Chapter 82-Better Run

Warnings: blood, decapitation mentions, killing mentions, sorta sucidical?

I walked next to Newt as Gally led us through the old building. Unfortunately, I had lost the argument.
"We could always just go over them," I suggested, thinking about the wall.
"We can't fly Y/n," Alex said.
"People can fly if I throw them hard enough," I countered.
Alex covered his face.
Newt sighed again.
"Your girlfriend is crazier than I remember," Gally said to Newt.
Newt was silent for a second too long before he answered. "Actually, we broke up."
Gally stopped dead and turned to stare at us.
"No, you didn't," he looked between us.
"We did," I confirmed.
"Why?" Gally asked.
"That's a long story filled with betrayal, death, murder, family and romance," I looked at Alex with a smirk.
"Well, I no longer believe in love," Gally said and continued walking.
I frowned and followed him. Newt's gaze burned into the back of my head as I started walking with Alex.
"I'm assuming you've got a plan?" Alex said in a low voice.
"Step one, murder the Phoenix and free all those possessed people. Step two, find my siblings. Step three, die."
"That's an awful plan."
"It's pure genius, simple but complicated. You just don't have the brain power to appreciate it."
Alex didn't bother to reply.
"So how'd you get here?" Newt asked Gally.
"After the maze, I got picked up by a group headed to the city. They realised I was immune, patched me up and brought me here to Lawrence. This group's been at war with Wicked ever since they took control of the city. Day's gonna come and they're gonna pay for what they've done," he stopped walking. "Listen, he doesn't get a lot of visitors. So, let me do the talking. All right? And try not to stare."
He led us into a room and down some stairs. Classical music played softly. Light blared through the windows, hiding someone tending to roses.
"Rose took my nose, I suppose," the man mumbled quietly on repeat. He noticed us suddenly. "Gally, glad to see you made it back. Jasper told me what happened."
I recognised the harsh looking man from earlier.
"It was a slaughter. There's nothing we could do against those guns," Gally informed the man.
"No, but they can only poke the hornet's nest so long before they get stung. Now, who are these people? Why are they here?"
"We need to get into Wicked," Thomas stepped forward slightly. "Gally said you can get us through the walls?"
"Gally should know better than to make promises that he can't keep. Besides, that wall is only half your problem. Getting inside Wicked is impossible."
"There might be a way now, but it doesn't work without Thomas," Gally revealed.
"Is that so?" Lawrence moved out of the blinding light. Half his face was hideously infected with the Flare, veins swollen and blue. The tip of his nose was missing and it appeared he was blind in one eye. "Do you know what I am, Thomas?"
Lawrence hobbled forward, leaning heaving on his walking stick. He got right up in Thomas's face before he spoke.
"I'm a businessman. Which means that I don't take unnecessary risks. Why should I trust you?"
"Cause I can help you," Thomas answered, flicking a glance at the stand holding up a bag of serum. A long cord connected it to the Crank, keeping him sane. "You see, if you can get us through those walls, we can get you what you need."
"What is it that you think I need?" Lawrence asked, sounding amused.
"Time, every last drop," Thomas answered.
"Is that what I need?" Lawrence asked.
I sighed irritably, this was getting us nowhere.
"We're the only chance you'll ever get to take down Wicked," I said, moving forward.
"Is that so?" Lawrence studied me.
I nodded, "To be more specific, whoever's on my side will win."
Lawrence laughed, it was a horrible sound. It was more of a breathless wheeze.
He finally stopped laughing after a minute. "To put it simply for you, there is no way to take down Wicked. The Wolf-"
"Is dead," I finished, folding my arms. "I killed him weeks ago."
The room went dead silent, all eyes were on me.
Technically, the Wraith killed him, but I wasn't about to reveal that card yet.
"You killed him?" Gally asked finally.
"I have proof if you want it," I said, glancing around.
"What do you mean you have proof?" Alex demanded.
I shrugged and summoned his wedding ring, still wet with his blood.
"That could be anyone's ring," Lawrence said dismissively.
I sighed and summoned a bag. As soon as it appeared in my hands, blood ran through the fabric and dripped on the floor.
"I have his decapitated head if you want that as well," I offered, holding the bag at arms length.
Everyone stared at me in varying degrees of horror and disgust.
"What?" I asked, "He deserved it."
"Who are you?" Lawrence asked.
"Y/n Y/l/n," I answered, holding his stare, "I am and I am not the Wraith."
"You are and aren't the Wraith?" Gally repeated faintly. "How?"
I sighed and sent the bag away, "Basically two minds in the same body. I'm Corrupt. Now," I said, bringing the conversation back on track. "Will you help us or not?"
"Surely you are able to take Wicked down yourself?" Lawrence said.
"If I was to allow the Wraith control, she would storm the city and kill everyone remotely associated with Wicked. There's even a chance she may harm the prisoners there or my siblings. I won't let that happen."
Lawrence went quiet, considering everything. Finally, he spoke, "Fine, two can go for now. The rest will stay down here with me. Just a little insurance to make sure you find your way back. We have a deal?"
Thomas reached to shake Lawrence's outstretched hand.
"What happens after Wicked falls? What is your plan then?" I asked.
"We will take over the city and let the people in," Lawrence said shortly.
"And the Flare? It'll get inside too," I said, "It win's just be the city's people that are wiped out. Your people will die with them."
"We will climb that obstacle when it comes," Lawrence replied vaguely, "Do we have a deal?"
"Fine," I said, shaking his hand. He had a surprisingly strong handshake.
"Gally, show them the way," Lawrence ordered.
"Wait, we need to decide who's going," I said, turning to them.
"I'll go," Thomas volunteered immediately.
"Me too," Newt said quickly.
"No, I have to go," I glared between the both of them.
"I wanna go too," Alex interrupted.
I glanced at him. He looked hopeful, probably thinking of Nik.
"You should stay here, I need you to make sure they're safe here," I said quietly.
The hope wiped off his face as he nodded. I felt a stab of guilt but kept to what I had said.
I turned my attention back to Thomas and Newt. "One of you has to stay."
"Thomas and Newt did say it first," Fry said diplomatically.
"This is ridiculous," I muttered, "Can three go?"
"Two," Lawrence replied firmly.
"Three," I repeated, folding my arms.
He moved closer to me in an attempt to intimidate me. I didn't even flinch, instead I continued to glare at him. He was trying to work out how I would behave, whether I would follow orders and bend to authority. I would not.
"You're gonna want me on your side," I reasoned. "Your little army wouldn't last a minute against me."
Fine," Lawrence said, looking me right in the eye. "Three can go"
Lawrence went back to his roses.
Gally led us from the room.
"You don't seem Corrupt," he said to me.
"Give me until midnight tomorrow and if I'm not dead you'll get to meet the Corrupt side of me," I replied.
"Is that to do with the world domination thing?" Gally asked.
"Yep."

