Chapter 20- The Plan

Newt moved over to hug me once Teresa and Thomas were gone.

"You okay?" He whispered and I nodded. Most of the boys laid down or sat down to wait out the rest of the night.

"Come on, let's try to get some more sleep," Newt led me over to where Minho and Chuck were. We laid down on the grass under the tree. I leaned my head on Newt's chest, he traced shapes on my back and I closed my eyes. Hours later, I still hadn't fallen asleep. Newt was fast asleep, the light of dawn slowly seeped across the sky. I watch as the sun rises and the Gladers around me start to stir. Newt woke up by the time the light was streaming into the Glade. He noticed I was still away but didn't say anything. I stood up and stretched before offering my hand to Newt and helping him up.

"Morning," he said.

"Morning," I replied.

"Did you get any sleep?" He asked. I hesitated. "I can tell when you're lying, you know."

"No," I said softly, he gave me a hug and a gentle kiss on the cheek.

"We should check on Thomas and Teresa," he said and I nodded. I looked around and saw Minho snoring away, still fast asleep. I walked over and nudged him with my shoe, he groaned and turned over. I nudged him harder in the ribs and he smacked me away.

"Min-min, get up."

"No," Minho muttered.

"We have to go check on Thomas and Teresa, come on," Newt said and Minho reluctantly got up. Together we walked across the Glade to the Slammer. Teresa was still awake, Thomas's head was lying in her lap. She looked up as we approached, we sat down and leaned against the bars of the Slammer.

"He still hasn't woken up?" Newt asked her. She shook her head.

"Let's just wait then," I said and leaned against Newt. He moved so he could wrap his arm around me and pull me closer.

We sat there for about an hour, and Chuck joined us. Gally came over to see what we were doing and we told him we were waiting for Thomas to wake up so we could see what he knew. Gally seemed satisfied with this and left us. Some time later Thomas's eyes flew open.

"Hey, are you okay?" Teresa asked.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck snapped at Thomas.

"What happened?" Thomas sat up and looked around.

"Gally has taken control, he said we had a choice. Either join him or get banished at sundown with you," Newt informed him.

"And the others agreed to that?" Thomas asked, trying to get to his feet.

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened," Teresa told him.

"Gally may be an idiot but he knows how to use fear to scare people onto his side. The people here with half a brain can work out that this isn't your fault. They're just scared of the Maze," I added.

"Well, he's been right so far," Thomas said quietly.

"What are you talking about?" Minho asked.

Thomas took a deep breath before he started talking, "This place, it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison, it's a test," he paused for a second, "It all started when we were kids, they would give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us, and then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork."

"Sending them up into the maze," Newt finished.

"Yeah, but not all of us," Thomas said softly.

"What do you mean?" Newt asked him, frowning.