Chapter 35-The Right Arm

Newt POV

I rode shotgun as we drove towards the mountains. I kept half expecting Y/n to burst out of nowhere and slap me out of it. The empty feeling wrapped itself tight around my heart and all I wanted was for Y/n to be here. I didn't care if we fought for the rest of our lives, I would've preferred that to this. Jorge drove the car along the road until we came to a line of cars blocking the road.

"Well, I guess we're on foot."

We all got out and grabbed our stuff. We slowly walked past the cars, looking at them as we passed. Minho walked next to me, we stopped and checked the open boot of a car, completely empty. A gunshot went off and Minho quickly pulled me down and we hid behind one of the cars.

"Hey, is everyone okay out there?" Thomas's voice echoed from somewhere.

"We're fine!" Minho yelled back.

"Does anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" I yelled to the others.

"Marcus! He led us into an ambush!" Jorge's angry voice sounded closer than Thomas's. I saw Thomas's head poke up from behind a car and another gunshot went off. He ducked out of sight. There was a moment of silence and then Jorge's voice.

"Everybody! Get ready to sprint back to the truck! And hold your ears!"

Minho and I do as we were told. Then I noticed two girls come out of nowhere and point their guns at us.

"Drop it!" The dark skinned girl yelled at Thomas. "Now! I said drop it! On your feet. Let's go. You two, over here now!" the girl yelled at Minho and I. We slowly got up with our hands up and made our way over. "Aris?"

We all looked at Aris who looked just as confused as the rest of us. The girl pulled her mask down and Aris's face lit up in recognition.

"Oh my god. Harriet?" Aris stared at them. The blonde girl also pulls her mask down. "Sonya?"

"What the hell are you doing here?" She demanded. Aris moved forward to hug her and then Sonya.

"Aris, you're lucky we didn't shoot you," the blonde girl laughed.

"How...?" He asked wonderingly.

"What's happening?" Thomas asked, looking between them.

"We were in the maze together," Aris explained.

"We're clear, guys! Come on out!" Harriet whistled loudly and people appeared along the top of the ridge. Harriet and Sonya led us along the road. Other people moved a truck that was blocking the tunnel through the rock face. Harriet said something but I'm zoned out. My mind on Y/n again. Minho nudged me and I snapped back to reality.

"Wait, so, how did you guys get here?" Thomas asked suddenly.

"The Right Arm got us out," Harriet replied.

"Wait, the Right Arm? Do you know where they are?" Thomas asked.

Harriet opened a door to a truck, "Hop in."

We drove a fair distance before the truck stopped and we hopped out. We saw a large camp crawling with people, mostly young people.

"They've been planning this for years. This is all for us. You guys are lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light. Where's Vince?" Harriet asked someone as we passed them.

"Somewhere over there, I think," the person waved their hand in a vague direction.

"I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army," Minho commented.

"Yeah, we were," a voice answered.

We turn to see a man with longish dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. There's a boy about our age next to him with warm brown skin and dark hair."This is all that's left of us. Lot of good people died getting us this far."