Chapter 20: Surprise

I woke up to a familiar face. My mother had arrived and I felt a flood of relief. Tears streamed down my face as I couldn't hold back the torrent of emotions.

"Oh honey! It will be ok!" She hugged me tightly as I sobbed into her shoulder.

"I want to go home!" I demanded.

"About that. I am sorry honey, but your presence here is political. If I take you home, our pack could go to war." My mother explained.

"Why? Why would a small, backwater pack risk war with us?" I was confused.

"They control most of the region of Juneau and have conparitively plentiful resources, including soldiers." My mother continued.

"So the man kidnaps me, cuts off all my support systems, and strands me on an inescapable island to groom me into his obedient little mate, ignoring my medical needs, and blames me for the results of his twisted games? I want out and I will reject him right now!" I took a breath, "I Rebecca Larson reject Marcus... Damn it all! That is why he wouldn't tell me his name." I was furious. Where there was anger, I now felt hatred. The room began to spin again as my blood pressure increased, and I grabbed the bed rails to steady myself.

"Do you know his name?" I demanded with clenched teeth.

"Honey, slow down." My mother looked like she was barely holding it together now. "Even if you could reject him, people will die. You can't. Not right now."

"I only have until you are out of the hospital to see you, and then those guards by your door will escort you back to the island. There is little to be done. I am sorry." My mother looked defeated.

It was then the nurses changed shifts and a nurse walked in to change the white board. She looked at the date and scowled mumbling to herself as she fixed the last shift's mistake. The date had not been changed in two days.

She introduced herself and I tried to smile and greet her, but my mind was already calculating. I am late. My period is always on time and I am late. I have no doubt in my mind that if I am pregnant they will kill the child, so I will have to be smart.

"Mom?" She looked up, "Come closer."

She came closer putting her ear by my lips.

I whispered, "Smile like we are having a sweet moment." She did. "I think I may be pregnant. I need you to smuggle me a test." She smiled at me and kissed my forehead going along with the con. "Of course sweetie."

I hugged her, "and tell Jesse if I am. He deserves to know." I whispered even softer. A tear escaped down my face at the thought of him.

"You are right. I understand." She looked at me thoughtfully, "You know what, let me see if the nurse will let me get you some ice cream from Cold Stone. Oreo is your favorite right? I will be right back. Get some rest."

My mother was gone for about an hour, and thankfully Marcus remained missing. I pretended to sleep just incase. When I smelled my mother coming, I watched and waited for her.

She placed the ice cream on the table, and I pretended to be overjoyed.

Then I asked her to help me to the bathroom.

Once inside, she silently handed me a thin film style test. I smiled recognizing it would be easy to destroy.

She also handed me an empty Cold Stone cup. I peed in the cup and added the strip. It was positive. I sat back on the toilet and tears streamed down my face.

Jesse's child is growing inside of me. I saw his reddish hair and blue eyes. Did he want children? We hadn't even talked about it yet. Our relationship was so new, but he said he wanted me as his mate, and that meant mother of his children. I knew he would want this baby. It was concieved with love, and I wanted Jesse to be the father of my children.

At this very moment, I wanted nothing more than to see this child alive and to grow. There was no escape, so I needed to think practically. Marcus could never know.

I worried if I could pull it off, but since Marcus has blue eyes too, and I have red hues in my hair, any of Jesse's features would pass for mine. If I could get Marcus to claim the pregnancy the baby would be safe. I knew what I had to do, and it made me want to vomit.

I showed my mother, and she made eye contact with me, concerned. She was waiting for me to react. I shut my eyes and breathed deeply. I would have to seduce my mate to save my child.

I turned on the water and whispered in my mother's ear, "Tell Jesse what I am going to do next is to save our child, that I love him, and I am so sorry. He doesn't deserve any of this."

My mother nodded. "I will tell him" She promised in a whisper.

I rinsed the cup, turned off the water, and flushed the test. Then I put a smile on my face and walked back into the room leaning on my mother.

Marcus was back and my mother greeted him warmly.

"Marcus?" He looked up at me. "Would you hold me? I am cold."

His eyebrows raised in shock, but he didn't argue. He sat on my bed and wrapped his arms around me. The mate bond felt amazing, but I kept my head on straight. I had a mission to mate with the devil within two weeks. I couldn't fail or my child would die.

I reached for my ice cream, and Marcus got it. He helped feed me, and I offered him a bite. He smiled. When he went to get up, I grabbed his hand and didn't let him leave so he sat by my side holding me until I fell asleep.

It felt like the ultimate betrayal of myself, but for Jesse's child I would give my life.