Chapter 25. 1814

On the morning of 25 January, Julian and Briella stood at the altar of St. George's Chapel, smiling at each other. It was the day of their wedding, the day that would begin their new lives together as husband and wife. The guest list was small, consisting of only close friends and family.
Briella felt like a duchess. She was very impressed with the gown that Delilah had made. It was composed of cream silk with ivory lace along the sweetheart neckline. The sleeves were off the shoulder and silver thread sparkled throughout the entire gown. Cream silk gloves completed her ensemble, and her hair was fixed into a side bun with curls.
Julian was wearing a three-piece black silk suit with a cream button up shirt silver cravat and black boots. He couldn't believe how beautiful his future duchess was, standing before him like an angel. He couldn't stop smiling.
The minister turned his attention to Julian after addressing the crowd. "Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"
Julian. "I do."
The minister turned his attention to Briella. "Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?"
Briella. "I do."
The minister turned his attention to the group of guests. "Does anyone have any objections to this union?"
The group of guests remained silent, no one having any objections. They were happy for the couple.
Minister. "Then by the power given to me by the Holy Spirit, I now pronounce you husband and wife."
Julian and Briella exchanged a soft smile before kissing sweetly. They turned and smiled at their guests before leading them in out of the chapel and into their carriages. Climbing inside their own carriage, they settled back and escorted the procession of vehicles to York Park for the reception.
Briella exhaled slowly, closing her eyes and basking in the glow of becoming the Duchess of York. She couldn't believe how her life had transformed over the last several months. It had transformed from dark and dismal to bright and brilliant. And it was because of her husband sitting across from her.
Julian smiled, reaching across the carriage and gently taking her gloved hand into his. "You seem deep in thought my love."
Briella opened her eyes, smiling at him. "I apologize my dear, I was just thinking about how my life has turned around."
Julian. "I do hope for the better."
Briella squeezed his fingers. "Oh yes, for the better I assure you. If it wasn't for you, I don't know what would have happened to me. You saved my life from misery and darkness. I am forever grateful to you for that."
Julian smiled, reaching out and picking her up from her seat and placing her onto his lap. He brought his lips to hers for a soft kiss. "I love you."
Briella smiled, returning his kiss. "As I love you. I am very much looking forward to this evening."
Julian raised one eyebrow. "And what exactly is happening this evening my dear?"
Briella's eyes sparkled. "Our wedding night."
Julian's eyes lit up. "Of course, I almost forgot."
Briella playfully smacked his shoulder. "You did no Such Thing your grace."
Julian chuckled, holding her close. "I am only teasing my dear. Of course I would never forget our most sacred night. I've been waiting several months for this to happen."
Briella placed her head against his shoulder. "I have as well. I've been dreaming about this night and what it would be like."
Julian brushed his lips against her forehead. "I have as well. I promise you that everything is going to be perfect."
Briella. "I know everything is going to be perfect."
They exchanged several sweet kisses as the carriage continued driving toward York Park. They knew that night was going to be filled with pleasure and love. They could feel the passion and desire desperate to burst between them, and they couldn't wait to be alone.
***
Five hours later, Briella was having a dance with her brother Francis. The two of them had made amends after the fiasco with Charles. They both agreed that the past would be put behind them and never spoken of again.
Francis. "Tell me, how does it feel to be  the Duchess of York?"
Briella giggled. "It feels wonderful. Julian has made me so happy."
Francis. "Good, I'm glad he has. Your happiness is my concern and priority."
Briella. "I believe it is your turn to tell me brother, am I to be an aunt?"
Frances chuckled. "Not yet. Adeleine and I were waiting for you to be married so we could start our families together."
Briella smiled, hugging her brother. "The two of you are wonderful. I'm not sure how long it is going to take Julian and I to conceive our first child, but hopefully soon."
Francis gave her a soft squeeze. "All in good time my dear sister. I know we will have children, sooner or later."
Briella. "Indeed we will."
Once the dance came to an end, Frances kissed his sister on the cheek before stepping away and moving over to Adaline. He was very happy that Briella had found the love of her life, and a Duke no less. Passing by Julian, he gave the gentleman a soft smile and a nod.
Julian returned the gesture before taking his wife into his arms. "Your brother approves."
Briella giggled, hugging him close. "Of course he does."
Julian brushed his lips against hers. "I believe it's time for the two of us to make our escape into our bedroom. The guests are beginning to leave. Except Francis and Adaline."
Briella smiled. "Thank you for letting them stay here for the night."
Julian. "Of course my love."
Saying good night to their guests as they left the beautiful estate, the Duke and Duchess of York made their way up the marble staircase and into their chamber. They closed the door behind them, blocking out the remaining noise. At last, it was just the two of them. Completely and utterly alone.