Chapter 16. 1813 

Julian took a breath and resumed his seat next to her on the chaise. "I suppose that I could tell you about my previous wife, Penelope."
Briella nodded. "I'm sure she was lovely."
Julian rolled his eyes. "Far from it, I can assure you. She was a pure blood which for one thing. Strawberry blonde and yellow green eyes like those of a cat. I thought the two of us would be compatible with one another, and I was beginning to care for her. But I was sorely mistaken on her feelings for me."
Briella. "How long did the marriage last?"
Julian. "About six months. Then I asked for a divorce when I found her in the arms of another acquaintance of mine. Albert Dawson, Viscount Dawson."
Briella. "My God, I'm so sorry. Why did she decide to begin an affair with him?"
Julian's eyes became dark with anger. "For a bloody stupid reason that I still don't understand."
Briella. "And what was that reason?"
Julian was on his feet again, pacing away from her and to the bed. He took a breath before turning around to face her. "She believed I had a small cock. And a very unsatisfying one at that."
Briella gasped, her eyes wide. A gentleman like the Duke of York being told that he had a small and unsatisfying cock was humiliating. "The bloody little harlot, how could she say something like that to you?"
Julian ran his fingers through his hair. "It wounded my pride for a time, but I didn't let it bother me after our divorce. I forgot all about her. Besides, she has Viscount Dawson to pleasure her now."
Briella nodded, smiling softly. "And you have a mistress."
Julian returned her smile, taking a seat next to her. "Indeed I do. I must ask you, before we begin anything, have you been kissed properly?"
Briella blinked, staring at him. "I... I have, but not properly. I don't even know what a proper kiss feels like, if I must be frank."
Julian growled softly. Of course the poor girl didn't know what a proper kiss felt like. She didn't even know what proper pleasure felt like. He took her hands. "Well, from this moment forward, you are going to receive nothing but proper pleasure. That includes kissing, caressing, and making love. I will not, under any circumstances, hurt you."
Briella felt her throat become tight, a lump beginning to form. Her eyes glistened with tears, a single one cascading down her cheek. "Do you... do you truly mean that?"
Julian caressed her cheek. "Yes, yes I do. You are going to be treated with nothing but love and compassion, desire and adoration. The way a beautiful woman like you deserves to be treated."
Briella could no longer hold back her tears, and she started sobbing as realization struck her in the heart. Julian was going to be the only gentleman to touch her, to kiss her, to pleasure her. Within moments, she was cradled against him.
Julian held her tightly against him, rubbing her back gently. He could feel her body shaking, and his arms tightened even more. He pulled back after a few minutes, taking her face between his hands. His thumbs softly brushed away her tears. "You are going to be safe with me darling, I promise you that."
Briella sniffled. "Thank you your grace. You do not know how much I appreciate your kindness. I promise you that I will be the best mistress I can possibly be."
Julian smiled softly. "Would you like to return to the ballroom? I am sure Victoria is wondering where we are."
Briella giggled. "I believe we should your grace."
Julian rose to his feet, taking her with him. Then he turned to look at her, his emerald eyes and tent on her face. "Before we leave, I should like very much to kiss you. To show you exactly what you are going to be receiving."
Briella felt her heart sputter. Julian was wanting to kiss her. She swallowed hard.
Julian. "Is that all right? I won't if that's not what you want."
Briella shook her head, clearing her thoughts. "No, I... I do want you to kiss me your grace."
Julian nodded slowly before taking her face between his hands. His eyes remained fixed with hers as he brought his lips closer, closer. He brushed the tip of his nose softly against hers.
Briella felt her heart beginning to fly, her skin becoming hot. The duke of York was so close, so close that she could taste him. His delicious smell of peppermint swirled around her, mixing with her own smell of honeysuckle. She had no idea what to expect.
Julian's mouth slowly descended, and he kissed her. His lips caressed hers once, twice, then a third time. His left hand moved to her shoulder, his right hand caressing her cheek.
Briella was expecting pain, forcefulness. She was expecting roughness. Instead, she received sweet gentleness. Her eyes closed, her arms going around his neck on instinct. Her mouth opened with pure invitation.
Julian purred softly, his tongue sliding into her mouth and caressing it with hers. The tip of his tongue cradled the tip of hers, and he growled as he felt his cock beginning to strain against his trousers. Bloody hell, he was wanting to take her, to claim her. But he would wait. He wasn't going to rush anything between them.
Briella felt her body move on instinct, her pelvis brushing against his. She began moving her hips against his with a gentle rhythm. Good Lord, she was wanting more.
Knowing that he couldn't take her at that moment, Julian carefully stepped back, his eyes fixed with hers. "Not here my darling. I want to make sure that you are ready for me to take you."
Briella whimpered. "I am ready to have you your grace. I want to make love to you, to be made love to buy you. I..." She trailed off, her cheeks becoming pink with embarrassment.
Julian smiled deviously, his eyes sparkling. He brushed his lips against hers. "It seems my little courtesan has become rather promiscuous. Don't you fret, you will receive what you desire."
Briella felt her insides beginning to boil over with pleasure. Julian's words had a promise of sweetness that she was ready to devour. She smiled. "Very well, I shall wait."
Julian chuckled. "Good. For the moment, let's return to the ball."