78. Once A Lone Wolf

Cover art by Arinnami or ari.artdrawing

Chapter 78: Once A Lone Wolf

“So this is where we part for now,” Alfonz asked Aiden and Sega as they stood watching the younger crew say their goodbyes. To Emery and himself, they were all youngsters, but the ones fresh into adulthood tended to be a bit more emotional. “I must say even in my war days, I haven’t had to work this hard. I’m actually looking forward to the bitter cold of winter, even bugs tend to go to sleep in the frigid cold. Void would be foolish to waste his numbers in a blizzard.”

Sega sighed heavily, his arm still in a sling, Esga taking his version of a good long nap after their escapade. He could feel and move his hand already though, so in a day or two he would be okay. "That man, monster, whatever he is, nothing he does has a pattern. Sadly we'll all have to be on our toes until we know it's done."

"What is done," Alfonz asked with a bushy brown brow raised.

"Done is when Esga and I have taken control of the Abyss I guess. That horrid place Void was created. He's nothing more than dark magic and though he cannot be destroyed he can be dispersed. After that," Sega actually pinched Aiden's bearded chin, " this one can burn me to ash if I go all evil maniac. Honestly Alfonz, we're just winging shit here."

Emery's mouth twitched and her face twisted with complicated amusement. "That's not funny Sega, we will hold Aiden to it. I'd say my mate would expect the same from me if we were in your shoes."

Aiden hugged Sega to him with no shame, "it won't happen. I refuse it so that's the end of it. I'll have the Cloud help me build a cage and keep him as my manic pet."

Sega blushed at the hand rubbing his hip, the redness spreading as Vahala and Tahalla approached, the Forest Princess gagging as she approached.

"Sega what is that face? It's all cute and shit. It grosses me out."

Sega cut his icy eyes at Vahala, his straight nose turning up. "Shut up, look at you, domestic and clinging to Tahalla's hip. You're lucky the Meadow is letting you come and stay with them, I don't want you."

Vahala scoffed though she smiled, "is your tamed ass not going back to the Mountain with your big built daddy? Or is that term too creepy since your real, well kinda real one, is trying to take us all out?"

Sega's furry white ears sprung out involuntarily, twitching in annoyance. "I would never in this lifetime call anyone I am fucking, daddy, you melon titted gold digger!"

Vahala cackled at getting a rise out of Sega, "but is he not the one doing the fucking. Digging for what gold, bottom boy? I have my own, I'm the sugar mama, you freaking tatter top."

"I will fight you and your smothering tits woman!"

"Settle down kids," Tahalla pinched Vahala's hip. "I can't believe you two were supposed to mate. You would have poisoned each other or just had evil little minions. I know you are worried about Vahala, Sega, she is in expert hands. Those being mine. We will winter with the troops going to the Meadow. If all stays quiet, we will reconvene in the Cloud to plan our attack. Cerise and your mother will go with Prince Kial and Queen Kialis where they will be safe in the Cloud. Kial promises the Field is safe from harm for now. He says he can't divulge more but I take it you'll trust his word. When winter is over, we will go for the Forest and retrieve Valas."

Sega's expression darkened and he didn't fight Aiden hugging him to his side closer. "Yes, I will only wait out the snow because taking an army across it would be reckless. Only because I know Vyjas won't take his life, there is a plan for him too but…thinking of what punishment he might face while we have to wait…" Sega clenched his good hand, "it's maddening."