Chapter 6-An Encounter in the Forest

Trigger warnings: harassment by a boy (not Newt or any of the important characters), panic.

2 months later

Y/n POV

Me and Newt grew closer after that night, we cuddled together a few nights a week to comfort each other. I was watching Newt work in the garden when Minho came up to me and started talking. After a minute he snapped his fingers in front of my face and smirked at me, I gave him a confused look.

"What?" I asked him.

"I was talking to you and I'm quite hurt that you didn't hear the important things I said because you were staring at Newt."

I rolled my eyes and turned my face to hide the blush that was spreading across my face, "I was not staring at him, I was surveying the garden to see what we can improve."

"Riiiight."

"Oh shut up," I told him and swatted his arm. I admitted to Minho a month ago that I liked Newt more than a friend. I now regretted telling him because he took every, single, opportunity to tease me. Even more than he used to do.

"Seriously though—"

"Wow, I didn't know you could be serious," I interrupted, knowing where this conversation was going.

"You should tell him you're in love with him," Minho insisted.

"I already told you I can't, I don't want to ruin our friendship," I sighed. "And if it's so easy to confess your love to someone, go tell Ben how you feel about him."

"Stop trying to change the subject. Newt wouldn't ruin the friendship between you because of that, besides—" he abruptly cut himself off.

"Besides what?"

"Nevermind," Minho said too quickly and looked nervous.

"Tell me or I'll kick you."

"Alby said if you kick one more person he'll throw you in the Slammer," Minho reminded me. I rolled my eyes and glanced back at Newt who was now looking at us with a weird expression on his face. He quickly looked away and went back to work. I looked back at Minho and narrowed my eyes, he quickly backed away.

"Oh what was that Alby? Okay I'm coming. Gotta go bye," he took off, I considered chasing him but decided I would not be able to catch up to the Keeper of the Runners and I wasn't bothered running anyway. I walked over to where Newt was to help him out, he glanced at me with an irritated expression. I froze and stared at him.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Nothing," he snapped. I winced slightly. Newt never spoke to anyone like that unless he was having a really bad day.

"Okay then," I set to work on trimming one of the vines. Soon the day ended and Newt walked away from me. I was tempted to follow him but decided to give him space. I sat next to Minho at dinner, Newt was nowhere to be seen. Minho watched me looking around for Newt but said nothing. Newt was not there when I went to bed or when I woke up and I barely saw him the next day.

After dinner—which was chicken, I hoped it was the chicken that had run at me on my first day in the Glade—I went looking for Newt. I wandered through the garden which was completely empty, I searched the Homestead and the Bloodhouse but Newt was nowhere to be found. Finally, I decided to wander through the Deadheads, which in hindsight was a terrible idea, but I was starting to panic. I shivered and wrapped my arms around myself, the sticks and dead leaves crunched beneath my boots. I wandered around for a while until I heard the snap of a stick behind me. I turned around, it was one of the boys I don't really know but I thought his name was Sam. The back of my neck prickled with unease.

"What?" I asked but he did not answer, instead he took several steps closer. My hands flew up in front of me instinctively. "Stop." I warned him.

"Oh come on, you're the only girl. Give me a kiss and I won't hurt you."

"Go away and I won't hurt you."

He laughed, "Feisty aren't you?"

He lunged and grabbed my arm and his other hand flew up to cover my mouth. He slammed me against a tree and I let out a whimper of pain. Panic seized me and I struggled in his grip. I forced my mind to focus and brought my knee up hard and he grunted but did not let go. I dug my fingernails into his arm and thrashed around enough to break free of his grip. I elbowed him hard and made a break for it. I sprinted through the trees towards what I thought was the Homestead. It was late, I had spent longer wandering the Deadheads than I had thought. Luckily I emerged from the trees but I was running in the direction of the Bloodhouse. If I changed direction and ran for the Homestead he would catch me. Adrenaline pushed me to run faster. I noticed two people in the shadows of one of the sheds near the Bloodhouse. Newt and Minho. They both looked up when I came closer. I finally reached them and nearly collapsed, I gasped for breath. They both looked confused until they noticed Sam. Minho moved so he was standing in front of me. Newt moved closer to me so he could move quickly to shield me if Sam tried anything.

"Sam, what do you want?" Minho asked, I could hear the protective edge to his voice.

"Just move," Sam ordered them, "It's not fair how Newt gets the girl all to himself."

"I don't belong to anyone," I snapped but Sam went on like I hadn't spoken.

"Broken, limping Newt, " Sam seethed, Newt's expression turned miserable, "I don't know what she sees in him, he's pathetic—"

Sam was interrupted when I moved quickly and punched him in the face. I was rewarded with a loud crack. Sam fell back on the ground, blood poured from his nose and he whimpered from the pain. I shook my hand to try and relieve the pain. I went to kick him but someone's arms wrapped around me and pulled me back.

"Y/n, no," Newt struggled to hold me, "It's okay, it's okay," he repeated and I bit back a sob and relaxed in his arms. Minho grabbed Sam and dragged him to his feet, he turned to look at us.

"Take her back to the Homestead and get Alby and the Medjacks, I'm throwing this shank in the Slammer," Minho said and roughly dragged Sam away. I was dimly aware of Newt nodding and walking me back to the Homestead while Minho took Sam to the Slammer. Newt took me to our room and guided me to my bed and started to leave.

"Please don't go," I begged and grabbed his hand. He gave me a sad look.

"I'm going to get Alby and the Medjacks, I'll be right back," he tried to pull his hand free but I didn't let go. "Y/n, I promise. I'll be right back."

I forced myself to drop his hand, and he left the room. The silence was suffocating, nausea flooded through me and I pulled off my boots and curled up in a ball on my bed. Several long moments passed before Newt returned, Alby stood at the door to get a quick look at me and then left to go deal with Sam. Newt sank to his knees next to my bed to meet my eyes.

"I'm sorry Y/n, I know you probably don't want to talk about it—"

"I was in the Deadheads," Newt frowned but said nothing. I knew he would blame himself if I said I went looking for him, "I was just walking around and he came out of nowhere. I told him to go away but he grabbed me and shoved me against a tree," my voice broke, Newt gently stroked my hand, "He was trying to kiss me but I managed to get away. I ran out of the forest and I saw you and Minho so I ran over to you, and well you know the rest." The tears were coming freely now. "Hold me, please," I begged him. He stood up, took his boots off and helped me up so he could pull the blankets back. I clung to him, he helped me into bed and he crawled in next to me. He pulled me close and I sobbed into his shirt until I managed to calm down enough to speak.

"Why were you avoiding me?" I asked him.

"Why were you in the Deadheads?" He countered.

"I asked my question first."

He sighed, "It was stupid, just forget about it, okay?"

"Fine," I sighed and moved closer, Newt's arms tightened slightly around me.

"Are you going to answer my question?" He asked.

"You didn't answer mine so I won't answer yours," I replied and felt him sigh. Newt began rubbing circles on my back. Sleep came surprisingly quickly after that, the nightmares too.