14. Dog Fight

Chapter 14: Dog Fight

Silence filled the field as the two most interesting figures at the party stared each other down before finally their aggressive eyes turned away from each other and the two started to part ways. Nothing else needing to be said for now.

Sega didn’t spare his father a disgruntled look. The man did things like this for fun, and no amount of foul-mouthed words would cause him any irritation. He stopped as he glanced back toward Rafeo. “Meet me in my study?”

Rafeo nodded, his jaw ticking visibly. “I’ll be there shortly. I need to see about my brother... and yours.”

Sega placed a slender hand on the fine, gold material of Rafeo’s shoulder. “Don’t do anything reckless.”

Rafeo snorted, his green eyes sliding towards Sega as he shook his head. “I can’t do anything more reckless than randomly calling out the claim to a future mate, now can I?"

Sega chuckled, “ouch, fair. Let’s talk about it when you come."

Rafeo watched as the tall figure of Sega began to walk away before turning back. Aiden stalked off, conversing with people from their pack like he hadn’t just raged war with their Prince. Most of the elders who knew them as children didn’t seem to place his brother, which wasn’t something so out of place. His brother had changed completely, and if it wasn’t because they were brothers, he too wouldn’t have recognized Aiden.

Rafeo closed his eyes in annoyance. He wouldn’t confront him now, but the moment he had Aiden alone, he would slam his face into a wall. Turning on his heels, he walked past Cerise and Liathan before pausing and turning with furrowed brows. “You two, you little pack of troublemakers. Did you know anything about this?”

Both boys shook their heads. Rafeo felt inclined to believe them because they both wore the same dumbfounded look as everyone else. It seemed that Naki had indeed thought of this farfetched plan all on his own, the little brat.

His eyes scanned their surroundings, trying to figure out where the two had gone. Finally, he could see the two returning to the party, and he sprinted to meet them. If he were the violent type, he would have given Naki a firm slap in the face for being so foolish.

The moment he reached the duo, Leion held up his hand to pause his tirade of words. “You do not need to say anything, Rafeo. Naki and I have had a long talk, and I’ve discussed with him the real situation he is getting himself into. I feared that he did such a thing for us and for my brother.” Leion looked at Naki. “I couldn’t just stand by quietly and take our burdens onto his shoulders like that.”

Leion placed a reassuring hand on Naki’s shoulder. “I’ve told him our plans for this situation, but ultimately you must understand it is up to Naki if he wants to continue this or not. I am fully aware of where your discontent lies and why, but it’s up to you to explain that to Naki if you feel it’s all for the best. You know Naki best, nothing detours him.”

Rafeo sighed, wondering why Leion could always steal all of the hot air out of him before he could blow it all out. They had their little fights, yes, but Leion could always calm him down before he reached his boiling point. He turned sharp eyes on his brat of a brother, and Naki instantly inched away.

“Yes, I do know Naki best! I also know Naki is a fucking stubborn brat with a brick for a brain most of the time! You! Do you have nothing to say for yourself?”

“I don’t know. It depends on how angry you are.” Naki stayed a suitable distance away from his brother. His brother never hit him, but that didn’t mean he hadn’t grabbed him by the tail and hung him upside down once or twice. Even for a second, that type of punishment was miserable. He eyed Leion, who gave him one of those soft smiles on his face he was famous for.