Chapter 11-The New Greenie

2 months later

The alarm for the box blared over the quiet sounds of the Glade. I look up from my work and stand up. I wiped dirt off of my hands. Newt reached over and held my hand, I squeezed it and he squeezed back.

"Ready, love?" Newt asked, my heart skipped a beat with the nickname. I felt myself blush and Newt smirked. He knew it made me flustered and he enjoyed every second of it.

"Of course, Newtie."

We walked over to the Box with the other boys and awaited the opening of the Box. Several seconds later it finally opened and we saw the Greenie on the floor shielding his eyes from the bright sunlight. Gally jumped down and the Greenie tried to back away slightly.

"Day one Greenie," he told the dark haired boy.

 Gally grabbed him and hauled him out of the Box. The Greenie landed heavily on the ground and looked up at the group of us who'd gathered around him to get a good look at him. I felt a stab of pity as his eyes flashed between our faces, he looked overwhelmed. I opened my mouth to tell everyone to back off but the Greenie jumped up and shoved his way through the group of boys. He took off, sprinting across the Glade.

"We got a runner!" I heard Zart shout over the noise of yelling boys.

 The greenie soon tripped and fell over. He fell forward and rolled along the ground until he came to a stop. I laughed along with the other boys. He went to get up but noticed the walls that surrounded the Glade, he stood up and spun in a slow circle to take it in. Some of the builders picked him up and dragged him to the Slammer. I looked back to Newt who was already staring at me.

"What?" I asked him, and he looked away.

"Nothing."

"I don't believe you," I reached up to guide his pretty face back to look at me. He smirked at me and I felt butterflies erupt in my stomach. He glanced around and noted that there were only a few boys near us.

"What are you—" I began but got cut off as Newt pulled me hard against him and pressed his soft lips against mine. Someone whistled but we didn't break apart until Alby yelled at us to stop and go back to work. We laughed and Newt gripped my hand, pulling me towards the garden. Several minutes later we saw Alby leading the new Greenie around the Glade and we walked over to them.

"Ya alright Alby?" Newt asked as we reached them.

"Green bean, meet Newt. He's in charge when I'm not around," Alby said.

"Good thing you're always around then," Newt said and then turned to me. "This is my girlfriend, Y/n." 

Newt had begun to always introduce me as his girlfriend after the incident with the Greenie two months before. I gave the Greenie a small smile.

"Listen, that was some dash you made earlier, almost thought you had the chops to be a runner until you fell on your face," Newt grinned and I mirrored him.

"Runner?" the Greenie asked, Newt and Alby shared a look.

"Come on Greenie," Alby said and they started walking away.

A while later we heard yelling and noticed the greenie near the opening in the doors. Newt and I shared a look and ran over to the doors where the Greenie and Gally were arguing.

"What the hell is wrong with you people! You can't just keep me here!" Greenie yelled.

"Hey Greenie, just chill out and we can explain," I tried.

"Just calm down alright?" Newt tried to calm the greenie.

"No! Why won't you tell me what's out there?" He demanded, his arms waving wildly around him.