Chapter 56-Feels like I Can't Move

Title is a reference to the song 'Softcore,' by The Neighbourhood.

Warnings: death, blood, pain, bullet wounds, lots of death, grief, another Harry Potter reference, angst

My brother’s face was blank with shock. I felt my heart drop. The next several seconds ticked by slowly. Slow enough I could see everything. The slowly fading pain and fear on his face. The blood as it stained his shirt from the bullet wound. He sank to his knees. James stood behind him, still pointing the gun. I faintly heard myself scream for Alex.
I went to run to my brother but the Wolf raised his other hand and a bullet rewound through time and passed through my leg. The pain knocked the breath out of me and I stumbled. My brother slumped to the ground, his eyes slipping shut as he watched me. Soldiers shot at me and I killed them by impaling them with sharp metal. His mouth tried to form words but the tension left his body. Coralie appeared in a crackle of red and she grabbed my brother. James grabbed her arm. I realised what she was going to do a second too late.
“No!” I screamed and flung a lightning bolt at her but they vanished.
Guilt, anger and shock flooded through me. I fell to my knees with a sob.
I couldn’t do this again. Not again. My throat tightened but I didn’t cry. He wasn’t dead. It was just a trick. This wasn’t real. He couldn't be gone.
“Y/n!” someone yelled. I looked up tiredly.
I could feel the Wraith starting to take control. Vince yelled my name again. I could see him taking shelter behind a vehicle. He was being shot at. Why wasn’t I dead? I slowly looked around. Dozens of bodies lay around me. My hands were wet with their blood.
“Y/n!” Vince yelled again to catch my attention. I looked back at him. “Now’s not the time! Help us!”
“Right, help them,” I mumbled to myself.
I looked back to the Wicked building. A plan was already forming in my mind. I needed soldiers to be batteries. I forced myself to get up and I ran towards some.
The next few minutes I barely remembered. The dead eyes of soldiers as I drained them of energy. The sky turned almost black with storm clouds. The explosion of blinding light as a large lightning bolt completely decimated the Wicked compound. The flashes of red as Alex created shields. Someone knocked me to the ground as debris flew through the air towards us. The screams as the people inside burned in the flames that followed. The yells of the soldiers who started running back to the building. The Phoenix, who must have teleported back, stared at the burning remains of the building in horror before looking at me with an expression of genuine fear. She looked at whoever was holding me and started running towards the building. I let the darkness take me, I hoped I wouldn’t wake up.

I woke up. I groaned as I felt the sharp stabs of pain in my leg. I tried to move but I was being carried by someone.
“It’s just me, mon ange,” a familiar French accent told me.
“Oh,” I muttered. “How long was I out?”
“Just a couple minutes.”
“Why do I feel so calm?”
“I can inflict emotions, and also take someone's feelings. For example, if someone felt happy last week, I can use my ability to make me feel that emotion.”
“Put me down,” I demanded. Élliot scoffed.
“You think you can walk? I’ve never seen someone manage to do that much damage. I suppose I shouldn’t have underestimated you, Wraith.”
“That wasn’t the Wraith, that was mostly me,” I corrected, wincing in pain.
“I apologise, I shouldn’t have underestimated you either, mon ange,” Élliot shifted me in his arms.
“What does that even mean?” I asked the question I had long wondered.
“It means my angel,” he told me with a smile.
“Angel? You know what I’ve done. I’ve killed, lied and manipulated.”
“We have both light and dark inside of us,” Élliot told me. I frowned and thought hard in my blood loss induced state.
“Was that a Harry Potter reference?” I asked finally.
“Yes, I know you used to enjoy a lot of reading. I thought I’d do some to see what it was like.”
“Did you enjoy the books?” I asked.
“Yes I did,” Élliot smiled at me.
“Have you watched the movies?”
“No,” he replied.
“We’re gonna have to do that,” I coughed.
“About that,” Élliot sat me down and knelt down next to me. I looked into his ocean blue eyes, “I want you to come back with me.”
“Come back where?” I asked.
“To Mexico City, you’ll be safe there,” he promised me.
“Safe? Safe until we both go crazy and kill everyone?” I scoffed.
“We have Corrupt there, they are fully gone yet they don’t kill anyone,” he continued.
I raised an eyebrow.
“Most of the time,” he added with a shrug.
“You know who I am, it’s too dangerous,” I replied.
“I think it’s bad for you to hang onto your anger and your need for revenge. You should come with me,” Élliot pleaded and touched my face.
“I can’t. I can’t leave them. I won’t,” I said. Élliot’s eyes flashed angrily.
“They don’t care for you like I do!” he snapped, his voice thick with his French accent.
It was kind of hot or maybe it just reminded me of Newt.
“I’m not gonna leave them now,” I snapped, exhausted and forced myself to get up.
I leaned on the rock for a moment before the world stopped spinning. Pain shot up my leg and I reached down, pressing on the wound. I started walking back to the place we’d agreed to meet when everything was over.
“They will leave you! They will never understand someone like you and me!” Élliot yelled.
“Élliot,” I said quietly and he stopped. “This is my choice.”
Élliot still looked upset but he nodded. “My offer remains open. You know where to find me.”
He turned and left. I sighed. I awkwardly limped until I saw Vince and the others. They stood on the edge looking over the Wicked compound. I forced myself to walk over to them. A couple of people looked surprised to see me. I stood next to Vince and looked down at the scene. Coralie tried in vain to stop the fire. Large chunks of destroyed rubble were sown around the ruins. Ant-like people ran around in panic while some just watched it burn. I saw Vince turn to look at me in the corner of my eye.
“You know there were a hundred or so people in that building. Innocent people like scientists and people like that.”
“I know,” I said quietly. Vince looked at me in silence.
“Well?” he said after a minute.
“You’re the one who told me to help. I helped. I know I killed a hundred or so people and I don’t care! Not one tiny bit!” I snapped at Vince. I turned to face him, “They’ve taken my entire family from me. This,” I gestured at the ruins, “is just the beginning. I’m not going to stop until I’ve killed my sister and the Wolf and not until all of Wicked is destroyed.”
I could see my friends watching me in a mixture of pity and horror. Alex, Newt, Brenda and Jorge weren’t back yet.
“You’re not going to win against Coralie, Y/n,” Vince told me.
I scoffed.
“I’m going to kill her, I don’t care if that means I die as well,” I moved back from the edge and sat on a rock on the edge of the people.
They all moved away from me, they were scared of me now.
“Y/n!” someone yelled and I looked up.
I got up and stumbled towards Alex. Brenda, Jorge and Newt stood a short distance away. They must have come with him. He hugged me and I whimpered from the pain. He quickly let me go.
“Sorry!” he started to heal it.
Why didn’t he seem angry or sad? I looked at Vince, he met my eyes and slowly shook his head. Alex didn’t know.
Alex finished healing my wound and the pain eased but not in my heart. Grief choked me as it started to sink in. Alex gripped my arms slightly.
“Y/n? Where’s Nikolai?” his eyes flicked around. He hesitated when he saw what everyone’s faces displayed. Newt frowned and looked at Brenda and Jorge who also looked confused. They didn’t know either. “Y/n?” Alex asked me, the slow panic and realisation building in his eyes.
I finally snapped. The tears started and my knees gave way. I dragged Alex down with me. I struggled to breathe and buried my face into his dirty jacket and he slowly wrapped his arms around me. They tightened after a second.
“Make it stop,” I begged him. “Make the pain stop.”
I couldn’t breathe. The edges of my vision darkened and I sank thankfully into the darkness.

1500 words