pace with me.
"Thomas, listen. You know what's going on out there. People are dying. The world is dying. There's something about your blood I don't understand."
"Open it," Tommy ordered as we came to a fingerprint lock. Teresa did it.
"If you let me run some tests...I promise I can protect you," Teresa insisted.
Tommy pulled his mask off and turned around. "Yeah? Like you protected Minho?"
"Tommy! What are you doing?" I hissed.
"How many people is it gonna take? How many more people do they have to round up, torture, kill? Huh? When the hell does it stop?" he demanded, gettin closer to her.
"It stops when we find a cure," Teresa flinched slightly.
"There is no goddamn cure!" Tommy yelled.
"Don't waste your breath, Teresa," said Ratman. We all spun to see him behind us. His gun clicked as he loaded it. "He made his choice long ago."
Tommy grabbed Teresa and held a gun to her head. "Back off! Tell them to back off!"
"Y/n, we might need some help," Alex said into the radio.
No one answered.
"Hey, Thomas, come on. It's me, I've known you longer than you can remember. You're not gonna shoot her," Ratman sounded very sure of what he'd said.
"You don't think so?" Tommy asked, the gun dug into Teresa's head. She took an uneasy breath.
"Okay," Ratman said, holding up his gun. "Go on then, shoot her. Prove me wrong. Shoot her."
Teresa kicked Thomas and pushed him backward. We stumbled back, Teresa slammed the emergency button. The door slid shut. The soldiers shot at the door but it didn't shatter. Alarms blared through the speakers.
Tommy glared at Teresa and I pulled off my mask. Alex did the same, he waved at Ratman and we started walking.
"Y/n?" Alex asked into the radio. No response. He caught my worried look. "It's Y/n, she's fine."
We made our way towards the medical wing. People stared at us as we walked past. Tommy froze suddenly, staring down a corridor. Ava Paige stared right back. Movement caught my eye, Ratman.
"Tommy! No!" I grabbed him and dragged him back as we were shot at.
Alex flung up a shield, red light flooding the corridor. Soldiers began running after us.
"Minho!" Tommy yelled as he shot at the soldiers.
"Minho!" I joined in.
"Minho! Where are you?"
"Over here! There they are!" a soldier yelled, I shot him.
"Newt, get down!" Tommy dragged me around a corner and sat down against the wall. Alex knelt down next to me, occasionally shielding us.
Tommy swore, "I'm almost out."
I reached over and grabbed a grenade from an unconscious guard. I pulled the pin and threw it at them.
"Get back!" I said and dragged Tommy back a little. The grenade exploded into electricity, knocking the soldiers out.
"Nice, all right," Tommy panted, helping me up.
We hurried through the corridors, calling for Minho.
"Y/n?" Alex asked over the radio again. Still no response.
"You three! Freeze! Get down on the ground. Now!" a soldier yelled.
Alex gave him a look, this guy was not Enhanced. He had some nerve to challenge one like this.
"I said, get your-"
Someone grabbed him and threw him through the window with a scream. Minho.
"Minho," Tommy breathed.
We rushed into a hug. I grinned at him.
"Is this real?" he asked, what had they done to him?
More soldiers appeared, Alex shielded us and we started running.
"Y/n!" Alex yelled over the radio.
The corridor lights went out. We stopped running. A cold breeze blew through it. Alex swore softly and forced us to keep going. Fire lit up the corridor, revealing the Phoenix. She fixed her gaze on us. We stood frozen, staring at her. Voices whispered and chanted something, repeated words.
Kill them.
The Phoenix hesitated, then the screaming started. Two voices, calling for the Phoenix. I recognised who they were. Who they had been.
"Cora! Cora help us!" the Wolf yelled.
"I don't wanna die! I'm not ready!" the Snake cried.
They called out similar things for several long moments. The Phoenix was trying not to react. The lights flicked back on and the voices faded. The light revealed a present sitting on the floor between us and her. The Phoenix slowly opened it. Her face completely drained of colour, a strangled noise left her throat. She pulled the Wolf's head out of the box and cradled it in her hands.
Minho swore. "Is that..."
No one answered him, we all stood tense. Watching for her reaction.
The Phoenix slowly placed it back in the box and looked at us. She seemed to radiate hatred. Fire erupted in her hands and she went to take a step forward but Y/n appeared. She was bleeding from her temple but seemed fine. She smirked coldly at the Phoenix, her eyes wide and unnaturally bright. They stared at each other for a moment and then began fighting. The Phoenix teleported close to her but Y/n shielded herself with shadows.
Alex grabbed me and forced me to run. We turned down several corridors and then came face to face with Nikolai. Alex shielded us as the blue energy surged towards us.
"Go!" he yelled.
We obeyed him, the three of us ran a different way. A soldier came out of nowhere. Gun aimed right at us, Tommy slowly put up his hands. We were sandwiched between this guy and the others who were fighting.
"Don't even think about trying-," he jerked and collapsed forward revealing the launcher bullet on his back that was electrifying him.
A girl stared down at him, Launcher steady in her hands.
"I've always wanted to do that," she exclaimed with a manic grin.
She blinked and looked at us.
"You're Lillian," I said, still shocked.
"And you're Newt," she replied.
Soldiers came running around the corner. We ran forward and I pulled her along with us.
"Where's Y/n?" Lillian demanded, pulling her arm free but keeping up with us.
