Chapter 68-Secrets Revealed

Warnings: Grief, angst, arguing, mentions of dead bodies, threats, decapitation mentions, fighting, mentions of murder.

Five and a bit weeks later

100 days after his death

I continued my lessons and managed to get decent control over the shadows. I became closer to Élliot, Kei, Leo and Bella. Bella and I were now best friends. It was strange having a best friend who was a girl. I’d been around boys for so long. Teresa had not really been close to me before she betrayed us.

Today was an awful day. I woke up and immediately cried myself sick. After a long hot shower, I went back to bed and took a long nap.
About an hour later, someone knocked on the door and opened it. I ignored them. I felt the bed sink as they sat down. I knew who it was. Élliot reached out and rolled me over gently. I let out a long sigh. Élliot went to speak but someone else knocked and opened the door. Some Corrupt I didn’t know.
“There’s someone asking for you. She just showed up at the gate and demanded to speak to you,” the boy said.
Élliot sighed, “I’ll be back,” he promised me and left.
I lay there for a while before Leo barged in several minutes later. He looked slightly panicked.
“What?” I asked and sat up.
“It’s the Phoenix,” he said out of breath, “She’s here.”
A second later, I was out of bed and sprinting down the hallway. Somehow, Leo managed to keep up even though he was initially startled. With my ability, I brought the elevator hurtling up its shaft and stopping at the right floor. The doors slid open and we both got it. I pressed the ground floor button but then decided to use my abilities to speed it up. Leo nearly fell as the elevator dropped faster. I caught his arm and steadied him. Abruptly, the elevator came to a stop and the doors slid open.
Immediately, I was out and hurrying down the corridors. Just before I reached the throne room, I wove an illusion to hide me. Leo sucked in a breath but slowed down to enter the room. He took a spot next to Kei, looking pale.
Coralie stood in the middle of the room, eyes fixed on Élliot who was lounging on his throne as if it was a couch.
“What is it exactly that you want?” Élliot asked in a bored tone.
“To speak to the Wraith,” Coralie said.
“The Wraith?” Bella repeated.
“Yes, she’s here somewhere,” Coralie replied.
Bella couldn’t hide her stunned expression. Her eyes tracked to Élliot but he didn’t take his eyes off the Phoenix.
“She’s here?” Kei asked in a sceptical tone. “I think we would know if she was.”
“Doesn’t matter,” snapped the Phoenix. “Where is she?”
“Why would she be here?” Bella asked.
“She’s Corrupt.”
“Let me get this straight,” Kei said, “You’re looking for the Wraith? Isn’t it a bad idea to go looking for someone who probably wants to kill you?”
“Exactly,” I said, appearing out of nowhere. Several people yelled, stumbling away from me. “Why would you go looking for someone who wants to kill you?”
“Hello, little sister,” the Phoenix glared at me.
That caused a wave of outrage. Bella glared at Élliot.
“You have some nerve showing up here today of all days,” I said coldly.
“I’m so confused, but what happened today?” Kei asked.
Coralie smirked, “It’s been a hundred days since our brother died.”
“My brother, we disowned you. I think Nikolai told you that,” I snapped back.
“He did,” the Phoenix shrugged.
“Where’s his body?” I demanded.
“Rotting in a ditch like you left Livia.”
“Where’s that awful boyfriend of yours?” I asked, making a show of looking around. “Too scared to face me? Can’t blame him.”
“He’s busy, and he’s no longer my boyfriend. We got married just the other week,” the Phoenix smirked, showing off a gold ring.
“Next time I see him, I’ll cut off his head and send it to you as a wedding present then.”
“Good luck with that,” Coralie scoffed, looking slightly uncomfortable at that idea.
“What do you want? Why are you here?” I demanded, folding my arms.
“Wicked wanted to know where you were, so I volunteered to track you down. Though I assume you’ll leave right after this, if you survive,” Coralie smirked. “And also to say something to you.”
“What is it?”
“I can’t believe you fell for the same trick three times,” Coralie laughed.
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
She just laughed and then completely stopped. “Oh, Y/n, you were always so gullible.”
The Phoenix flung fire at me. I let the Wraith take over. She was stronger than me and had more of a chance killing her. I caught only glimpses of the fight, but I saw the Wraith managing to take a small part of her teleporting ability before she got loose and vanished in a crackle of red. I sank to my knees after the Wraith released me.
The only sound in the room were the hushed whispers between the Corrupt present.
Élliot knelt next to me.
“I need to leave,” I said softly and teleported to my room.

