Chapter 11: Movie Night

When I returned to the Pack House, my mouth watered at the smell of fish cooking. I ran in the wolf flap, and to my room without issue. I shifted, got dressed, and headed to the cafeteria. It was five minutes after five.

I scanned the room for Jesse. He waved from a table across the room. I smiled.

I noticed he had his tray already so I got in line. They were serving baked haddock, steak fries, and broccoli. My stomach was growling in anticipation. I got a tray, loaded a plate with food, and found Jesse. He was sitting with some pack mates a year older than me I had not officially met yet. He slid the seat beside him out for me to sit and smiled.

"Rebecca, these are my friends: Scott, Adam, Chelsea, and David." They each smiled warmly at me. "Everyone this is my girlfriend Rebecca." I smiled and looked down, my cheeks blushing .

"Hi!" I didn't know what else to say.

Jesse hugged me tightly. He was so happy to see me. "You smell like the ocean." He said softly near my ear as he smelled my hair.

"I went for a run to the cove. The whales are back." I explained, "That's why I was late. I didn't know the exact time."

"Your hair smells amazing." Jesse responded hugging me tighter. "Maybe you can show me tomorrow."

"Sure. The gray whales are so beautiful. I try to look for them every year in the spring." My stomach rumbled reminding me I hadn't touched my food. "This looks so good. I love Haddock!" I took a bite and Adam began talking about the Star Ball ribbing David about how he didn't have a date yet. David fought back reminding Adam that he had to go to last year's dance with someone he called "Poodle Hair".

Adam shoved David and David shoved him back. Chelsea changed the subject to final exams in two months while Scott reminded her she still had two full months to study.

Their banter was friendly and made me smile. I really enjoyed my dinner and the company. Jesse seemed distracted, and slipped his hand onto my leg under the table and squeezed my thigh softly. I smiled at him. "This haddock is perfect. Did you like it? Just enough lemon pepper." I looked in his eyes and suddenly forgot the fish.

"Yes. It's good. Are you finished? I can get your tray for you." I finished my last steak fry, and Jesse took my tray to the clean up station. He returned and offered me his elbow like a gentleman. I looped my hand through, and he walked proudly out of the cafeteria with me on his arm. Not even the gossiping girls near the door could dull his smile.

We stopped by my room to get snacks, and then went up to Jesse's room for the movie. He wasn't kidding when he said the sound system was impressive. It was just like our own personal theater.

I was still hungry after the run and only one serving of dinner so I opened a bag of cheddar popcorn and began to snack on it. Jesse was sitting beside me on the bed, propped up with pillows. He placed his arm around my shoulder and pulled me so I was cradled in his arms against his chest. It felt comforting and peaceful.

The movie began with an action sequence that grabbed my attention, and I was soon zoned into the plot. That was until we heard a rattling at the door, and the door opened. Jesse sighed and paused the movie.

Before we could even see who it was, he looked at me and said, "I am so sorry. You shouldn't have to deal with this. Let me handle it." He kissed my forehead, and walked to the door with a can of pepper spray in his hand. A girl dressed in a micro mini skirt, spaghetti strap tank top, and obviously no bra walked in and smiled at Jesse. She must have bathed in an entire bottle of perfume by the smell of her. Her nails were neon pink, and her hair was curled into beach waves. She was very beautiful, but a little too desperate with her fashion choices.