Chapter 52-OTP

Warnings: blood, mentions of death, angst, heartbreak. Alex and Nik being cute (cause it makes my heart die)

Alex’s POV

A couple days later

I stood on guard at the edge of the camp. We had taken refuge in an abandoned city. Thankfully, it somehow still had running water. I sighed and leaned against a piece of debris. There weren’t too many Cranks here that we had seen, but most likely, they were hiding in the city somewhere. A sound made me turn my head and I quickly stopped leaning. I stared in shock at the source of the sound. Y/n stood there. Covered in blood. She blinked wearily and looked around before her eyes settled on me.
“Hi, Alex,” she sighed tiredly and looked down at her bloody hands.
“Hi,” I repeated back slowly, staring at the sheer amount of blood that covered her, most of it was dry. Her clothes were completely ruined.
“Can you get Nikolai? Please?” she asked awkwardly, looking down at the blood on her.
“Let me heal you first,” I replied and took a step forward, hand reaching out.
She quickly moved back, “No, that’s not necessarily. I’m not…hurt.”
I gave her a strange look, “Then who’s…” I trailed off and she looked away.
“Please get Nikolai,” she repeated, avoiding my eyes.
She seemed agitated, as if something might just jump out at her.
“Uhhh, okay?” I slowly walked off, then started running.
What was going on? Whose blood was she covered in? Why was she gone for days?”
I slowed to a jog as I made my way through the camp looking for Nikolai. My gaze snagged on him, as it always did, and he frowned at me when he saw my panicked expression. He got up and crossed the camp.
“What’s going on?” he asked me, the concern that laced his tone made my heart flutter.
“It’s Y/n,” I explained and his face paled slightly.
“Where is she?” Nikolai asked in a low voice. For some reason, he took note of who was closest to us.
“Come,” I started quickly across the camp but Nikolai grabbed my arm.
“Walk slowly, act normal,” he said and slung his arm over my shoulder with a fake laugh, pulling me down to his height. I forced a smile. What were the twins up to?
“Laugh,” Nikolai hissed and then mumbled something gibberish.
I obeyed and swatted at him. Once we were out of the camp, Nikolai’s expression turned back to slight panic. Once Y/n came into view, Nikolai ran over to her. She had sat down against the rubble I was leaning against earlier. I ran to catch up.
“Hey,” Nikolai said and shook her slightly so she woke up.
“Oh, hey,” she mumbled back, “I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus,” she blinked and stared off into the distance. “Oh, I was.”
“We need to get you cleaned up,” Nikolai looked up at the buildings. “That’s an apartment block, there’ll be a shower there. Alex, help me.”
Nikolai looked at me and I stared at him. “First, tell me what’s going on,” I demanded, folding my arms.
“No,” Nikolai replied shortly and walked over to one of the abandoned cars. He rummaged through it until he found a dusty old blanket. He beat it a few times to get the dust off it and wrapped it around Y/n before picking her up.
“What are you doing?” I asked bewildered.
“So I don’t get blood on me and ruin more clothes,” Nikolai explained and started towards the building. I followed them.
“I’m gonna get in trouble if I leave, I’m going to go find someone to take over,” I said and Nikolai nodded.
“Don’t tell anyone about Y/n,” he warned.
“Why?” I asked.
“Can’t tell you,” he replied and entered the building, leaving me standing alone in the street. I sighed and went back to camp.

