Chapter 49-Defence and Offence

Warnings: threats, angst, fighting, mentions of murder and torture

“I’m going back, feel free to break my uncle’s fingers if he does something wrong,” I went to run but Newt grabbed my arm, I looked at him and kissed him quickly on the lips. “I’ll be back, I promise.”
“Be careful,” he told me.
“Always am, love you,” I didn’t wait for a reply and I ran back to the compound.
I made my way back through the vents towards the food storage, where I hoped they would be. They weren’t there, I stole more food and water and made my way back.
As I crawled over the vent that went over the large central area of the facility, I heard a crash. I looked down. I could see my sister down there, fighting Alex and Nikolai.
They made a good team, Nikolai played offence while Alex protected him. I jumped down from the vent and landed on the ground. I shot lightning towards the Phoenix and ducked fireballs. Eventually, I managed to send her through a wall, the effort nearly made me pass out. Nikolai caught me and I regained some stability.
“Time to go,’ he said and pulled me into a run.
I stopped at the elevator and pressed the up button.
“What are you doing?” Alex asked.
“She won’t think of it,” I convinced them.
The doors slid open and we rushed inside. I closed it and pressed the button for the top floor. The elevator stopped before we reached the top floor. We got ready to fight but when the doors slid open, they revealed Teresa. She was studying something on one of Wicked’s tablets. She walked in, not even looking up and fumbled from the ground floor button. We waited a moment before I cleared my throat. Teresa ignored me. I tapped her shoulder and she turned around. She yelped and stumbled back, colliding with the closed doors. The tablet slipped from her hands, falling with a thud to the ground and cracking.
“That looked important,” I said as I picked it up to look at it. Teresa remained silent. I dropped the charade.
“I thought we were friends, Teresa!” I forced my voice to carry no emotion. “How could you do this to me, to Thomas and the others!” my voice started to fill with anger and the elevator light flickered.
“I-I had to,” Teresa protested. “We have to find-”
“You know, I’ve been betrayed so many times,” I told her softly, “My sister, both of my uncles, James, Livia,” I said and slowly walked forward. “And now you.”
Teresa shrank against the door, “I’m sorry, but I’m only doing what I think is right.”
The doors slid open and she fell back on the floor. She crawled back as I walked towards her.
“Where’s Minho?” I asked her.
“I don’t know,” Teresa answered and I looked at my brother. He moved and placed his hand on her temple.
She went to move, “Stay still, it’ll hurt less if you don’t resist,” I told her. She flinched as my brother searched her mind.
He stood up straighter and shook his head at me. I sighed.
“Goodbye Teresa, I hope we don’t see each other ever again.”
I turned and left with Nikolai and Alex. We went up to the roof and I floated us down. The rest of the way back was a blur. I felt myself let go of the hypnosis of the security guard and the camera’s. Nikolai and Alex helped me across the sand. I could see the early traces of dawn in the sky. I wondered where the Phoenix was.
The others looked up as we reached them. Newt sprung up and rushed over. He flung his arms around me and I let go of my brother, who was holding me up. I let Newt hold me up and I buried my face in his neck. Alex went to quickly heal Felix.
“We gotta go,” Nikolai shot a cautious glance back at the Wicked compound.
He suddenly noticed Brandon and froze. Brandon, who was still sitting on the ground, stared back. Nikolai moved suddenly and punched Brandon hard in the face. He went to hit Brandon again, but Alex stopped him. He leaned into Alex almost against his will.
“Oh, yeah, kidnapped him,” I said awkwardly.
Alex moved Nikolai away from Brandon. Brandon sat back up, blood running from his broken nose.
“We only got a couple bags of food and a few bottles of water,” Vince noted, giving a frustrated sigh.
“Not exactly,” I interrupted and everyone looked at me.
“What do you mean?” Vince asked.
“You’ll see, let’s just get back to the cars before I pass out,” I smiled, Newt shifted so he was supporting one of my sides and Nikolai took the other.
Thomas walked next to Newt, carrying one of the bags. He reminded me of what happened.
“I saw Teresa,” I said suddenly.
Thomas’s head jerked towards me. “What?”
“I asked her where Minho is, but she didn’t know,” I sighed. I looked over my shoulder at Alex and Felix, who had recovered enough to walk. They were leading Brandon.
“What are we gonna do with him?” Nikolai asked. “I’m assuming you’ve thought of something.”
“I have,” I replied. “I kinda want to drive him to the point of insanity then kill him.”
Newt gave me a strange look.
“Newt, he’s part of the reason three of my family members are dead and one betrayed us.”
“I know,” he replied quietly.
“I’m not gonna do that anyway, I wanna do something with rats. He hates them so much. We should catch some and have them crawl on him,” I suggested. Nikolai considered this. Newt just shook his head.
We finally reached the car and I used my newly acquired ability to make the crates of food and water reappear in the tray of the utes. A couple people gasped and Nikolai whipped his head to look at me, his face stricken.
“Before you say anything, it was a calculated risk I had to take,” I told him. Newt looked confused.
“You shouldn’t have done it,” he said.
“And then we would have all starved.”
“Y/n,” he warned me. “This is far worse.”
I went quiet, he and Newt helped me into the back seat of one of the utes and Newt got up next to me. Nikolai shut the door and left.
“He’s angry at me again,” I complained.
“I don’t understand. Why?” Newt looked confused. I sighed and leaned into him. After a moment of silence, he sighed too. “Another secret.”
“To keep you and everyone safe,” I added. “You know I hate keeping stuff from you.”
“For someone who does, you seem to keep a lot of secrets,” Newt countered.
“I know,” I replied and snuggled into him. Newt shifted so he could wrap his arms more around me. I closed my eyes and sleep took me away.

Nikolai POV
I made sure that everyone was accounted for before I hopped into one of the trucks with Alex. He glanced at me from the driver's seat. I had checked on Y/n before I came back to Alex. She was fast asleep in Newt’s arms. I had given the boy a look that would leave him scared for the next century and left them alone. I sighed wearily and leaned back against the seat. Alex studied me with a quick glance as we started driving back to camp. We had the lights off for obvious reasons.
“You’re worried about Y/n again,” Alex stated, staring out the window.
“I’m always worried about her,” I answered.
“You’re more worried about her right now,” he replied.
Damn him and his way to know exactly how I feel.
I leaned my head against the glass. “She’s reckless, I don’t want her to get hurt or worse.”
“She can handle herself, I think. She’s quite strong. Vince seems to underestimate her,” Alex noted.
“Everyone underestimates her, especially Wicked. It will be their downfall.”
We fell back into silence, it was just the two of us in the car.
“Can you look after her if something happens to me?” I asked him suddenly and in the dull light of the car, I saw him look at me.
“What? Nothing’s gonna happen to you!” Alex said and returned his focus to the road.
“Just promise me,” I stared out the window.
“Fine, I promise. I won’t need to anyway, you’ll be fine.”
“Hm,” I replied.
“Harriet said that Y/n was acting strange the other day. Said she was talking to herself or something,” Alex told me as we drove along.
“Course she was, she does that a lot,” I answered.
As worried as I was for my sister, I felt a stab of jealousy about Harriet. Her and Alex were close and had plenty of inside jokes. Sure, Alex and I had some, too, but I still felt jealousy over her. I knew why, too. I saw Alex glance at me and sigh.
“Would you please tell me what’s going on?” he pleaded, sounding frustrated and tired.
“You know I can’t.”
We drove the rest of the way in silence.

1500 words