Gally dragged a metal cover off a hole and lowered a ladder down it.
"Be careful, Thomas," Jorge warned quietly.
Gally started to climb into the sewer but Fry stopped him.
"Gally, take care of these three."
"Excuse you, I can take care of myself. You know exactly who I am," I told Frypan and he put his hands up. "Relax, I'm messing with you," I pulled him into a hug. "Stay near Alex," I whispered and felt him nod.
I hugged Brenda and then Alex.
"Don't do anything stupid," he murmured in my ear.
"I won't," I promised.
Gally climbed down the ladder. I turned to look back at Newt, he was looking at his hands, opening and closing them. Just like when I wasn't sure if I was in control or the Wraith.
"Newt?" I asked quietly. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing," he said and stood up.
Thomas, followed by Newt, went down the ladder. I took a last deep breath of air and followed them. The sewer was deeper than I expected and darker. I felt a hand on my back as I neared the ground. Gally's torch flicked on and I saw that it was Newt. I hopped down and ignited light in my hand. Newt winced from the light and turned away, his hand removed from me.
"Ugh, this is gross," Newt said, stepping over a dead rat.
"Yep," I agreed, wrinkling my nose at the smell. "Brandon's worst nightmare."
"Yeah, this is great," Thomas commented.
Gally found a switch and turned it on.
The tunnel lit up.
"Yay," I said sarcastically, "I do love walking."
"Stay with me. We got a way to go," Gally said.
I found myself walking with Newt again. It was odd, him wanting to be around me now. I found myself glancing at him from the corner of my eye. He hadn't changed much from the Glade, though his blond hair was a bit longer now.
"You alright?" Newt asked, catching my eye.
I nodded, startled that I had been caught. "Just tired."
I was glad I wouldn't have to keep going on much longer. Even with Minho, Nikolai and Lillian back, I would still be drained from holding her back constantly. Nikolai was going to be so mad when he found out what I did. I told myself it was better this way.
"Hey Gally?" Newt asked. "How'd you wind up with a bloody Crank as a roommate?"
"Actually, I owe that Crank my life," Gally answered. "When Lawrence and his crew found me, he could have sold me back to Wicked, traded me for a few vials of serum. Instead, he offered me a place and said I had something worth living for."
"What's that?" Thomas asked.
Gally didn't answer. "Wait here," he said instead and crawled into a much smaller tunnel.
"Where's he going?" Thomas moved forward to get a look.
Newt and I shared a look.
"Do you think we should trust him? After everything he's done?" Thomas asked as he turned around.
"What other options do we have?" Newt asked. "I know this might be hard for you to believe, Thomas but there was a time when Gally was a true friend of mine."
"I've already checked his mind, we can trust him," I reassured him. "Lawrence is the one we should be wary of."
"Hey," said Gally.
He had come back and was sitting on the edge of the tunnel. "It's clear, let's move."
He went back in the tunnel.
"Hope you're right," Thomas said and we followed Gally.

