Chapter 19: Boundaries

I woke up in a hospital in Juneau.

Marcus was sitting in a chair waiting for me to wake up. When I finally did, he scolded me.

"Did you know you had a brain bleed?" He said it in accusing tone.

"It is possible. You took me against medical advice, and did not offer me medical care when I told you I had a severe concussion, so I wouldn't be surprised if I developed a brain bleed from neglect." I was unflappable.

"Then why did you go for a 2 hour run?" He accused me further.

"I love running. Do you listen to yourself? You are supposed to love me and care about me, not cut me off from my entire network of support and neglect my medical needs. How was I supposed to find a doctor on a recluse island? My mate has the power to call a boat for me, but wouldn't when I told him I needed to follow up with a doctor. Do you even have the faintest idea who I am? You only know my name. Your wolf called me a whore at our introduction. I am done being insulted and having valid medical conditions ignored. I deserve to be treated right." It felt like my argument was scrambling.

Did I say that out of order? I was feeling confused. The room began to spin.

Then everything went black again.

I woke up to an empty, dark hospital room.

I pulled the ivs out, and shut off all the monitors. I snuck out the door and ran in my hospital gown for the elevator. I got all the way to the ground floor before I was caught.

I discovered my condition must be more severe than I realized. The adrenaline made the edges of my vision turn black, and strong hands caught me before I hit the floor.

Marcus was there when I woke up.

"You are experiencing confusion from the complications from your concussion. You must stay in bed and rest." Marcus explained.

"I want my mom." I demanded.

Marcus tried to sooth me so I screamed, "I WANT MY MOTHER! SOMEONE GET ME A DAMN TELEPHONE! DON'T YOU DARE HUSH ME YOU KIDNAPPER!"

A nurse came into the room and demanded to know why I was screaming.

"I don't know this man. I want my mother. He kidnapped me two days ago. I want to go home." I explained.

"Is this true?" The nurse looked at me confused.

"Get me a phone and I will prove it." I challenged.

She handed me the bedside phone and I called my parents' landline.

My mother picked up the phone, "Hello?"

"Mom?" I said.

"Rebecca! Where did they take you?" She inquired

"Hoonah, an Island off of Juneau." I paused. "Mom I am in a hospital in Juneau. I am in and out of consciousness and I am surrounded by strangers. I am confused and scared. I need you."

"I will be on the next plane." She didn't even hesitate. "Which hospital?"

I looked at the nurse, "What hospital is this?"

"Bartlett Regional" she answered.

"Bartlett Regional." I repeated her.

"I am on my way." My mother confirmed.

"Thank you mom. I love you." I said before hanging up.

Marcus' kind demeanor was beginning to crack, darkness began to cloud his eyes. He sat in the chair in the corner of the room and brooded. I am guessing he thought the mate bond was the cure for basic respect and human decency, but I have standards.