Chapter 20. 1813 

Briella was having a marvelous time with Viscount Calais, discovering that he and Victoria had been lovers for the last two years. Gregory was a wonderful gentleman, with dark red hair and vivid blue eyes. He was very kind and intelligent, not to mention a lover of horseback riding.
Briella. "Have you and Victoria expressed your feelings for one another my Lord?"
Gregory blushed, shaking his head. "Not yet, but I do plan to tell her of my feelings eventually."
Briella giggled. "I have no doubt the two of you are going to fall madly in love."
Gregory chuckled. "I have no doubt of that either. Oh, I believe one of the servants is wanting your attention Miss Weston."
Noticing Carter making his way toward her with an expression of uneasiness, Briella excused herself from Gregory and moved toward him. "What is it Carter?"
Carter took a breath. "I am sorry to disturb you Miss Weston, but a gentleman wishes to speak with you in the parlor."
Briella blinked, confused. "Did this gentleman give his name?"
Carter shook his head. "No, he did not."
Briella nodded before making her way toward the parlor. Looking around, she didn't see anyone. Then she remembered there were parlors off the ballroom. Making her way back into the large gathering, she swept through the room and into another parlor. Her eyes traveled across the room, but she found it empty.
Shaking her head, Briella turned and was just about to step back into the ballroom, when the door to the parlor slammed shot on its own. Her eyes widened as she tried to open it, but found it locked. The sound of a dark and deadly chuckle from behind her caused her head to whip around.
A gentleman was standing before her, a gentleman that Briella knew all too well. His black and silver disguise couldn't hide his identity. She swallowed hard, her heart pounding with fear as she recognized Lord Charles Valmont.
Charles smiled deviously, his eyes glowing beneath his mask. "Well good evening Briella."
Briella began to tremble. "What the hell are you doing here? I don't believe you were invited."
Charles stepped forward, smiling wickedly. "No, I was certainly not invited."
Briella. "Then why are you here?"
Charles was now inches away from her. He tilted her chin up with his index finger. "I am here for you."
Briella felt the color vanish from her face. "But why?"
Charles moved his lips to her ear. "You know why."
Briella shook her head with fear. "No, I certainly don't."
Charles growled, grabbing her around the neck and throwing her against the chaise. "Because you lost my son! Because of that, you will pay dearly."
Briella struggled against him, but then felt his fingers become tighter. She was having a hard time breathing, her heart pounding. "My Lord, please..."
Charles smiled wickedly, snapping his fingers and producing a silver blade. With one swift flick of his wrist, he drove the blade into Briella's right hand. "Oh my dear sweet Briella, you have no idea what I have planned for you."
Briella screamed as the blade sliced into her palm, the cream silk of her glove becoming torn. The silver burned her skin, and she gave another cry of agony. She felt a fist connect with the left side of her head, felt her mask slide off her face. And then, she fell into darkness.
***
The high-pitched agonized scream had Julian's blood turning into ice. He whipped his head around toward the direction of where the scream had come from, as did Victoria and several other gentlemen and ladies. His eyes scanned the crowded ballroom for Briella, but he couldn't find her.
Feeling his heart beginning to pound like wildfire, Julian moved toward the parlor that was off the ballroom. He tried the door, but it was locked. He cursed just as he felt Victoria come up behind him.
Victoria. "I have a terrible feeling that something has happened to her."
Julian world around to look at her. "What do you mean?"
Victoria swallowed. "I can sense that something has happened. Briella is in trouble."
Julian was about to reply, but then noticed Carter rushing toward them. On closer inspection, he noticed that the butler was very pale. "What happened?"
Carter took a breath. "Your grace, Miss Rosewood, I do not know the specifics of what has taken place, but earlier this evening a gentleman came and asked the whereabouts of Miss Weston. He was wanting to speak with her, alone. I watched him go into that exact room." he pointed a trembling index finger toward the locked door.
Julian removed his mask. "And do you know who this gentleman was?"
Carter shook his head. "No your grace, he did not give his name. However, I did feel very uneasy speaking with him."
Julian nodded before turning his attention back to the locked door. Waving his hand, he unlocked the door and stepped inside. He froze halfway at the threshold, a soft gasp escaping his lips as he saw what was before him.
Victoria. "What is it?"
Julian felt nauseous as he stepped inside the parlor. His eyes flew around the room, before landing on the puddle of blood by the chaise. He took a tentative breath and felt his throat burn. The blood smelled sweet, like honeysuckle.
Carter. "There is no one here your grace, except a puddle of blood. And a mask."
Feeling his throat constrict, Julian glanced down at the mask that was lying in the pool of blood. His eyes widened, his fingers shaking as he picked it up. "This is the mask Briella was wearing tonight."
Victoria became pale. "Do you think that's her blood?"
Julian took another tentative breath, and his body became inflamed. He swallowed hard before turning to look at Victoria. "It is her blood. Someone attacked her."
Victoria gasped. "But who?"
Julian stared down at the beautiful mask that was covered with blood. "The same person who took her."
Carter. "But who has held a grudge against Miss Weston?"
Julian growled, his voice deadly. "One gentleman."
Victoria went wide-eyed. "Your grace, you don't mean..."
Julian nodded. "Briella was attacked, and kidnapped, by Lord Charles Valmont."

Desired by the Duke (Completed)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara