33. Good Boy, Bad Boy

Chapter 33: Good Boy, Bad Boy

“I’m sorry,” Naki’s voice rang out over the silence that hovered over the lake. “Ah, that’s not true. I’m not very sorry. I wanted to do that, or I felt like I did, so I did.” He nibbled at his lower lip."I don’t know what I feel sometimes, but I don’t want to wait around for someone to decide my feelings for me. Lately, I feel like I like you more and more, not because you saved my life or because I feel like I owe you."

Naki swept away tendrils of wet hair. “I was angry at you when I first met you. You just came into other’s lives and disrupted them for your own good, but then I realized it wasn’t really what you wanted and it wasn’t just for you. You have all these people you have to make sure survive, and you had to sacrifice your own life to make the decision that you did. I realize now that you didn’t want to do it. Still, after all that crazy God’s nonsense and everything that has happened… I came to realize that I felt less like I was a peace treaty for you and more like someone you genuinely cared about.”

Naki tickled his nose, feeling sheepish about admitting these things. “You just kind of turned out to be less of this boorish King who was trying to squash a power struggle. You became more of this gallant man who was struggling to use your power to do the right things.”

Naki smiled timidly. "I guess I started to fall for you after all." His blush deepened. “I mean, like, liking you, not like... I mean, you know, I’m just trying to figure this out.”

“With a kiss?” Aiden laughed deeply. “Is that how you dissect things? Attaching your lips to them.”

“No,” Naki exclaimed, innocently incredulous. “I’ve never kissed someone first! I just wanted to, so... I did!” How was he hot in the cold water?

Aiden’s eyes crinkled, the heat in them not dampened in the least. Though he did reluctantly release Naki’s creamy thighs from beneath the waters. All of that would have to wait. Naki could barely admit his feelings without stammering and blushing. Nak would have melted away in embarrassment if Naki knew Aiden’s thoughts.

“I am glad you decided to do what you wanted to. I’m thoroughly pleased with the result.” Aiden’s warm hand came up to cup Naki’s cheek. “Let me tell you this. I definitely like you. I more than like you, and it gives me immense happiness to hear you say that I even have a chance of getting you to return these feelings. It scared me to think you’d only hate me because of the way I had to go about things and that we would only ever be mates in title. Whatever feelings you are starting to have, I want you to be willing to explore them with me.”

Naki smiled softly. “I want to. I really want to, for once, be free to be myself fully and unapologetic. I don’t know much about any of this, so I hope you can be patient with me. I know that I like you, but I want to know that I have feelings for you as a man and not you that saved me.”

Aiden chuckled. “You want to make sure you don’t have a hero complex?” He smiled."No promises. Something about you just attracts danger. I might just have to keep rescuing you, damsel."

Naki huffed. “Hey, who saved who? Didn’t I glow and blow bandits to hell?" He flicked water at Aiden."I think I am the one who saved you, damsel."

Aiden’s eyes shone, his expression oddly serious. “You have no idea, Naki. You have saved me.” Naki did not know. He was the reason behind everything that was and could be. Naki was not only his greatest sin, but also his greatest savior.

“I will make sure no harm comes to you, tough guy, and that includes Sega. I know you don’t want to tell me what happened while I was away, but I promise you it will never happen again. Sega will never hurt you in any way again. I have made it clear to him that I put this on my honor as an Alpha. He has no more strikes.”