Chapter 8-Finally

Trigger warnings: vague mentions of the incident with Sam, pain.

1 month later

Newt POV

I kept a very close eye on Y/n after the incident with Sam. I barely let her out of my sight and when I couldn't see her I started to panic. We were working in the garden today. I watched as Y/n's h/c hair fell loose from her braid. She raised her arm to wipe across her forehead and wrinkled her nose quite adorably. She caught me staring at her and stared back.

"I'm not going to vanish the second you take your eyes off me, you know?" Y/n said dryly.

"Hm," was all I replied but I forced myself to go back to work. After that, I noticed Y/n started to avoid me. She sat between Minho and Zart for lunch and avoided eye contact. She worked away from me in the gardens and after the end of work she went off to talk to Minho. I know there is nothing between them. Minho had reassured me of that last month when we were talking behind the shed, but I still felt a hot stab of jealousy. After dinner I decided to ask her what was wrong. She stopped talking to Minho and walked off towards the Homestead. I hurried after her, ignoring the pain in my leg.

"Y/n!" I called out to her and she turned her head to look over her shoulder.

"What?" she asked, there's an edge to her voice.

"Why are you avoiding me?" I limped quickly to catch up to her, she hesitantly slowed down.

"I'm not avoiding you?" She said with a forced laugh.

She opened the door to the Homestead and I followed her up the stairs and into our room.

"Y/n, what's wrong, just tell me," I begged her.

"Nothing's... wrong."

"Just tell me, please."

Y/n stared at me for several seconds and then did something unexpected. She turned suddenly, crossed the small space between us and slammed her lips into mine. I froze. Was this real? Was the love of my life kissing me? She moved away and stared at me, she looked worried, even scared.

"Well?" She lifted her head and looked me straight in the eye. She acted confident but I could see the fear in her beautiful eyes. I grinned at her. I stepped towards her and cupped her face with my hands. She drew in a startled breath and her gaze flickered back to my lips. I leaned forward and placed my lips back on hers, thankfully she kissed me back. Her hands winded through my hair and my hands slid down her back to pull her as close as I could. Unfortunately someone cleared their throat at the door. Y/n and I sprung apart, Alby stood there with his arms crossed. For a split second I was worried he'll have me thrown in the Slammer and banished at sundown tomorrow but then a smile spread across his face.

"It's about time," he said and then left, shutting the door behind him. I stared at the door for a moment and then turned to face Y/n, we both started laughing. I moved back towards her and wrapped my arms around her.

"Minho's been trying to get me to do that for months," she said.

"Minho's also been trying to get me to do that as well," I replied. She smiled and leaned back in to kiss me again. When we drew apart she hugged me and muttered something into my chest.

"What?" I asked and she lifted her head to look at me.

"I said, 'you're an idiot,'" she replied. I grinned and kissed her again.

"I'm your idiot."

She blushed, "I lied, I actually said 'I love you."

I smile at her, "I love you too."

"Good that."

"Will you be my girlfriend?" I asked her.

"Of course, you shank," she said and kissed me. The door flew open and Minho stared at us, we stared back.

Minho's face went blank for several seconds before he raised his hands over his head and screamed, "YESSS! FINALLY! YOU IDIOTS FINALLY TOOK MY ADVICE."

He smiled uncontrollably before he forced control over his expression, "Newt, if you hurt her I will personally feed you to the Grievers."

"I would never hurt her," I replied and leaned back in to kiss her again.

"Uhh, I'm still here ya know?" Minho said. Y/n broke the kiss to shove him out and closed the door again.

724 words