Chapter 23. 1813

Over the next several months, Briella began to heal. The process was slow, but she was given the space and time to do so. She was grateful to Julian, as well as the York household, forgiving her so much support and love. She was no longer alone.
By December, Briella was no longer having nightmares, no longer reliving the horror that she had endured before meeting Julian. Charles was dead, and she was a free woman. At last, she was happy.
For his part, Julian was pleased Briella was making progress. He didn't make love to her, because he was still respecting her space. However, he did give her tender kisses whenever he could. He was glad when she reciprocated his sweet affection.
During those few months, Julian and Briella didn't stay at Monroe Park or York Park for more than a few hours at a time. They enjoyed afternoon tea with Francis and Adeleine, visited Victoria at Dona Bella, and enjoyed the opera. They felt the desire and passion flowing between them whenever they were in close proximity, but they held back. The right opportunity to make love and be intimate was close, but it wasn't the right moment.
On a cold but clear morning, Briella stepped into the ballroom, having been told by Thompson that the Duke of York had a surprise for her. She was a bit confused. What surprise did Julian have?
Briella looked around the room, noticing nine large white boxes placed in a neat row in front of her. She frowned, noticing Julian stepping out from behind one of the boxes. "Your grace, what is all of this?"
Julian smiled. "Well my dear, because you are my mistress, I would like to give you a gift. More than one gift actually."
Briella raised one eyebrow. "And what gift is that?"
Smiling even brighter, Julian snapped his fingers and the boxes opened like flower petals. "Have a look."
Briella gasped, her eyes going wide. Her hand flew to her mouth. "Julian..."
Nine magnificent gowns, each one more beautiful than the last, stretched out before her. The colors ranged from Buttercup yellow to dusty blue and blush pink. Three had square neck lines, three had sweetheart necklines, and three had V-neck lines. They all had off the shoulder sleeves, and complementary jewelry.
Briella allowed her eyes to travel to the jewelry that each ensemble had. Her mouth dropped open as she took in the necklaces earrings and bracelets. There were three hearts, three roses, and three butterflies. Each piece of jewelry had sparkling multi colored diamonds.
Julian slid his arms around her from behind, placing his chin against her shoulder. "Do you like them my love?"
Briella turned to look at him, her eyes glistening with tears. "They are magnificent my dear, thank you. However, I am not worthy of them."
Julian took a step back, looking at her confused. "What do you mean? Of course you are."
Briella shook her head. "No, I most certainly am not. These fine clothes and jewelry are fit for a duchess, not a whore."
Julian growled. "You are not a whore."
Briella glared at him. "No? Then what am I to you? I appreciate you giving me space these last several months so that I could recover from my ordeal, truly I do. But I feel as if I have become a failure to you. I have not pleased you in any shape or form, aside from that one time."
Julian took a step forward, taking her face between his hands. His eyes stayed fixed with hers. "You have pleased me Briella, so much. And I don't mean physically."
Briella stared at him. "Then how have I pleased you?"
Julian brushed his lips against hers. "With your smile, your laugh. Your company. Your presence. You have made me happy, so very happy. Not a single day goes by that I don't regret saving you from Ruby Hall.. You have brought joy into my life, joy that I never thought I would experience. My Darling Briella, I love you."
Briella felt her heart squeeze, and then begin pounding like wildfire. Julian loved her. Her. She swallowed. "Truly?"
Julian nodded. "Most fervently. I have loved you ever since our eyes met all those months ago. I have loved you during every moment we have spent together. I never want to be parted from you, and I never want you to be part it from me. My heart yearns for you, calls your name ardently. My beautiful darling, I no longer want you as my mistress, but as my wife."
Briella was at a complete loss for words. Julian loved her. He was wanting her to be his wife and not his mistress. She smiled brilliantly, brushing her lips against his. "My dearest Julian, I love you with all of my heart. From the moment we met, I knew you would be different from the other men I've had to endure. You showed me kindness, love and respect. You showed me what it was like to be happy with someone and not fearful. You make me laugh and smile. My heart calls for you whenever we are apart. You have brought peace and happiness into my life, peace and happiness that I never thought I would get to feel. I am forever grateful to you for saving my life that night. If it wasn't for you, I don't know what would have become of me. I never want us to be apart again."
Beaming from ear to ear, Julian kissed her softly. Then he went down on one knee before her and produced a small white box from the pocket of his trousers. He took her hand, his eyes fixed with hers as he removed the lid of the box. "Well then my dear Miss Weston, I believe this is yours."
Briella covered her mouth with surprise, her eyes beginning to glisten with more tears as she saw the breathtaking ring twinkling up at her. The band was white gold, the rainbow colored diamonds formed into three layers. The first layer was a majestic butterfly, the second layer a delicate heart, and the third layer a beautiful rose. The diamonds sparkled brilliantly beneath the sunlight streaming in through the large windows.
Julian squeezed her hand. "My dearest Briella, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"
Briella smiled radiantly, allowing the tears to fall freely down her cheeks. She was loved. She was adored. She was going to be the Duchess of York. "Yes, yes I will!"