Nikolai’s POV
I found an empty apartment and set Y/n down on the floor while I checked the shower. It worked. I went back to Y/n and she hazily looked at me.
“Take some of my energy,” I suggested.
“Nah, might kill you,” she replied and closed her eyes.
“Just take a little,” I tried again.
“Okay,” she forced her eyes back open and stared into mine.
After a couple seconds I felt the pull and she dragged energy from me. I muffled a grunt and stayed quiet and exhaustion started to seep in. She wasn’t stopping, she was taking too much.
“Y/n,” I whimpered and tried to look away. She didn’t respond, tears slipped from her eyes. A hand flashed in front of my face and I managed to look away. I sagged against someone’s leg. I looked up at Alex. He looked between Y/n and I. Y/n relaxed back against the wall.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean to,” Y/n stood up. “I need a shower.” She quickly walked into the bathroom and shut the door.
“What was that about?” Alex asked me and I met his stupidly beautiful green eyes.
“Nothing,” I answered faintly, letting Alex help me up. “Y/n will want fresh clothes and food.”
I started walking down the hallway and Alex quickly followed me.
“What’s going on? Why was she covered in blood? Whose blood was she covered in?” Alex bombarded me with questions.
“Nothing, I can’t tell you, I don’t know,” I replied.
“Nikolai,” Alex complained.
“I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you,” I said firmly.
We left through another exit on the building so whoever was on guard didn’t see us.
“Who did you get to take your guard shift?” I asked, changing the subject.
Alex sighed, “Harriet, Skylar and Felix.”
Jealousy stabbed through me at Harriet’s name.
“Harriet, huh?” I muttered.
“Yes?” he frowned at me. “What’s wrong with Harriet?”
“Nothing,” I grumbled.
“What’s wrong with you today? First, you won’t tell me anything. Now you’re upset about Harriet?” Alex scoffed.
“Nothing is wrong with me and I’m not upset about Harriet,” I snapped and he winced. I sighed, “Sorry.”
“It’s okay,” he replied.
“No, it isn’t. I shouldn’t have snapped at you. None of this is your fault”
“I think we should tell someone about Y/n—” Alex started. I grabbed him and pushed him against the wall.
“No one can know,” I said in a low voice. “Promise me you won’t tell anyone.”
Alex stared at me in shock, “Okay, fine. I promise I won’t tell anyone.”
“Good,” I released him from the wall and walked back in the camp's direction.
Alex went quiet as we walked back into camp. I picked up my backpack that had spare clothes and slung it over my shoulder. We walked over to the food area. Alex opened one of the crates and picked a can up.
“What are you doing?” Vince asked, appearing out of nowhere.
I jumped and almost dropped my bag.
“What? Us? Nothing?” Alex stammered.
“Really? Nikolai, why do you have your backpack?”
“Because I’m worried that someone might steal from it, there’s a lot of people scavenging in the city. The Right Arm aren’t the only people here,” I lied smoothly.
Vince looked satisfied with that answer, he turned to his son. “Alex, why do you have that can of food?
I quickly entered his mind enough to share my thoughts. ‘Tell him it’s for Aaliyah, say that she’s hungry and also she’s too skinny.’
Alex repeated what I said and Vince’s face softened. “Fine, just don’t let anyone see.”
Alex stuffed the can in the bag and we walked back.
“You’re a good liar,” Alex commented as we reached the building. I gave him an odd look.
“I guess so,” I replied.
“How much do you lie to me?” Alex asked, I stopped walking.
“What?”
“How much do you lie to me?” he asked again.
“Only when I absolutely need to. Only to protect you,” I replied and continued walking.
“How often is that?” Alex asked, walking quicker to keep up.
“A couple times a day, I guess,” I replied.
Alex frowned at me. “I don’t need your protection.”
“A lot of people want Y/n dead. They’re not very nice. Anyone who knows is at risk,” I informed him.
Alex went quiet as we got back to the apartment. I pulled clothes out of the bag and opened the bathroom door enough to dump the clothes before I shut it. I heard Y/n yell a thank you and I went to the kitchen. Alex had taken the can out. I could see it was spaghetti now. I went to the stove and tried to turn it on. The smell of gas wafted to my nose but the stove didn’t light.
“There’s matches in the bag. Could you toss them to me?” I asked Alex and he did. I lit the stove and it flickered to life. “Yay.”
I started cooking the food and leaned against the bench to wait. Alex watched me.
“What?” I asked.
“Nothing,” he replied in a flat tone. I rolled my eyes and we fell back into silence.
“I do want to tell you, Alexander,” I said quietly. “I can’t put Y/n at risk, though.”
“You know I wouldn’t tell anyone.”
“Wicked could still find someone to break into your mind. Or worse, the Phoenix could possess me and force me to do it,” I argued back but my voice portrayed my fear.
Alex moved closer and pulled me into a hug.
“Y/n and I won’t let it happen again,” he reassured me.
“You don’t know that,” I laughed without any humour.
“We’re not going to let that happen,” he repeated firmly. I found myself actually believing him.
He saw that I did and released me from the hug. I cleared my throat awkwardly and turned back to the spaghetti. We stood in silence for a couple minutes until I felt brave enough to ask the question I had wanted to ask for weeks.
“So, do you like anyone?” I shot him a teasing smile to hide my nerves.
Alex blushed and looked at the wall.
“Maybe. I’ve had this crush on someone for ages and I think it’s developed into something more,” Alex said softly.
“You should tell her,” I advised him.
Jealousy flared in me again. Of course, he was straight. Stupid feelings.
“Her?” Alex said slowly.
“It’s Harriet, right? I don’t blame you. She’s pretty and funny,” I shrugged and stirred the food.
“No, it’s not Harriet,” Alex replied, his eyes staring intently at me.
I frowned at this information, “Skylar?”
“No.”
I frowned at him, “It better not be my little sister,” I warned, wiggling the spoon at him.
Alex huffed, shaking his head.
“Who is it then?” I asked incredulously.
“You’re an idiot,” Alex said as he walked closer to me.
Butterflies fluttered in my stomach and I had the suspicion that I was blushing.
“Why?” I asked.
Alex moved closer to me and took the spoon I was using to stir the food. He set it down on the table, I watched as he did it. My eyes remained fixed on the spoon after he took his hand away. He lifted his hand and turned my chin up so I was forced to meet his green eyes.
“Are you practising what you’re gonna do when you confess to her?” I mumbled, trying not to look at his lips. I was close enough to make out the smudges of light brown in his eyes.
“Idiot,” he muttered and leaned in.
I met his lips halfway. For the first few seconds, I wasn’t sure this was real. Alex pushed me against the counter and kissed me harder. My hands slid up into his hair, marvelling at how soft it was. Eventually, we had to break apart because of a stupid thing called oxygen. I breathed hard and opened my eyes to find his bright green eyes looking at me.
“Still think it’s a girl?” he teased.
“Oh shut up,” I pulled him in again.
I felt him smirk against my mouth as his hands cupped my face.