Chapter 59-Splinters of the Past

Warnings: nightmares, the dead, grief, knives and guns, the Wraith doing her usual thing.

Y/n POV
15 days after his death

I looked around at the strange landscape. Everything seemed tinted red, the sky, the strange fog that was creeping in and covering everything. Red puddles of what I assumed was blood lay about the ground, filling cracks in the floor. I felt the back of my neck prickle and knew there was something behind me. I turned around slowly. On a throne, elevated by a platform with steps leading up to it, was the Wraith. The throne, made completely of bones, gleamed red in the dull light. I stared at her as I walked forward and stood at the bottom of the stairs.
“Bit dramatic don’t ya think?” I called up to her.
She just smirked at me.
“Maybe,” she shrugged. “You’re lucky, you know. You’ve been completely out for two days now and I haven’t given you nightmares.”
She was probably planning to take over. She wanted control over a body that wasn’t about to fall over dead from exhaustion.
“You could have let me sleep longer without disturbing me,” I said.
She smirked and I felt something hot start to seep into my shoes. I looked down at the blood that had started rising from the ground. I looked back up to her with a glare. She smirked again and vanished. The blood rose quickly until I couldn’t resist panicking. I couldn’t touch the ground anymore. Something startling cold and bony grabbed my ankle and I was pulled under. I squeezed my eyes shut as the hot blood tried to enter my eyes. Something forced me to open my eyes. The blood was as clear as water now, just tinted red. I saw my little sister. She was missing the flesh on one of her arms as well as other spots on her body but her face was still the same as I remembered it. Her face changed suddenly, now horrifyingly monstrous. Her bony hands clamped around my throat and I screamed, thrashing to get loose but I couldn’t and everything flooded black.

I woke up with a gasp, my hands going to my throat. The skin was smooth, no trace of damage caused by her ruined hands. I rubbed my neck and sat up. I looked around at my surroundings. I was lying on a bed off blankets in an old building. The Right Arm went about daily life around me. I stretched and got up. My hand went to the metal band on my wrist and I reached for a knife to try and get it off. It didn’t work, I slipped the knife back and saw Frypan away from our friends for a moment and I quickly approached him. I wasn’t sure who hated me at the moment.
“Hey Fry,” I said. He jumped and looked at me warily. “Where are we?”
“Some old city,” Frypan answered. I thanked him and left him alone. I saw Vince make his way towards me.
“Y/n, you’re gonna take a turn at going through the building for Cranks. You’re going with Thomas, Newt and Ember.”
He held out a gun, still refusing to take off the band.
“I just woke up, I don’t want to,” I said tiredly.
“You are going, stop being selfish,” he forced the gun into my hand.
I sighed and checked it over.
“Okay,” I went over to where they were waiting.
“What do you want?” Ember demanded.
“Vince said go with you,” I explained.
“What? You look sick, you need to rest,” Newt protested.
“Let’s just go. The sooner we get back the sooner I can take a nap.”
“I don’t want to babysit you, you don’t know how to protect yourself or others without your abilities,” Ember glared at me and I rolled my eyes.
“If I die, it’ll be good riddance. Come on.”
Ember led the way through the building, I kept my finger on the trigger of the gun.
“I’m so tired,” Ember complained.
I suppressed the urge to strangle her.
“Why?” Newt asked, his voice would’ve sounded normal to anyone else but I caught the slightly annoyed tone.
“I keep having these awful nightmares,” Ember continued.
“What about?” Newt was just being polite but it annoyed me.
Thomas caught the look on my face and raised an eyebrow. I gestured to her and made a motion with my hand to suggest she never stopped talking. He nodded, covering a smile. I got the feeling he didn’t much like her either.
“About stuff happening to me,” Ember answered. “Like what happened to my brother.”
She turned around to glare at me suddenly and I stopped walking.
“What?” I asked her.
“What did you say?” she demanded.
“I didn’t say anything?”
“She didn’t say anything,” Thomas confirmed.
Ember frowned and turned back around. Newt looked at me for a moment longer, I shook my head. I didn’t say anything. He believed it and turned back around.
“Anyway,” Ember continued. “They’re so scary.”
“Must be awful,” I said, unable to keep the sarcastic edge of my voice. She glared at me.
“And what do you have nightmares about? Newt breaking up with you?”
I flushed an angry red colour but I didn’t take the bait.
“It’s not a competition and for the record I’ve never had a nightmare about Newt breaking up with me,” I rolled my eyes and went to keep walking.
I zoned out again, the most recent nightmare of my sister still fresh in my mind. Ember stopped and stood in front of me. I blinked at her.
“I asked you something,” she said with a glare. “I don’t like being ignored.”
I sighed, “What did you ask me?”
“I asked what they were about if they weren't about Newt.”
“Usually mine are just memories about my family.”
“And the rest of the time?” Ember pressed.
“Still my family, but not memories. Can we keep walking?”
After a while, I began to feel eyes watching me. I walked slightly faster and slung my arm over Thomas’s neck with a fake laugh. I drew him down to whisper in his ear.
“We’re being watched, laugh,” I instructed. He quickly masked the sudden look of confusion and laughed. Newt looked over his shoulder at us. A small shape came around the corner ahead of us and fell on the ground hard. We all stopped. I froze, looking at the familiar h/c hair. My breaths came raggedly.
“Would you relax? It's just a Crank,” Ember raised her gun.
“Stop,” I said quietly.
“Look I know she’s just a little girl but she’s still a Crank,” Ember rolled her eyes and went to shoot but I pushed the gun out of her hands. Ember went to argue but stopped.
“Y/n?” asked the little girl in a small voice.
She looked up, blood ran down her face but she looked nothing like a Crank. A locket hung around her neck, flecked with blood.
“What’s going on?” Thomas asked quietly.
“Y/n? Why did you kill me?” Lillian asked and I held in a sob.
“Y/n?” Thomas whispered.
“You could have saved me,” Lillian wailed. The voice cut into me like a knife.
“Who is that?” Thomas asked.
“Lillian,” I whispered back.
“But she’s…”
“Dead,” I finished and flung a knife straight at her. The knife hit her and she shattered like glass.
“There’s an Enhanced here.”

1200 words