"Dealing with the Phoenix," I answered, exhaustion starting to set in.
"And my brother?"
"Fighting Alex."
"Alex? He's here?" Lillian asked as we came around a corner.
"Yep," I answered.
"You four! Freeze!" yelled a soldier.
There were several of them, Tommy swore and pushed open a door to a side room. We all rushed in and Tommy locked it. We stumbled back from the door.
"Newt, come on!" Tommy said and I helped him knock a shelf down in front of the door.
"Terrible plan," Lillian commented as she looked around the room. There was no other exit to the small room. One side of it was completely glass, overlooking the city and a pool of water below.
"I'm sorry, who is this?" Minho asked.
"Y/n's sister," I explained.
"Makes sense. Was that really Y/n earlier? She seemed...different."
"It sorta was, I think that was the Wraith," I guessed.
"The Wraith?" Minho frowned.
"Y/n's Corrupt, when she loses control she becomes the Wraith," I explained quickly.
Minho stared at me, trying to process that. "It's a long story. What are we gonna do?"
Tommy stared at the window.
"Any ideas?" Minho asked, recovering from his confusion.
"Maybe," Tommy shrugged.
Together, he and Minho managed to lift a canister and throw it through the window. The glass shattered and we watched as the canister fell into the water below.
"Okay, it's doable. Just need a little running start," Tommy said and moved back, Minho looked at him like he'd lost his mind.
"Terrible plan," Lillian said again.
"Have you got any better ideas?"
A whirring noise caught our attention. Sparks flew from the door as they tried to saw through the lock.
"Are you sure about this?" Minho asked, anxiously looking out the broken window.
"Not really," Thomas admitted.
"Nice pep talk," Minho said sarcastically.
"Yeah, we're all bloody inspired," I said sarcastically.
The door flew open. Tommy swore, "Go! Go!"
We all ran and jumped, my foot caught on some of the glass.
"Thomas!" Minho yelled out.
Tommy just swore more.
We hit the water hard, the cold knocked the breath out of me and I struggled to the surface. I helped Lillian get to the edge. Minho and Tommy pulled me up, I leaned against Minho as he held me up. He frowned at me, he went to ask me something but soldiers came running over.
"You four, don't move," said one.
"Oh, you gotta be kidding me," Minho muttered.
"Take it easy," the same one said, moving closer.
"Don't even think about it!" snapped one when Tommy tried to grab a grenade. "Get on your knees with your hands in the air."
One of the soldiers shot the others. We all stared and watched as he took off his mask.
Minho gaped at him. "Gally?"
"Minho," Gally said and squinted up at the window we just jumped from. "You guys are nuts. Who's she?"
"Lillian Y/l/n," she answered for herself.
"Y/n's sister?"
"Yes," Lillian answered.
Glass shattered above us.

Y/n POV
Another Enhanced tackled me and we flew through a window. I knocked them off me and stopped my fall just above the ground. She used her ability to stop herself and lunged at me. I pulled a knife free and stabbed it through her stomach before twisting it. She tried to cover the wound but I snapped her neck and stumbled away from the body. My eyes landed on a group of people. My friends.
"Y/n!" a girl screamed and ran towards me.
"Lil?" I picked her up as she reached me and she clung to me like a koala. "You're getting too old for this." Lillian just laughed and buried her face. I awkwardly stumbled over to the others, and I gave Minho a side hug. "Hey Min-Min."
"You look terrible," he said.
I winced and reached up to touch my head. My fingers came away red.
"The Wraith ambushed me and tried to take control. I fell out of the tree," I explained.
"The Wraith?" Gally frowned. "I thought you had until midnight."
I made a face, "Well, she doesn't like my current plan. Where's Alex?"
"Fighting Nikolai," Newt explained.
He leant heavily on Minho. I put Lillian down, she clung to my arm. With my free hand, I checked Newt's temperature. He was still burning hot and shivering. I grimaced.
"What?" Lillian asked.
A crackle of noise caught my attention. The Phoenix strode towards us.
"What? Didn't you like my gift?" I taunted her.
"What gift?" Lillian whispered.
"James's head in a box," I explained quietly.
She froze and stared at me, I winked at her. I carefully pried her fingers off my arm and teleported to the Phoenix. Shadows and lightning tore through the air towards her but she defended herself with her fire. I noticed my friends running.
She propelled herself upwards and I followed her. We fought through the streets, storm clouds thundered overhead and hot wind blew my hair in my face. I teleported away to catch a break and ended up on top of a bus. The Phoenix kept after me. I popped open the emergency hatch on the top of the bus and stuck my head inside. People screamed at me, Brenda whipped her head to look at me.
"Relax!" Brenda yelled and returned her eyes to the road. "She's friendly like seventy percent of the time!"
That reassures no one.
"Everything going well?" I asked.
"Should be asking you that, you're dripping blood."
"Fell out of a tree. Do you need help?"
"Yep," Brenda answered. "Please."
I closed the hatch and stood up. Lightning exploded from my hands, disintegrating the cars and van chasing them. The Phoenix appeared next to me and I let her grab me before I teleported us away. We spiralled through a glass window. I spat blood out of my mouth and stood up. The Phoenix struggled to her feet, breathing heavily.
"Funny to think all this started because you fell in love," I coughed.
The Phoenix lunged at me again.

3000 words