Chapter 13. 1813 

Climbing out of the carriage, Julian turned and offered Briella his hand. Once she was out of the vehicle, he escorted her up the three stone steps to the front door. He knocked three times.
The door opened, and a butler wearing the finest livery stood in the doorway. The moment he saw Julian, he dipped his head. "Your grace, it's good of you to come again. Miss Rosewood is expecting you. She is in the parlor."
Julian gave him a smile. "Thank you Carter."
The inside of the beautiful estate was just as lovely. The walls were composed of cream with Dusty champagne trim. The floor was composed of white marble that went up a luxurious circular staircase. There was a large ballroom with several doors leading into other rooms that could be used for card games, smoking, or other activities. There was a large parlor, dining room, and kitchen.
Briella could only guess what the upstairs portion of the estate possessed. Several luxurious rooms that could be used for pleasure purposes. She couldn't believe how magnificent, and how different, Donna Bella was from Ruby Hall.
Carter escorted Julian and Briella into the parlor. He cleared his throat. "The Duke of York and Miss Weston Madam."
Briella watched as Victoria Rosewood stood up from her position on the chaise by the window. She was lovely, possessing dark brown curls fixed into a chignon and rich brown eyes. She was wearing a gown of pistachio silk that hugged every curve of her body.
Victoria smiled, her dark eyes falling on Julian. "It's a pleasure to see you again your grace. I'm glad you have brought Miss Weston with you. I've been anxious to meet her."
Briella instantly felt a sense of peace flow through her. Unlike Esmeralda, who had a very sharp voice, Victoria had a soft spoken tone. She felt her body relax.
Julian stepped forward, kissing Victoria's knuckles. "It's a pleasure to see you again Miss Rosewood. I do believe you will provide Miss Weston with whatever she needs."
Victoria nodded. "Of course your grace. Miss Weston is going to be very well taken care of here."
Julian. "I have no doubt."
Victoria. "Oh, before I forget, you are coming to my ball next week are you not?"
Julian smiled, his eyes lighting up. "You do realize I wouldn't miss any of your soirées."
Victoria. "I'm glad, because this ball is going to be the one where I am going to match courtesans with permanent protectors."
Julian chuckled. "I am looking forward to it then."
Vivian smiled, stepping out of the room to give Julian and Briella some privacy. She knew very well that Miss Weston was going to have the most wonderful protector.
Julian took briella's hands into his, squeezing them gently. "I do hope you will be happy here. Miss Rosewood has promised me that she is going to take care of you."
Briella looked up at him, her heart squeezing. "I cannot thank you enough for what you've done your grace. I wish there was a way that I could..."
Julian shook his head. "There is no need for you to do anything of that sort. It was my pleasure to help you."
They gazed at each other, their eyes fixed in a magnetic hold that couldn't be broken. And then, without even thinking, they stepped forward and wrap their arms around one another for a tight embrace. After several moments, they reluctantly drew back, giving each other a soft smile before separating.
Briella watched as Julian climbed into his carriage and disappeared. Her heart felt heavy, tears beginning to flow down her cheeks. She was already missing the Duke of York, and wasn't sure when she would see him again.
Victoria walked back into the room, and noticing her new guest crying, strode forward and took Briella into her arms. "Don't you fret my dear, you are safe with me. I am going to make you into a proper courtesan. A courtesan that no gentleman will be able to resist."
Briella placed her head against Victoria's shoulder, feeling a large weight being removed from her shoulders. She knew this woman was going to treat her the way she deserved to be treated. By the end of her training, she was going to be a proper courtesan, and in the arms of a gentleman who would adore her.
Victoria came away, her brown eyes sparkling and a soft smile on her face. "Come with me my dear, there is much we need to discuss."
Her heart feeling as if it was no longer trapped in a cage, Briella smiled and followed Victoria into the dining room for a cup of tea. Little did she realize that her future permanent protector would be someone she had a beautiful connection with.