Chapter 63-Back to Mexico City

Warnings: mentions of murder and death

One month later…
47 days after his death

I woke up in someone's arms. My head leaned against a warm chest as they carried me with ease. I forced my eyes open and met familiar blue ones.
“Hello, mon ange,” Élliot gave me a smile.
I stared at him for a long moment, processing what just happened.
“Why am I not dead?” I asked finally, reluctantly resting my head against him again.
“Because I convinced the Wraith that you need time to recover and rest before you continue destroying Wicked.”
“So, what have I done?” I asked the dreaded question.
“Quite a few of Wicked’s bases have been completely destroyed and everyone slaughtered. I’m fairly certain they know who you are now.”
“Great,” I said sarcastically. “Put me down.”
He pouted, holding me tighter. “I like carrying you.”
“Dude, come on, I want to walk,” I complained.
“‘Dude?’” he repeated, sounding amused.
“Yes, dude,” I rolled my eyes. “Put me down.”
He obliged and I wobbled on my feet for a moment. Batting his hand away, I looked around. We were in the ruins of a city.
“Mexico City?” I guessed, recognising some of the buildings.
“Yeah, I figured you’d need somewhere safe to stay while you recover, now come,” Élliot offered me his hand.
I decided to take it to not offend him.
“Why were you carrying me?”
“The car broke down.”
“Ah,” I looked up at the towering buildings. “Where are we going?”
“You’ll see,” Élliot smirked.
We talked about random things along the way until we reached a walled off building.
Élliot signalled someone and a gate slid open. He led me through it, smiling and excited to show me it.
Inside, there were green lawns and tall trees. The building was in much better condition than the surrounding ones, discoloured but all the windows were intact and the building was whole.
“This was Wicked’s building until the Corrupt drove them out,” Élliot looked up at the building. I was staring at all the plants. “What do you think?”
“It’s so…green,” I looked back at Élliot before I rushed off the path and flopped down on the soft grass.
I closed my eyes and relaxed. If I thought hard enough, I could almost think I was in the Glade. I opened my eyes to see Élliot looking down at me with a soft smile.
“Join me,” I said, tapping the spot next to me.
“I’m the King of Mexico City,” he reminded me.
“Join me, Your Majesty.”
Élliot lay down next to me, turning his head to look at me.
“I haven’t felt grass since the Glade.”
“It wouldn’t be here without me, I grew it with my ability. It mutated to survive on very little water and also survive the heat,” Élliot said.
“Élliot?” a voice asked and we both sat up.
Élliot sheepishly helped me stand up. I looked at who had spoken. I recognised her. It was one of the Corrupt that I had run into last time. Her hair was long and dark brown, falling in curly waves to just below her elbows. Her warm brown skin glowed in the sun as her chocolate eyes flicked over me.
“Hello, Bella,” Élliot said.
“Welcome back, I take it this is Y/n?” Bella gave me a polite smile, which I returned before I looked at Élliot.
“Have you been talking about me?” I asked.
“Only good things, mon ange,” Élliot teased with a wink.
He slid his hand back into mine and we followed Bella towards the doors.
“How have things been here?” Élliot asked her and Bella filled him in on a couple small things.
“And Milo is missing,” Bella finally added.
Élliot stopped, frowning at this. “What? Are you sure? He does spend a lot of time away.”
“He hasn’t shown up in two months. That’s the longest he’s been away by far.”
“Who’s Milo?” I interrupted.
Annoyance flashed across Bella's face before it vanished without a trace. It happened so quickly that I might have even imagined it.
“Milo is quite a dangerous Corrupt, you would have heard of his brother, Austin. He had super strength and also could make people see their–”
“Fears,” I finished and they both looked confused. “Milo attacked us a couple days before I went on my rampage, and that was?”
“About a month ago,” Élliot answered. “He attacked you?”
His voice took a different tone, soft but dangerous.
I was reminded that even though he was so sweet to me, he was still extremely powerful and someone that Wicked would consider a threat.
“I killed him,” I confessed, eyes flicking between their faces to monitor their reactions.
Bella’s face turned surprised. Élliot’s face went from angry to something I couldn’t decipher.
“Better that then he kill you,” Élliot said, staring so intently into my eyes that I looked away.