We reached an intersection, a makeshift tunnel had been dug off it.
"All right, this way," Gally said and climbed through.
I sighed but did as I was told. This one was even smaller than the other one.
Light blared through the end of this tunnel. From where I was, I could see concrete and lights in the walls. A sound echoed down through whatever it was. I moved closer and saw it was train tracks. The sound started to get louder.
"Hold on," Gally said, peeking around the corner.
We waited and a moment later a train sped past.
"Okay, we gotta be quick about this! We're not gonna have a lotta time!" Gally yelled over the noise. "Stay on me, okay?"
The train vanished down the tunnel and Gally shot a quick look at us. "Okay! Let's go!"
He jumped down and we followed him. Gally placed the metal grate back over the hole.
"Great, Tommy loves trains, don't ya mate?" Newt said dryly.
I burst out laughing but covered my mouth. Newt stared at me in shock, I shook my head and forced myself to stop.
"Great! Cause you're gonna see another one real soon. Come on!" Gally started bolting down the tunnel.
Newt and Thomas shared a look and we started running. We ran in single file because there wasn't enough space in between the train tracks.
"Gally? What the hell are we doing?" Thomas yelled.
"Less talking, more running!" Gally yelled back.
Something beeped and the lights flashed above us. The train tracks rattled beneath us. Another train was coming.
"Gally?" Thomas yelled.
"Come on! We're almost there!"
"Newt, come on! We gotta move! Come on!" I heard Thomas yell from behind me.
I could see the train now, hurtling down the tunnel towards us. We reached another one of the tunnels in the walls. Gally started climbing a ladder, but Thomas's yell caught my attention.
"Newt!"
I spun around, and saw Newt had fallen over. He struggled to get up. Gally and Thomas went to run to him.
"No, stay!" I yelled and started running back
"Newt!" Thomas yelled.
The train was right behind me, metres away. I wasn't gonna reach him in time like this.

2300 words