Chapter 36: Politics

Third Person Perspective

Jesse called a meeting with the Alphas that were detained for questioning after The Ball was canceled at the discovery of what was done to Rebecca, and the kidnapping of the daughter of Alpha Alex of the Northern Wolves Pack located in Juneau. Jesse had discussed matters with his father and democracy seemed the most peaceful solution to the problems they now faced.

It was apparent Marcus hoped to shroud his actions in secrecy and use subterfuge to get away with his misdeeds, but the flaw in his plans is that he did not know how connected Rebecca was to Jesse and that she had the power to bring him to justice.

To be fair, Rebecca was only told of Jesse's identity two weeks before. It was the perfect trap, and Marcus' behavior within the territory of Nova Scotia made him worthy of the death penalty. They just had to make sure there was a moral consensus amongst the packs to put pressure on resolving these conflicts with diplomacy.

The conference room had a large table in the center to accommodate all the Alphas invited to the discussion. At the head of the table sat Jesse's father, Alpha Douglas, because the meeting was being held in his providence. Jesse sat in the seat to his right.

As the time came for the meeting to begin, all the seats filled up except one: Alex, the Alpha of the area surrounding Juneau. He said he was going to talk to Marcus prior to the meeting, but had not returned. Guards were informed to send him up ten minutes ago, but no one could find him, though Marcus was still securely within custody.

It came time to start, and there was still no word from Alpha Alex. We decided to get started without him.

Alpha Douglas stood up and the side talking ceased, "Thank you all for staying and for coming to this meeting. I appreciate your support as we unravel these issues surrounding the Juneau Region of our shared territory."

He continued, "We established The Unified Alliance of the Northern Packs five years ago and we have enjoyed five years of peace. It has come to my attention that some of the leadership in the Juneau Region has committed crimes against the humanity of their citizens. By the charter, this is not allowed to be condoned, and anyone who commits these vile acts must be held accountable. The sentence is death.

"I have in my prison councilmen accused of gang rape amongst other forced sexual acts without consent, torture, public humiliation, and all done to a minor. I also have Alpha Alex's Beta Marcus who has been accused of all the charges his friends committed as well as multiple counts of mistreatment, torture, and psychological abuse.

"Within the Providence of Nova Scotia Marcus was caught in the act of engaging in acts of torture and attempted murder. This charge alone is worthy of the death sentence.

"We are a civilized society. We do not condone such brutal acts of violence. These things were done by monsters in our past, and we have dedicated our shared power towards eliminating these heinous practices from our society to build a better future based on wholesomeness, decency, respect, and peace by rule of law.

"I would like to hear from this gathering of rulers your proposals of how to move forward in bringing justice for these heinous charges. I open the floor to discussion." Alpha Douglas sat down.

An Alpha raised a finger in the air, "I recognize Alpha Mark of the Polar Circle Pack." Alpha Douglas nodded to him giving him permission to speak.

"Thank you Alpha Douglas. I would like to know who is the witness for these accusations and how can we trust their word that the accusations are true?" Alpha Mark proposed a question to the assembly.

"Yes, Alpha Gregory of the Northern Lights Pack, you may speak." Alpha Douglas recognized his hand gesture.

"I would like to testify to the character of the witness. She has been part of my pack for 17 years. She has been a dutiful daughter, a straight A student, and a compassionate and caring member of my community. I have no doubt in her witness being true. She is the type of person who finds the good in everyone. If she accused these men of these vile acts, I will back her claims, because she has carried herself with honor and dignity. She is not a liar, nor does she stretch the truth. I trust her account based on knowing her well. If there was any redeeming qualities in these men, she would have found them." Alpha Gregory paused, "I motion for the death sentence to be carried out on each man who violated her because I would like to see a good, kind soul like her receive justice."

"I call on my son Jesse, to speak." Alpha Douglas recognized his gesture.

"I witnessed what Marcus did to the teenage girl. She was left pregnant, stripped, bound, whipped, and dying in pools of her own blood by her fated mate Marcus. I also received her witness of the crimes done by the other council members. There was no lie in her words. She is a shattered, broken soul, struggling with trauma from the abuse she endured. I second Alpha Gregory's motion and move the motion to a vote." Jesse testified.

"There is a second motion. Is there any further discussion? Yes, Alpha Rafael, you are recognized." Alpha Douglas nodded in his direction.

"I would like to ask where is Alpha Alex? Why is he not present to offer a defense of his own men?" He completed his question and sat down.

"Jesse is recognized by the council." Alpha Douglas motioned to his son.

"I would like to answer Alpha Rafael's question. Alpha Alex wanted to talk to his men prior to this meeting, but the guards in the prisons have been unable to locate him when given orders to remind him of the approaching start time. We have sent attendants, guards, and housekeeping servants all over the facilities for the past twenty minutes trying to find Alpha Alex so he could have his voice heard. We have not been able to find him. It seems he has left the facilities knowing what is at stake for his men, and despite our best efforts, he cannot be located for questioning. If he is complicit, he may be trying to run. I have sent guards into the local villages to try to locate him." Jesse reported professionally.

"Yes. I recognize Alpha Rafael once again." Alpha Douglas motioned in his direction.

"Are there any witnesses to the requests to talk to the accused? I would like evidence that Alpha Alex has not been detained in any way from meeting with us today." Alpha Rafael questioned.

"I recognize Alpha Scott." Alpha Douglas motioned to him.

"I heard the discussion, because I was sitting at the table next to Alpha Douglas and Jesse at lunch time. They were talking to Alpha Alex respectfully about the charges against his people so he could prepare himself for this meeting. I would like to add that Alpha Alex seemed frightened by the news, rather than angered as I would expect, considering the content of the accusations. I believe as Jesse, that he may be complicit, but we will not know until we find him. I give a third motion to move to vote without Alpha Alex present. He had a chance, and he chose not to be present." Alpha Scott concluded his comments.

"There is a third motion to put justice to a vote. Is there any further discussion?" Alpha Douglas waited the appropriate amount of time, "Going once? Twice?" We will now vote on each person accused of heinous crimes against a teenage girl.

"For Marcus, Beta of the Northern Wolves Pack, how many vote guilty? 10. How many opposed? 2 Any abstaining? 1. Marcus is guilty and will be sentenced to death.

"On the councilmen accused of heinous crimes against a teenager, how many guilty? 10 How many opposed? 2. How many abstaining? 1. They are also guilty and sentenced to death.

"Sentencing will be carried out tomorrow at 10am in the inner courtyard.

"Thank you all for your input, and your continued pursuit of peace. Meeting adjourned." Alpha Douglas stood from his seat and the session ended. They each broke off into smaller groups to socialize, eat, or rest.