42. Scents

A/N: There is a trigger in this chapter. I marked the start and end so you can skip the part rather than skip the whole chapter.

Chapter 42: Scents

Naki stared off after his mates, inquisitive eyes darting around the room. He wasn't sure what to do. Trying to blend in, he dislodged himself from the group of people and stood in front of the Forest Queen and her family.

"Umm... I was supposed to meet you all before this happened. I don't quite know how to do this." He gave a deep bow, his silver tresses sweeping over his shoulders. "I'm Naki, Royal Beta to the Mountain King and the Field Prince. It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance, and I hope our packs have fruitful endeavors."

Queen Corana smiled brightly, looking at Queen Emery, amusement crinkling her almond-shaped eyes. "Naki," she said with a deep curtsy, "the pleasure is also ours. We have heard of the trouble-making new Beta of the Mountain. I hope you live up to your reputation." Corana eyed the back figures of her eldest and her mate, their minds focused on the disruption.

Corana motioned her head to her upstart daughter, Cylana, who had not found it worth her attention to speak thus far. She knew her fickle daughter too well. Luckily, her brattiest child only wanted a wealthy mate to milk endlessly. She was too young to cause her too much trouble just yet.

Still, Corana knew her daughter's ears wandered as much as her mind, so she played whichever side most benefited her. Cylana gave a roll of her pearly orbs before giving Naki a curtsy and trailing away.

Corana turned her attention back to Naki. "Forgive her. She's rude like her father. I know you have only gotten to experience the more aggressive side of my family. Please know that we stand united in the Forest, but we are not equal in personality." She looked back at her partner in crime, her youngest and most intelligent. Vyronas' mind could run laps around his brother's. "Vyronas makes sure those two keep their senses so the King's animosity won't reign supreme during the hearings. We look forward to hearing your new opinions. The Royals need fresh blood now."

Vyronas stepped forward with a dazzling smile, his straight teeth pearly white. Eyes like melded jewels gave Naki a once-over before their owner bowed. "Naki, the pleasure is all mine. The person who can tame half of the infamous pair is a keeper in my book."

Naki chuckled, "Uh, that's a complicated statement... I could only assume I know the other half." He gave one last courteous bow. "I'm glad to hear that the Mountain might have an opportunity to heal more relationships," he said, giving them a beaming smile. "And thanks for treating me like an equal."

Naki made to leave. "I think I should go be mate-ish. They both stormed away rather dramatically and..." Naki turned his eyes to the other dramatic scene that he had no part in. "It's rather awkward in here. Until we can talk more."

✧✧✧✧

"I don't know what you mean."

"Don't." Aiden stepped closer to Sega, his large build blocking Sega's sight as he closed the distance between them. "If this were any other moment, any other situation, it wouldn't piss me off." Aiden didn't hesitate, wiping a lower lash line and feeling the moisture tinge Sega's eyes. "But don't look at me with this expression, knowing damn well you are hurting, and lie to me that it's nothing at all."

Sega wanted to turn his face away, but then he felt Aiden's stupidly warm hand on his, balled up and angry, and Sega wanted to scream again. He didn't want Aiden's comfort, because if he received it, he'd crave it. He'd need it. If he needed Aiden's comfort, then he'd need the man, and the Gods be damned. He didn't want to need the man.

The moment he let himself feel it, he'd fall. If he fell again and Aiden told him he was no more than momentary entertainment, he might crack. If he cracked, he would burn everything and laugh while he did. There would be no in-between. Either Aiden held his hand or handed him a torch.