Chapter 28-Why People Should Actually Listen

The wind whipped sand into our faces as we ran up the massive sand dune in front of the building. I occasionally shot glances over my shoulder to look at the building illuminated by the lights. Vehicles drive out after us.

"Come on! We'll lose them in the storm!" Thomas yelled over the noise of the storm. We made it a fair distance before we laid down on the sand back to take a short break. I laid next to Newt, my hand found his but he pulled away. I gave him a weird look, he didn't look at me.

"Come on, let's go," Thomas got up and we all followed him. "Stay low!"

We continued running for a bit until we started to pass some broken buildings.

"Teresa, hang on. Stay together!" Thomas called out to her as she ran ahead.

"I think we lost them!" Someone yelled.

"Keep going, guys. Let's go!" Thomas yelled to us.

"Watch out! Where are we even going?" Minho yelled.

"Come on, Aris. Let's go. Come on!"

"Over here!" Teresa had found the broken window of a building and was peering into the darkness inside. We gathered around the broken window.

"I don't think that's a good idea," I said, but she goes inside anyway.

"Teresa, wait! Don't go in there!" Thomas yelled. We all followed her anyway. I nearly tripped because of the sand that was banked up against the broken window. I half ran and half slid to the bottom. Newt followed after me and tripped near the bottom. I was there to catch him and we both fell into the ground, him on top of me.

"Ow," I complained.

"You have lots of explaining to do," Newt told me and got off me.

"I need explanations too," I replied. "I don't understand half of what's going on."

I stood up and looked around, dusting sand off myself. I grabbed the torch from my bag and turned it on. I shone it around the room to check that we were safe.

"I don't think we should stay here," I said again.

"Why?" Teresa asked.

"Just a bad feeling."

"Where are we even?" Frypan asked no one in particular.

"We gotta go," Thomas decided and started walking.

"No. Thomas, stop!" Teresa's loud voice made him turn around.

"We gotta keep moving," he said again.

"Tell me what's going on," Teresa pleaded.

Thomas moved back over to us, "It's Wicked. They lied to us. We never escaped. Me and Aris, we found bodies. Too many to count."

"What do you mean? Dead bodies?" Minho asked.

"No, but they weren't alive either. They had them strung up with tubes coming out of them. They were being drained. There's something inside of us that Wicked wants, something in our blood. So we have to get as far away from them as possible," Thomas finished explaining.

"Okay. So, what's the plan?" Newt asked but Thomas stayed quiet. "You do have a plan, right?"

"Yeah. I don't know," Thomas admitted.

"Well, we followed you out here, Thomas and now you're saying that you have no idea where we're going or what we're doing," Newt said, panic edging his voice. I reached out to hold his hand but he moved away again. Newt ran a hand through his hair.

"Wait. Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains. Some kind of resistance or army," Aris said suddenly.

"The Right Arm," Thomas finished. "The Right Arm. If they're really against Wicked, maybe they can help us."