34. One of the Big Dogs Now

Chapter 34: One of the Big Dogs Now

Naki trailed after Kiala, much like he had for the last two days. He had never walked so far in his entire life. He never stayed in his shifted form for so long. Youngsters did not need to participate during Mating and Moon seasons. They stayed in the pack lands with dedicated sitters while the adults did their thing. Since he never needed to stay shifted for such a long period, it felt odd and itchy, almost like he just needed to stretch and wiggle his fingers and toes.

"Don't do it," Kiala said casually in front of him, her sleek form lazily moving across the land.

They traveled at what could be called a trot most of the day, but then Kiala would zoom off, and he would have to work his shorter legs to keep pace.

"This is a test of endurance. It is far easier for us to sustain a humanoid form. We don't realize it because we don't have to think about it." She glanced back, her keen eyes shining in the bright daylight. "It has become unnatural for us to remain this way for an extended time. Not so long ago, we were only this way. There was no shifting. This was the true form."

Naki listened silently, in awe of the story. It amazed him to think that before they could not shift. He looked around him. He had never seen this part of their world. Naki could not tell if they were simply deep into Aiden's Mountains or if they had perhaps crossed parts of the Field, he had never seen.

He had no idea in what direction they were traveling. The land turned lush green, splashed with so many vibrant plants that it looked surreal. It was no longer a rocky scene dotted with green. This was nature at its fullest. Still, the land rolled and different peaks sat higher than the rest. They were still within some sort of mountain formation.

"What happened?" He eyed Kiala curiously. "Why did we become Shashiva? To blend in with humans if the barrier ever failed us?"

Kiala chuckled, "If only it was such an innocent reason, Naki." Kiala traveled forward, her silky fur blowing with the light breeze. "No, this was an atonement from the Gods," she said solemnly. "Or so the Cloud history goes. Up there, the Gods are peskier than down here. They meddle more. It has been said that before, when we were pure, there were those among us who were greedy, and their souls were born blacker than an abyss. When these dark souls began to find old scriptures about how to pull magic, they became obsessed and powerful. I suppose it is always a sad point in history when the bad guys discover something great. It makes you wonder how history would have been different if someone with a good soul and heart discovered something of power first."

Kiala paused, looking around as if debating which direction to take. "Hmm, we are near. We can reach my home by midday." She looked back at Naki, who panted slightly. "Need to rest? Your stamina is terrible."

Naki shook his head. "No, I'm okay. Haha. I guess I didn't realize what a lazy life I lived. I didn't have anything to do or anyone who needed me to do anything, so I just roamed for about half of my days. Hopefully, by the end of this trek, I will have better endurance."

Kiala gave him a rueful look. "You will, young one. You certainly will. Let's continue then. The Mountain is near. Save your awe for later. You will need it."

Naki continued with Kiala, keeping pace with her. "So they turned us into Shashiva because we discovered how to pull magic? Did they not want that?"

"No, that was not the reason. Gods do not punish discovery, no matter if the outcome of the discovery is good or bad. I believe that, though infinite in power, they simply play the role of observers. They intervene only if the course of things may lead to the destruction of their creations. They let us write our timelines, but combined, the Gods encompass infinite knowledge."