28. Light Wolf

Art by Serinityainferno

Chapter 28: Light Wolf

Aiden had been getting odd stares all day. Every corner he turned seemed to have someone around, giving him the side eye. They must have thought he was a fool and a spectacle all at once. In less than a week, he had brought a werewolf to their feet, tried to murder a future pack leader, and now he walked around sporting a bandage over his eye.

He offered his latest gawker a lopsided smile, letting them know that he blatantly noticed them staring. The pair of pretty young girls both turned away, giggling as they walked off. Aiden cocked a thick brow, unsure what was so funny. Surely he did not look that outrageous with the bandage over his eye. He felt that he looked rather suave, roguish even.

"All the ladies are talking about you, King Aiden. You have made a name for yourself as a muscle man around here, it seems."

Aiden turned, the threads of his fine brown cape brushing over the marble floor with the action. Today everyone would depart, and he dressed in his royal garb, the mountain colors of browns, dark greens, and gold strung throughout his outfit. King Alfonz walked towards him, his honey-brown eyes alight with mirth. The man's statuesque frame decked in yellows, light greens, purples, and black, the royal colors of the Meadow Pack.

"King Alfonz, it's always a pleasure, but I'm afraid we have not had much time to talk about all the events that have happened. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for causing so much disruption in one session."

Alfonz reached Aiden's location, clasping the other on his shoulder. "It is not you who needs to apologize, Aiden. I agree that no one has much time to talk at such an important meeting with all the mayhem, but it's been a strange year for many of us. It seems that winter will approach before the Moon season this year. I had hoped to talk about resources with you here, but I believe we all need to return home to make sure things are in order. I believe it will be best if we call a much smaller meeting before the winter to ensure the best hopes for all of our packs."

Aiden nodded his head, a solemn expression on his face. He walked along with Alfonz, his shorter legs keeping stride as they moved. "That would be wise. I know there will be much need for your healing herbs and ingredients over the winter. We have much coal mined from the mountains and can continue mining it throughout the chilly days. I know I would be very grateful for many of your famous fishing nets and shallow-water boats in exchange."

Alfonz smiled. He was happy to see that at least one of the younger leaders showed care for his pack over his ambitions. "That does indeed sound like a fair trade. Aiden, I would gladly pay a personal visit to discuss things further after a quick return trip home. I have come today to have a private chat about concerning matters, however. I wondered if you'd grant me a private audience."

Alfonz stepped closer, his head swiveling slightly to make sure they had no prying eyes. "There are some things that I feel might interest you about your new pack mate. It is information that I fear might mean some unpleasant business."

Aiden's brows furrowed, and his eyes cast about as they continued their languid pace. "I... have recently had some irking feelings in the back of my mind. It has been a few years since the death of the late Mountain King, but he relayed his trust in you and anything you might have to share with me in the coming years. I thought that all of his ramblings in his dying days were just those of a sick man. After spending much more time around the Field's Prince and King, as well as these off-events." Aiden's mouth drew into a tight line. "I believe something is going on that I can't fathom."

They passed by a group of people chatting amongst themselves, and Alfonz offered a kind and gallant smile as they passed. "The Field King made an early exit this session, claiming urgent business with his new lands. I found it odd, seeing as Lord Rafeo departed shortly before him and could not have reported any incidents this quickly. Sources tell me that he traveled in the direction of his pack. However, my current eyes on the Field tell me that he had not returned home."