I’d just found a bag and had begun stuffing it when my friends burst into the room.
“You’re the Wraith?” Bella demanded.
“Yes, and no. We’re two people in the same body, basically,” I explained as I stuffed my bag. “Wicked will want to come looking for me, I have to leave to keep you all safe.”
It hurt, leaving the home I had made here, but I had to.
“I’m coming with you,” Élliot said suddenly.
“No, it’s too dangerous,” I protested.
“Y/n, if you go alone you’re more likely to go insane. You need me,” Élliot argued, catching my wrists.
“And me,” Bella interrupted.
“And me,” Leo said quietly and Bella gave him a sweet smile.
Everyone looked at Kei.
“Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to get out of this forsaken city but don’t you think someone should stay here to keep everything under control?”
“Good point,” Élliot said.
“No! None of you are coming with me. People die around me. It’s too dangerous. The Phoenix and Wolf shouldn’t be underestimated. The Wraith could lose it and kill you all—”
‘All except for Élliot, he’s hot,’ the Wraith whispered.
“—except for Élliot because the Wraith thinks he’s hot.”
Élliot blinked at me and I shrugged. I wasn’t going to deny that.
“Y/n, there’s nothing you can do to stop us,” Bella said.
I groaned and pulled my wrists free, “I’m leaving now.”
“Come on, we have to pack,” Bella said and bolted for the door.
Leo and Élliot followed her.
Élliot paused at the door, “Don’t even think about leaving without us.”
“Wouldn’t dream of it,” I rolled my eyes and watched him leave.
Kei watched me pack.
“I’m actually gonna miss your sarcastic comments,” Kei said, breaking the silence.
“I’m gonna miss you irritating me every time you speak,” I replied.
“You’ll take care of them, right?”
“Of course, but you have to understand how dangerous it is to be around me. Someone’s gonna get hurt,” I said.
“What are you even gonna do?”
“Destroy some more buildings, kill some people. Maybe cut my brother-in-laws head off.”
“Sounds fun,” Kei commented, and I rolled my eyes.
I threw a t-shirt in the bag and glared at him. “You remind me so much of my brother. He was always irritating me.”
“It’s my job to irritate people.”
“Makes sense because it’s the only thing you’re good at.”
“That was mean,” Kei pouted, placing a hand over his heart.
I rolled my eyes again and concentrated. I used one of the abilities I hadn’t used in months. The bag vanished and I felt the slight weight of it, wherever it was.
“How many abilities do you have?” Kei wondered.
“Hypnosis, some mind ability, I can drain people of energy, control over metal, the weather which includes lightning, other electrical currents, illusions, I can take people’s abilities, making objects vanish and then recalling them, pain inflicting, shadows and now a weak teleportation ability.”
“No wonder you’re going insane,” Kei said disbelievingly. “Wicked doesn’t stand a chance.”
Bella walked back into the room with a bag stuffed with clothes and other things. I snapped my fingers and it vanished from her hands. She stared at them. “That’s cool.”
Élliot and Leo came a couple minutes later and I did the same for them.
“Ready?” I asked and everyone nodded.
We went down to the gate. Bella started crying when she had to say goodbye to Kei. After the others said goodbye, I hugged the idiot.
I pulled out the two radios that I had packed, I made it so they would contact each other and only each other over any distance. I handed him one. “If you need us, you can call.”
“Thanks,” he said, inspecting it.
I went and stood next to Élliot, he grabbed my hand and rubbed it lightly. Together, we set out through the city.

1550 words