Chapter 24-The Red Eyed Stranger

TW: Torture, blood

Janson led us to showers where we had to split into girls and boys because the two shower blocks were kept separate.

"I'll see you soon," I told Newt and kissed him on the cheek, he nodded. I turned away to head into the showers with Teresa but I noticed Janson watching me and Newt. It creeped me out but I pretended not to notice. We were given clothes to change into and new shoes and me and Teresa entered the showers.

"I don't trust that guy," I told her quietly.

"Janson? He seems alright, he had his people rescue us and he's gonna send us somewhere safe."

"Something's wrong here," I insisted.

"Let's just shower, I want to get all this dirt off me," Teresa entered one of the showers and I entered the one next to hers. I stripped off my dirty clothes and turned on the water. Hot water poured over me and I winced in surprise. I took the opportunity to scrub my hands clean of blood. I scrubbed them for longer than necessary until the skin was red and irritated. Chuck's lifeless body flashed in my mind along with the sense of overwhelming déjà vu. I pushed his face from my mind and focused on the sensation of the water hitting my skin. I ran the water through my hair to rinse out the dirt and untangle the knots with my fingers. I washed my hair and myself and put on the fresh clothes that Janson got for us. I got out before Teresa did so I exited the showers to see if any of the boys were out. Winston and Frypan were sitting against the wall talking so I approached them and sat down next to them. We waited and slowly the other boys came out. Newt finally appeared and walked over to me and sat down next to me. I leaned my head against his shoulder. Once everyone was out we were taken to a large medical room for checkups. I was told to wait with Teresa for one of the female doctors and I made eye contact with Newt across the room. I offered him a small smile that he returned after a moment. One of the doctors moved in front of him to give him an injection, blocking him from my view. I sighed and rubbed my eyes. My eyes flicked to my friends, Minho was on one of the running machines and the others were sitting around the room getting fussed over by doctors. A dark skinned woman walked in the room. The doctor looking at Thomas looked up, "Evening, Doctor Crawford."

"Good evening, how are the new arrivals holding up?" She asked.

"So far, so good," Thomas's doctor replied.

"All right, you must be Teresa and Y/n?" She said as she reached us and pulled the curtains shut around us. She thoroughly checked Teresa over and took blood samples and gave her injections. She did the same to me and when she was done the other boys had already been taken somewhere else.

"Alright, we just need to run some further tests, if you would both follow me please?" Doctor Crawford said and led us from the room and down a corridor. I heard shouting and turned to look through the glass in the wall. Thomas and Newt followed us on the other side of the wall, I stopped and walked over to the glass. I noticed there were many people in the room sitting around tables, some kind of cafeteria.

"You okay?" Newt asked, his voice muffled by the glass.

"Yeah, they're just taking us to do some more tests, I'm sure we'll be with you soon," I said loudly so he could hear me.

"Y/n, come," Doctor Crawford urged and I looked at her before giving Newt a smile and walking after her. After a minute we stopped at a door, there was no window to give insight to what was inside. Doctor Crawford instructed Teresa to wait and led me into the room. I started to hesitate when I saw the room had a table and two chairs.

"What's going on?" I asked, nerves fluttering in my stomach.

"Take a seat, they'll be along shortly. Don't try to leave, don't try to resist it," Doctor Crawford instructed me and started to leave but not before shooting a pitiful look at me. I frowned but slowly took a seat. Doctor Crawford left the room and I'm left alone. Several minutes later Janson and two boys entered the room. One had red eyes and seemed familiar, a stabbing headache erupted and I reached up to rub my temple. Janson snapped his fingers in my face and the pain subsided.

"What's going on?" I demanded, my voice uneven.

"We're just having a little chat," Janson replied and took a seat in front of me.

"Who are they?" I looked at the two strangers.

"No one you need to know about," Janson dismissed. "Now, where is the Right Arm?"

"The right arm?" I lifted my right arm and awkwardly laughed. The red eyed boy's lips flicked up slightly, it disappeared so quickly I wasn't sure if I had imagined it. Janson looked at the red eyed boy and nodded. He moved closer and I jerked back.

"What are you doing?" I demanded but he didn't react. I went to stand up but was forced back to my seat. Blue threads of something wrapped around me keeping me in the chair. I thrashed and tried to break free but I couldn't get loose. The red eyed boy placed his fingers against my temple and pain erupted again in my head.

'Relax, it'll be over soon. The more you resist, the more painful it'll be,' a girl's voice said inside my mind.

I didn't listen, I continued trying to break free but the pain soon forced me to stop. Tears poured down my face and I gasped for breath. I could feel the red eyed boy ripping through my mind. He seemed to be searching through my memories, I saw flashes of Newt and the other Gladers.

"Please, stop," I begged him and tried to meet his eyes. They were fixed past my head and onto the floor but a tear ran down his face and his hand wobbled. Despite this, he didn't stop until I felt like I was going to pass out from the pain. His hand dropped and he turned back to Janson.

"She remembers nothing about her past," his voice sounded strained... and familiar. What confused me was that I did remember parts so why did the boy not say anything?

"Nothing!?" Janson slammed his fist on the table making me jump. "If I can't find the Right Arm, I will lose my job!"

"We could give her memories back? She might know something then," the red eyed boy suggested.

"No, she's too dangerous with her memories. Make sure she doesn't remember this," Janson instructed and went to leave but paused at the other boy. "Is it working properly?"

"Yes," the boy replied.

"Good, at least Brandon is useful after all," Ratman snapped and left.

The blue threads faded and I was released from the chair, I fell onto the ground and backed into the corner. The red eyed boy moved towards me and I flinched.

"This won't hurt," the red eyed boy said as he knelt down in front of me.

"Wha-What are you?" I managed.

"I'm what's called an Enhance, people like me exist because our parents were exposed to the radiation left from when the Solar Flares scorched the planet. I'm surprised you remember nothing. I thought you were stronger than this."

"Who are you?"

"And I'm very disappointed you don't remember me, little sister," he said and placed his fingers back onto my temples. Darkness swallowed me.

1275 words