Chapter 7-Memories

Trigger warnings: nightmares, blood, character death, dead bodies, trauma for main character.

I was back in the abandoned concrete building which I now assumed was some type of shopping centre. Most of my nightmares began here. Strangely the girl wasn't here, but the mirror as always was. The blood covered girl in the mirror stared at me before she shocked me by speaking.

"Do you want to know who she was speaking about? The boy who died?" She asked, a bored tone filling her voice.

"Who are you?" I asked her.

"Oh, I'm you, but not."

"Makes perfect sense," I retorted and she rolled her eyes.

"Do you want to know or what?"

I was silent for a moment but could no longer stand not knowing.

"I want to know," I said slowly, the girl creepily smiled at me. The room shattered and now I was somewhere outside between buildings, something told me this was not far from the abandoned mall. There were ghostly people around but I recognised the girl from the other place. I saw myself, the only clear person, being held back by people. The words fade in and out but I was screaming—no, begging the girl for mercy, not for myself but for the ghost of a boy who was on his knees before the girl. She raised a gun and fired, the boy collapsed. A horrible scream erupted from past me and the world seemed to skip forward until I found myself running back through the mall. I stopped running back at the mirror.

"That doesn't help at all, I still don't know who that boy was."

"Let me show you."

The world became almost brighter. I stood in a house, a suspicion grew in me and I walked to the window. The ocean stretched out below the edge of a cliff. It confirmed that this is the house by the sea I had seen in fractured dreams. Laughter echoed through the house and a younger version of myself ran into the room and hid in a cupboard. A boy ran into the room, the same boy from the other part of this nightmare. He was less blurry now, but I still could not see his face except for now I could tell he has the same h/c hair as me. Who was he?

"Y/nnnn, I know you're in here," he called and started checking the room. They were playing hide and seek, I realised. He reached the cupboard where the younger me was hiding and ripped it open. Younger me shrieked and tried to get past him but he grabbed the younger me and wrapped his arms around her tightly like a hug. Younger me squirmed and tried to get loose but could not break free.

"Alright! You win! Let me gooo," she whined.

"Let your sister go," a woman's voice called from the other room. Something like shock hit me, the boy was my brother. The world around me seemed to suddenly crack in some places. I could still see the memory or whatever it was still happening but in some spots I could see broken objects and even blood splattered on the floor and walls. I blinked and it was gone. My brother and I ran down the hallway and I quickly followed them. We entered a room that has what I assumed to be the front door and a staircase leading to the second floor. The world cracked again. I could see bodies and blood. I saw myself screaming about traitors and my brother pulling me outside and into the light.

I jolted awake with a gasp, it was still dark outside. I tried to move but Newt's arms were tight around me even though he was still fast asleep. I shook him slightly and he stirs, in the dull light of the moon through the window I saw him open his eyes. He noticed the tears immediately.

"Come here love," he brought my head to rest under his chin and murmured reassuring words in my ear.

"I had a brother," I sobbed into him. Newt froze.