Chapter 13-Things Get Worse

The blurry face of my brother haunted my dreams as usual. When I woke up I was cuddling a pillow instead of my boyfriend. I sighed and cuddled closer to it and tried to get more sleep. A while later I heard the door open and felt warm lips on my cheek.

"If you're here to get me out of bed to work, go away. If you're here to replace the pillow I'm cuddling then get in bed already," I told Newt, I kept my eyes shut.

"Come on love, you have to get up."

"No, I'm happy here pretending this pillow is you," I snuggled close to it to prove my point.

"Love," Newt leaned forward and buried his face in my neck, "Come on, get out of bed."

I sighed but gave in, I crawled out of bed and awkwardly stood up. Newt pulled me against him.

"How's Minho?" I asked.

"He's still in shock I think. He and Ben have been best friends for so long and could have been something more."

I nodded and pushed him towards the door, he gave me a confused look.

"I need to change, get out."

He stood outside the door while I got changed. I opened the door when I was done and Newt held my hand as we walked to get breakfast. Everyone seemed upset and quiet except for Thomas, who continued to ask many questions. Eventually I glared at him and he shut up. After breakfast Newt, Zart and I began cutting a tree stump. Thomas was supposed to be helping but sat with Chuck and asked more questions. I began to wonder how he came up with all of them.

"But why would Alby go into the maze? He's not a runner?" Thomas asked and I fought the urge to throw something at him because there was only a machete in my hands.

"Things are different now," Newt told him, "Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Look, are you gonna help?"

"So he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?"

"Alby knows what he's doing, better than any of us."

"What does that mean?" Thomas asked.

Newt went on to explain how Alby was the first Glader. I zoned out, trying to remember last night's dreams. They were always the same, filled with my brother's blurry figure and that girl who had killed him. I barely noticed when the knife I was using slipped and cut a shallow wound on my hand. Newt noticed immediately and grabbed my hand to inspect the wound. I hissed in pain and dropped the knife. Red blood started to seep from the wound and ran off my hand. Newt pulled me in the direction of the Med-jack hut.

"You need to be more careful," Newt scolded.

"Yeah," I agreed.

Newt pulled me into the hut, the Med-jacks however weren't inside. Newt instructed me to sit on one of the beds and I listened to him. He grabbed a cloth and began to put pressure on the cut. We sat there in silence for a couple minutes until I leaned forward and rested my head against him.

"You okay love?" he asked.

"I want cuddles."

Newt laughed quietly and pulled me close against him, he made sure that the cloth was still properly on the wound. We stayed there leaning against each other until the cut finally stopped bleeding. Newt got up to get water to wash the blood from my hand. After that he inspected it and when he was satisfied with it, he bandaged it to keep it clean. He pressed a light kiss to it and looked up at me, his brown eyes dark brown in the dimly lit hut.

"Do I get a kiss as a reward?" he asked. I laughed and leaned in to kiss him on the lips for a couple seconds and then broke away. He pouted and pulled me in again for more. His arm wrapped around me and his other hand went into my hair. My good hand cupped his face and stroked his cheek lovingly. Someone coughed awkwardly and we reluctantly broke apart. Jeff and Clint stood at the doorway. They stared at us for several seconds, we stared back.

"I hope you're here for something medical related, not just to kiss without being yelled at by Alby," Jeff said.

"Y/n cut her hand, so we came to bandage it," Newt explained. Clint inspected my hand and was satisfied enough to let me go. Newt grabbed my good hand and pulled me out of the hut. I burst out laughing as soon as we got outside. Newt grinned and pulled me in for another kiss. I felt water drip down my cheek and I broke the kiss to look up at the sky. Grey clouds covered the sky and it started to rain.

"Come on," Newt said and we walked over to the shelter near where the other boys slept. It started to pour down and we ran the rest of the way. I sheltered my wounded hand under my hoodie and grabbed Newt's hand. We finally reached the shelter and I brushed wet strands of hair out of my face.

We waited around for a couple hours, staring at the gap in the wall. Minho and Alby had still not returned. Newt leaned back against a tree while I sat on a chair next to him.

"They should be back by now. What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas asked.

"They're going to make it," Newt said firmly but a sliver of worry remained in his voice.

Hours later we stood outside the doors as the last couple minutes ticked by.

"Come on, guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asked.

"That's against the rules, either they make it back or they don't. We can't risk losing anyone else," Gally stared into the Maze.

The doors started to creak shut.

"Oh no," Chuck cried.

My hand latched onto Newt's hand and I held it tightly praying to whoever was listening that the boys made it back.

"There!" Thomas shouted pointing at Minho and Alby as they came around the final corner. Alby was slung across Minho's back

"Wait, something's wrong," Newt said.

"Come on, Minho, you can do it!"

"Come on!"

"Minho, you gotta leave him!"

"They're not gonna make it," Newt said despairingly.

Thomas shot a quick look at us, I realised what he was about to do and lunged for him.

"Thomas, no!"

But he was already passing through the stone doors, my outstretched hand grabbed onto the back of his shirt but I didn't expect him to be so strong. I lost balance and got dragged in after him. I whipped around and met Newt's panicked eyes for a split second before the doors shut completely.

Newt POV

Y/n ripped herself from my grip and lunged toward Thomas, her hand closed around a grasp the fabric of his shirt. By then I was reaching for her but she was half dragged forward into the maze after Thomas. She turned her head to look over her shoulder. Her eyes met mine and I could see the shock and horror in them. The doors shut. Everyone went quiet for a minute. Y/n was gone. My Y/n. Gone.

1184 words