Chapter 22-Escape

"Gally?" Thomas asked, starting forward.

"Don't," Teresa said, grabbing his arm. "He's been stung."

Black veins stand out against the pale skin visible on Gally's neck.

"We can't leave," Gally said, tears slipping down his face.

"We did. Gally, we're out," Thomas told him. "We're free."

"Free? You think we're free out there? No. No, there's no escape from this place.

Newt positioned himself so he stood in front of me. My eyes flicked to the knives that Minho had sheathed in his runner harness. I moved slowly, trying not to draw attention to myself. I moved behind Minho and pulled the knife out. Gally's focus sat fixed on Thomas. Newt flicked a glance to me and I met his eyes.

"Gally, listen to me," Thomas pleaded, "You're not thinking straight. We can help you. Just put down the gun."

"I belong to the maze, we all do."

His hand trembled on the trigger and I barely noticed the knife leave my hand. The gun went off with a bang. The knife wobbled but sank into Gally's chest with a thud. He sank to his knees and then onto the floor. Shock numbed my other emotions. Newt grabbed my hand and rubbed it, he looked shocked as well.

"Thomas," Chuck's quiet voice broke the silence. We all turned to look at him. Blood bloomed through his shirt, he collapsed into Thomas's arms. I dropped to my knees next to them and stripped off my hoodie, revealing the scars that I kept hidden from the others. I pressed the hoodie against the gunshot wound and tried to stop the bleeding. Thomas was swearing.

"Chuck, look at me! Just hang on okay?" Thomas begged the boy.

"Thomas, Thomas," Chuck managed, and pressed a wooden object into his hand.

"No, Chuck. You're gonna give it to them yourself. Remember, I told you that," Thomas sobbed.

"Take it," Chuck told him.

"No."

My hoodie was dark red with blood. Newt's kneeled next to me now, his hand on my back.

"Thank you, thank you," Chuck whispered and then he was gone. My hands fell limp and Newt pulled me away and into his arms. Blood dripped from my hands and I sobbed against him. Thomas begged and yelled at Chuck to wake up. The door opened and light flooded the room. Newt pulled me to my feet. Masked people with guns rushed in and started pulling us towards the exit. Newt grabbed my hand tightly as we were forced to move towards the exit. I cast another look back at Thomas still holding onto Chuck's body and Gally dead by the knife I threw. We ran outside, I squinted in the bright light. I stumbled on the sand. Sand dunes rolled into the distance, the ruins of old buildings tower over the landscape. We ran towards a helicopter waiting for us and we clambered in, Newt helped me up and I collapsed against him, exhausted. Someone else climbed in after us and removed his mask.

"You guys all right?" He asked, not waiting for an answer. "You're safe now."

The helicopter took off, it rose higher until we could see over the huge concrete walls, we saw the inner walls of the maze and the Glade. Smoke rose into the sky from the Glade from the battle with the Grievers the night before. Newt looked away from the window and at me pressed against him. He pulled me closer. I dried my bloody hands on my pants and tried to hide my arms by habit.

"Relax kid, everything's going to change," the weird person said to Thomas.

I cuddled against Newt more until I felt exhaustion pull me into sleep.

595 words