Chapter 14. 1813 

On the evening of Victoria's ball the following week, Briella was a jumble of nerves. This was going to be her proper coming out into the world of courtesans and protectors. She had no idea what to expect, but was excited all the same. That night, she was going to be matched with her permanent protector, and was wanting to make a good impression.
Briella gazed at her reflection in the large gold mirror of her chamber on the second floor. Her luscious curves were accentuated in a cream velvet gown with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline that exposed just enough cleavage to get tongues wagging. The bodice was fixed with lace and diamonds, and her ensemble was complete with a pair of cream silk gloves. Her hair was fixed into an elegant braided chignon, and her feet possessed matching cream silk slippers with lace ribbon wrapping around her ankles. The back of the gown was composed of a corset.
Briella could hear the sound of laughter coming from downstairs in the ballroom, and her heart sputtered. The gathering was going to be on the smaller side, about 40 people in total. 20 gentlemen and 20 ladies. No more, no less.
Briella took a breath, allowing her shoulders to relax. Over the last several days, she had been trained by Victoria to become a proper courtesan. She now knew that love could be a beautiful factor in the protector and courtesan relationship. She was also informed that she would be receiving, as well as giving, pleasure.
Victoria. "You look beautiful my dear."
Turning her head, Briella smiled at her. "Thank you. You look lovely as well."
Victoria stood in the doorway, her dark hair and eyes complemented by the lavender gown she was wearing. She smiled. "Thank you my dear. Are you ready?"
Briella took a breath, her heart slowing down as the anxiety began to ease. She knew Victoria would give her a proper protector. "Yes, I believe I am."
Smiling softly, Victoria looped Briella's arm through hers as the two women walked downstairs and into the ballroom. She knew exactly who Briella was going to have as her protector, but wanted her fellow courtesan to be surprised. She cleared her throat as all eyes turned onto them. "Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce Miss Briella Weston."
Briella smiled tentatively at the group of gentlemen and ladies, her smile only growing as every pair of eyes seemed to sparkle with delight. She didn't feel intimidated by any of them, and it seemed they felt the same. Her eyes instinctively traveled around the room, searching for a pair of dark emerald orbs. However, she didn't see those particular eyes and felt a bit disappointed.
Victoria squeezed her hand softly, sensing her sudden change of mood. "Don't fret my dear, you will be experiencing nothing but joy by the end of this evening."
Briella glanced at her, smiling softly. Victoria knew how to calm her down and make her feel happy. She turned her attention back to the group of men and women, straightening her shoulders. She was going to have a fabulous time that night.
***
By midnight, briella was growing anxious. She hadn't seen Julian all evening, and was beginning to lose hope of ever getting the chance to see him. Hadn't he told Victoria he would be at that soirée? She watched as three more couples, all of them smiling happily, emerged from the hallway leading into several smaller parlors. Her heart plummeted.
Victoria was at her side a few moments later, touching her shoulder. "Your mood has shifted again my dear. What's the matter?"
Briella exhaled slowly. "I have not seen Lord Monroe all evening."
Victoria tried to hide her smile. "You mean the Duke of York?"
Briella nodded. "Yes. I thought he told you he would be here."
Victoria squeezed her shoulder again. "Why don't you go into one of the parlors for a little peace and quiet? The Duke might come in a few moments."
Briella glanced at her suspiciously. "And which parlor should I go to? I believe all of them are occupied at the moment with lovers are they not?"
Victoria couldn't keep the smile from her face. "Not all of them. Come with me."
Briella followed her out of the glittering ballroom and into the hallway. She glanced at all of the parlors as they walked by, able to hear the sounds of pleasure coming from within. There were 12 parlors, six on each side. Most of them were occupied.
Victoria came to a stop before the last parlor on the left. She turned to Briella, smiling. "I believe this one will suit you nicely. It's large and very comfortable."
Briella, still a bit confused, nodded. "Thank you Victoria. I will be in the ballroom shortly."
Victoria hugged her. "Please my dear, take your time."
Briella hugged her back before stepping away and watching her disappear down the hallway and back into the ballroom. Her heart was pounding. Y had Victoria brought her to this specific parlor? And why had she told her to take her time?
Taking a breath and squaring her shoulders, Briella placed her gloved fingertips on the gold door knob and slowly turned it. Swallowing hard, she stepped inside and closed the door behind her. Her eyes swept across the room, and she knew Victoria was right about how it appeared.
The room was large, consisting of a divan beneath a large glass window, a blazing fireplace, and a circular bed big enough for two people. Dusty pink silk cushions were placed neatly on the divan and the bed.
Briella walked to the fire, her eyes fixed on the blazing orange gold and red flames. She closed her eyes, allowing her body to relax. She had no idea if Julian was going to be at that soirée, and she was missing him terribly.
Briella opened her eyes as the sound of the door opening and then closing softly behind her drew her attention. Someone had joined her. She was about to turn around and ask who the intruder was, when she was sweetly assaulted by the delicious smell of peppermint. She stayed with her back to whoever it was, hearing their footsteps making their way toward her.
Moments later, a gentle hand was placed at the middle of her back, and warm lips were at her ear. "Hello darling.".