Part 2: Chapter 17: Mate

⚠️ Warning: Contains kidnapping, isolation, and dark triad psychology. ⚠️

Chapter 17: Mate

I was discharged from the hospital early the next morning, and summoned to the Alpha's office immediately after. He brought me before the council where I was asked to I recount the events of the previous day, and I was forced to describe the embarrassing details of the harassment I endured. The Alpha ruled to punish George by shipping him off to live with some of his cousins in Washington State, because he simply would prefer to restore the peace then deal with upstarts like George.

George was banned from entering pack grounds for five years, and only then, if he chooses to learn from his mistakes and change his behavior.

It was a compassionate ruling, due to George's age and immaturity. I think the Alpha was hoping that with time George would grow up a little. That's why I liked our Alpha. He believed in the power of people to change.

As I was leaving the council meeting where George was sentenced, a loud roar ripped through the back room of the connecting chambers where private sessions on issues of high importance were discussed amongst the elite leadership. The door burst open, and a large man with black hair roared, "Mate!"

He was looking at me, and Samantha was ecstatic. My heart dropped, and my blood turned ice cold.

I barely had time to pack, before I was shipped off by force to some distant territory. I did not even recognize the name. I was not even allowed to say goodbye to my parents and my pack link was forcibly severed before I could tell anyone.

I was alone, terrified, and completely miserably heartbroken. I sobbed the entire way in grief for Jesse. I didn't even get to say goodbye.

When we reached my mate's land, I became depressed. He lived on an Island called Hoonah off of Chichagof Island on the Alaskan Panhandle. If he turned out to be an abusive person, I would require a boat to escape. His land was best known for its overpopulation of bears. Quaint.

I learned that he is the Alpha's Beta, but I learned little else in my travels to his land. I hadn't even had a single proper conversation with him. I felt unsafe and terrified.

As the boat pulled up to the island, I had to admit it was beautiful. If I wasn't so heartbroken and emotional I might have enjoyed seeing this place, but currently, I was absolutely miserable.

My mate showed his face for the first time the entire trip as the boat was lashed to the dock. I assumed he must have been busy, but I am sure his people told him I was sobbing and it was probably not the best time to introduce himself.

He was tall, about six foot two with blue eyes, and raven black, straight hair. His hair was short of the the sides and back and long on the top, styled with slight hair gel. His skin was pale with black stubble growing in on his face. He wore black slacks and a white button up shirt. He had removed the rest of his formal attire he had worn for his meetings up north, and now looked like a ostentatious pirate aboard his ship. All he needed was a pair of boots, a handle bar mustache, and a big hat.

He was fit, with defined muscles and a slender build. He appeared to be about thirty years old. His teeth were straight, but slightly yellow. He probably is a coffee drinker. He smelled of the ocean breeze from the boat ride, and a woodsy scent like freshly cut wood with a hint of his own sort of musk from traveling.

He wasn't ugly, and to be honest, was quite handsome, but my heart craved another face and another scent. I am far from fickle. I wanted Jesse.

His eyes were cold and calculating. His words were harsh and commanding: "Come on. We need to go. The others will bring your things. Follow me."

I made a promise to myself that I would survive this by locking my heart away and never showing this man how I feel. I could tell immediately he was not to be trusted, and I was not anyone's fool. Unfortunately, my heart was in too much pain to hide it entirely. I was not strong enough. My pain kept leaking out of my eyes.

I walked silently behind him, off the boat, down the wharf, and up a path to a small village. He led me into a house that was more of a cabin. It was not fancy but well built and sturdy with wooden finishes. It was small, but not cramped, and smelled of pine.

"This will be your new home. I will write down a schedule so you know when I will need you to help with meal preparation and laundry, but other than that, you are free to intermingle and adapt to the community. I encourage you to make some friends. You seemed awfully distraught on the way here, and I would like you to enjoy your new life. I will be back around 5pm for dinner." With that he left.

I glanced at a clock. It was now 3:00pm. I looked in the kitchen for supplies. I saw frozen meat, rice, potatoes, and vegetables. I found the ingredients for a casserole I used to make at home and started to prepare it.

I decided that if I was going to survive, I needed to start out on a good footing. Maybe my mate isn't abusive.

I had dinner done and cooling by 4:30pm. I sat on the couch in the living room and felt numb. The pain was severe, but I had run out of tears to cry.

My mate returned at 5:00pm on the dot as promised and he smiled when he smelled what I had cooked. He walked over to greet me, "I see you have made dinner like I asked. Thank you. It smells good. Would you join me for dinner?"

I nodded and walked into the kitchen. I placed two settings next to the food and served myself, leaving the second setting for my mate. I had no idea how much he eats so I didn't want to make him angry.

He served himself and sat across from me at the table.

"What should I call you?" I asked. I realized I don't even know his name.

"My name is Marcus. I know your name is Rebecca. I was aware you were invited to the hearing and I heard your name in passing." He explained.

I nodded in response.

"Why are you so sad?" Marcus looked at me with concern, but it didn't reach his eyes.

"I didn't get to tell anyone good-bye before my entire life was uprooted and I was thrown into a world of complete strangers in a foreign place. I don't know of any better reason to be sad frankly." I stirred my food around on my plate without eating it.

Marcus took a bite. "This is quite good. Make sure you add the ingredients to the shopping list on the refrigerator so I can make sure we have what we need to make it again. "

I nodded. Depression settled on my shoulders like a heavy blanket. One stray tear escaped, but I hid it before Marcus could see it.

"Do you like ice cream? There is a little shop down the street that makes ice cream with fresh cream. It is amazing. I would like to bring you there after dinner." Marcus smiled at me.

"That's fine." I suddenly remembered, "I suffered a severe concussion just before I was called to the council meeting. I was under our pack doctor's supervision and under strict orders to return after the meeting for monitoring. Do you have access to a doctor here that could monitor my condition until I can recover?"

I hoped I could buy a few days before the topic of sleeping arrangements, mating, and marking became a question. Maybe the concussion card would work in my favor.

"Oh really?" Marcus seemed surprised. "How did that happen?"

"I was saving a man's life and fell off a cliff into the ocean. The waves bashed me against a boulder and I nearly blacked out." My lips began to tremble and tears flowed down my face.

"How did you survive?" Marcus asked softly trying not to upset me further.

My voice was raw and cracked as I spoke, "My boyfriend jumped in, rescued me, and swam with me over 200 yards through freezing water and swift currents to the wharf where the fishermen were unloading their boats. He saved my life, and I didn't even have the chance to tell him thank you and good bye."

His eyes turned to slits at the word, "boyfriend", but I hardly noticed.

My entire body began to shake, and tears soaked my face. I walked out of the room, went to the nearest bedroom, and shut the door. I wrapped myself in a blanket and sobbed until I ran out of tears.